Paint, zinc or anodise

Mr Bernzo

Been Around the Block
I am completing my first full build and I need some help on finishing my wheels. I have removed and cleaned all spokes and nipples and they look good. Hubs are not bad, Rims are not great, they have a little rust but I have already spent too much on this bike so trying keep any more spending to a minimum. I talked to a wheel builder about getting the wheels trued. He confirmed my fear that I had removed the zinc from my steel spokes and that they will rust. So what to do?
I can buy new spokes and nipples, rims too if I want but I will spending hundreds. Has anyone had spokes zinc plated, anodised or just painted them? I guess paint would be cheapest & if I use a good paint, it should last.
Anyone with any experience of painting spokes? I have never had anything zinc coated or anodised, is it worth it? Is it expensive?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I painted the spokes an aluminum color and the nipples a stainless steel color on the CB360 in my signature while the rim was apart. I threaded the nipples onto the spokes to hold them, then sanded the overspray off the spokes. I then taped off the threads on the spokes before I painted them. Held up well to Assy and I don't remember any issues.

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Spokes and rims are one of those "do it once" things. You can paint your gas tank anytime you feel like it or upholster a seat, but you don't want to be taking your wheels apart once you're riding your bike.

How many spokes / rim size? What bike?

Full stainless spokes from Buchanans run about $90 per wheel. Give some thought to how much you're actually saving by trying to make old ones look better or prevent rusting.

MikesXS sells nice aluminum rims for $90 or so each as well. 36 hole as they're for the XS650 but can be used on any bike with similar size hubs (I laced a rear 18" rim to a front 4LS hub off a Suzuki GT750).

Tim said:
Spokes and rims are one of those "do it once" things. You can paint your gas tank anytime you feel like it or upholster a seat, but you don't want to be taking your wheels apart once you're riding your bike.

How many spokes / rim size? What bike?

Full stainless spokes from Buchanans run about $90 per wheel. Give some thought to how much you're actually saving by trying to make old ones look better or prevent rusting.

MikesXS sells nice aluminum rims for $90 or so each as well. 36 hole as they're for the XS650 but can be used on any bike with similar size hubs (I laced a rear 18" rim to a front 4LS hub off a Suzuki GT750).
Thanks for the potential suppliers. It's a Suzuki gt185 so parts are not so common. Im in Australia so buying rims from the USA is not all that attractive. Locally I can buy spokes for $150 per wheel, then rims and building costs as well.
I agree that I don't want to have to do it again though!

Have you tried guys like Bernard Andivon down in Hamilton for spokes? He used to build a lot of wheels in a prior life and either has the tools or connections.

I usually get spokes zinc plated and then heat treated to de-gas them. On other bikes I have simply painted the spokes with a rattle can of silver paint.

I haven't heard of that guy, Google is not finding him either. Where do you get you spokes zinc plated?

1fasgsxr said:
Clear coat the spokes... use a good brand of 2k clear.
I like the idea. This will stick well to bare metal without a primer?

I'm a big fan of nickel. $75 a batch at the place near me.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 211
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 212
I have decided to go with clear 2k paint for now. Wheel is stripped, hub polished and spokes all cleaned. Hopefully receive my truing stand tomorrow then start the rebuild.

I went the tightarse option. Cleaned and painted the spokes and nipples clear. It's cold in the garage, brought them inside to dry.
My truing stand was also delivered today. Hopefully start assembly of wheel on the weekend.
dd38bc920faf276e17c6b0496c408922.jpg
5a21c89ed70aed745bd61ea033726ec2.jpg

Truing stand Axl did not fit in the front wheel bearings. Had to use some lateral thinking.
c972567dd2ed12b8ec38df18fc02c474.jpg
419b97f7842b8c98f1adc9880c3ceccb.jpg

Happy with the way the wheels came up for a first time effort. Will attack the next bike build differently and use new rims and spokes.
ab71e05fef842f4af1de53c850acb609.jpg

For rusty old spokes and nipples you can clean the rust and zinc off with plain old white vinegar, just soak until you can scrub them clean, might take a day or two.

To protect them from rusting have a look at DIY zinc plating, there's a ton on the web to read but stick to forum posts for a good overview and don't bother with buying a premade kit.

I'm stripping and replating all the hardware for my next bike, its very cheap and really easy once you get the hang of it. All of the ingredients are safe, no chemicals you can't buy at a grocery or dollar store. (White vinegar, kosher salt, imitation vanilla extract) read up on it and give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom