FZR600 Neo-Cafe

Can't be many of those left now. They were pretty uncommon even BITD. Well worth reviving it.

The Limey said:
Can't be many of those left now. They were pretty uncommon even BITD. Well worth reviving it.
I hope so, I have a 1000cc Thunderace to bolt into it!

What's next on yours?

I think next job is the one I've been putting off because of the amount of work - the frame.

I need to modify the sub frame to accommodate the planned seat, grind off and smooth any extraneous lugs and brackets, get it prepped for paint, then paint itself. Once that's done i'm in a position where I can slowly start bolting bits back onto it, which is always a turning point in any project.

Once I've a rolling chassis I can then easily move the bike about my slightly limited work space, and then I can begin work on the motor. Top end rebuild at the very least I should think.

Crazy thought and not where you are probably aiming to end up but have you thought about an M1 Rossi replica? Tank can stay but needs a smaller race type seat to replace the heavy looking thin they came with. That would be a modern race rep and that's the idea behind a Cafe Racer. We sort made our old bikes look more like race bikes of the day.

Just thinking outside of the box.

That's not a bad idea. Unfortunately, I'm a very large gentleman and would suffer leg clearance issues on a faired FZR600 (I've ridden a couple over the years) as they're quite compact scoots, so probably not terribly practical. I'm a big fan of Yam sports bikes from around 1985 to 1995, and in an ideal World would love a full house of FZ600, FZR400, FZR600, FZ750, OW01, FZR1000 and an EXUP thousand, so perhaps when I eventually get the big bore Fizzer that may well be the way I go, although the lure of Kenny Roberts yellow and black speedblock colours is also strong.

YZFs were hardly rare, I had one and can't remember it being difficult to find one, had a FZR600R as well and an R1.

I can only speak of my own experience of the UK, and of the OW01 era models to which I refer.That generation were never catalogue models and were only imported in batches. Only 16 currently 'taxed' and road legal in the whole country according to the DVLA (our equivalent of your DMV). By any sensible measure that's fairly rare.

Rather more 95 and on models, but still slim pickings compared to Gixxers and ZXR 750s. In any case, these fall outside my period of interest.

Today I painted the rear suspension knuckle. Did this also in Rustoleum stainless appliance enamel. Should contrast nicely with the black shock and linkages, and the spray can of Rustoleum I bought seems to last forever...

Hung the frame from the rafters, about 2.5' from the floor, ready for final tidying, prep and painting. That's an exciting point as once the frame is ready it's turnaround time bolting bits back on.

Then did a bit of housekeeping, tidied up the workshop to keep Mrs Limey happy, even though she never goes out there

The Limey said:
Then did a bit of housekeeping, tidied up the workshop to keep Mrs Limey happy, even though she never goes out there

If she knows where 'there' is, she knows too much!

I know a man with 10 OW01s, he also has a couple of YZF750 SPs and 3 R7s.
YZF750Rs were available from most Yamaha dealers from 93 onwards, not a big seller though thanks to the Fireblade.

julian.allard66 said:
I know a man with 10 OW01s, he also has a couple of YZF750 SPs and 3 R7s.
YZF750Rs were available from most Yamaha dealers from 93 onwards, not a big seller though thanks to the Fireblade.

Um, this "man" ? He sellin?

If he taxed them he'd almost double the road legal examples in the UK.

Thinking about the build while laying in bed (it kinda takes over your life!)... why don't manufacturers fit grease nipples to suspension knuckles?

Had a few other things on today, so couldn't get up to much. Finished tidying the workshop, and hung up some shelves to give me storage for finished components awaiting refitting.

I then pained the back plates for the rear wheel adjusters. I was going to polish them, but I got this can of Stainless Appliance Rustoleum that seems to be bottomless, so why not?

Today I rubber down the rear suspension dogbones. I'm undecided whether to paint them silver or black. In will sleep on it.

Also started cleaning up and rubbing down the frame.

canyoncarver said:
Um, this "man" ? He sellin?
No, a couple of the OWs are ex Yamaha WSB bikes, all of the R7s have Yamaha race kits, lovely bloke, rides the OWs regularly at UK track days.

And after much angst and deliberation I did the suspension dogbones in silver. Decided the mechanical fittings will be silver, the main structure of the frame, forks etc black.

Prep has started on the frame. Very little rust, and that's been rubbed back and rust treated. Some more rubbing to do, then it'll be ready for pain. On the plus side, most of the mounting tabs on the rear subframe for stuff like starter solenoid, indicator relay etc will be hidden by the seat unit I have planned, so minimal grinding and filing required. Happy days.

Once the frame is fully prepped it'll be picture time again.

Back
Top Bottom