Doing the 1/3 Ton - 1978 GL1000

Re: Re: Doing the 1/3 Ton - 1978 GL1000

VonYinzer said:
Whoa whoa whoa...

GLs are cool and all, but selling a Sporty for one? Must be one of the 883s. ;)

Lol, it is an 883. I don't know what I want to replace it with yet. I just don't want the payment right now, and it's so damn expensive to do anything with the EFI bikes. My old CM400 is getting ridden more now, and gets a lot more looks in a town full of Big Twins.

coldfuzion76 said:
Lol, it is an 883. I don't know what I want to replace it with yet. I just don't want the payment right now, and it's so damn expensive to do anything with the EFI bikes. My old CM400 is getting ridden more now, and gets a lot more looks in a town full of Big Twins.

Gotcha

ok., I'm in for the entertainment value.....

Anyone that has the sense of humor to build a Virago... has me on board for a LeadWing resto :D

We powerwashed our house this weekend in preparation for painting - took a break by getting up this morning and going for a hundred mile ride, with a halfway stop for breakfast. It was awesome.

I found a '76 model around the corner from me for a decent price. I might go get it next week. In the mean time I'll follow along with yours.

Rich Ard said:
Brought it home tonight.

vLJFo5Fl.jpg

Top box, trailer hitch (!), sidecar electric hookup came off tonight. Decided to leave the rear rack on for the time being; hiding the wiring to the Bates bags will be something of an endeavor and I'll wait until I have an evening to do that. Much of the auxiliary wiring was done with wirenuts and splice connectors so I'll be going through that spaghetti - but aside from that, and painting the guards satin black, what you see above is how it's going to stay.

I am considering putting a cupholder on it so I can grab something on my way to work in the morning, which is my only complaint about riding a motorcycle to work. God help me.

Pluses:

- fast as hell
- room to carry a whole bunch of camping stuff or eight gallons of milk
- more comfortable than the sofa I'm sitting on right now, which is pretty comfortable
- nobody is going to steal it
- when idling, sounds kind of like a truck
- all major maintenance done with just shy of 45K miles on the clock, two owners, the last one owns a vintage motorcycle shop

Minuses:

- tach doesn't work and they're apparently made of precious metal
- I can't even bring myself to pretend that the hot college girls are going to look at me
- it took five minutes to turn it around in my driveway

Rich I have a tach, yours for shipping.

Thanks Mike - I pulled the cable from the each and it's spinning happily., so probably the tach itself. My zip is 49006, let me know where to send money!

I'll box it and see what the shipping will be. If Canada Post is retarded expensive I'll take it to Maine next time I am over and send it from there. It is from an 81 so it has te air suspension light in it but the red line and Ratio are right.

I was given a NGW patch a couple of days ago. I'm not really sure what to do with it, there isn't a spot for it on my golf cap.

Mike - I played around with the tach a bit and it's working for the moment - and I'm flat broke in the bike fund, so don't hurry to put anything in a box.

Rich Ard said:
I was given a NGW patch a couple of days ago. I'm not really sure what to do with it, there isn't a spot for it on my golf cap.

Put it on the Yamaha...It will annoy everyone... 8)

I love Goldwings, so I'm onboard.
Is this a bike project though, a restoration or a clean-it-and-ride-it?
Anyway, keep going and please post some more photos.
Goldwings are always good.

M.

In about half an hour I'm going to put a period-correct cup holder on it. I'll be sure to post pics.

Rich Ard said:
In about half an hour I'm going to put a period-correct cup holder on it. I'll be sure to post pics.

Make sure there are no spiders in the cup holder.... 8)

Oh, I have bigger plans for this one. Don't touch that dial.

I think I'm going to start another build thread and see how long it takes everyone to notice I haven't bought another motorcycle, and that it's just pages and pages of nonsense

Back
Top Bottom