Rolled the civic last night - Back on the road!

Re: Rolled the civic last night - now what?

Yep, noticed that last night. I think the plan is door, front fender, stop. drive until safety is due and hopefully have saved some $$ to get something else. Going to have to swallow payments on something likely which means less money for other stuff, which blows cause I have 0 bike funds now as it is. Thank god the GL is all road worthy and running strong.

Ok. Hit the wrecker yesterday. For 80 bucks I got a door, a fender, a gas filler door. So that lead to this. Almost road worthy again.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401655347069.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401655347069.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 180
  • uploadfromtaptalk1401655378039.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401655378039.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 190
  • uploadfromtaptalk1401655438874.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401655438874.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 161

Oh my...

Is the roof caved in or just a little dimpled?
If its just dimpled grab a slide hammer that's setup to grab self tapping screws, A few little holes and some bondo should make it straight enough. The goop they use to hold the windshield in will fill in any small waves anyway.

Grazz256 said:
Oh my...

Is the roof caved in or just a little dimpled?
If its just dimpled grab a slide hammer that's setup to grab self tapping screws, A few little holes and some bondo should make it straight enough. The goop they use to hold the windshield in will fill in any small waves anyway.

LOL I went to buy one yesterday to do just that and they didn't have one in stock in the only store open Sundays. The roof isn't caved and the frame is straight, the new door when in without needing anything and it ligned right up. I used the self tapping screws as you can see to pull the rear quater panel back out and it worked ok just with vice grips. I will try that method on the roof too and if it won't work well enough I will get a slide hammer puller or glue a sheet patch over top. It will get me by for a few months or a year and then we can retire the little red car.

Well, drove the car to work today, supposed to be wicked thunderstorms and I had my laptop so I didn't want to risk getting it and myself wet. So it is "good from far, but far from good" in the body work. I got about $100 in parts paint and bondo, I'd take pics but really nothing special. A few hours here and there since the accident and it is drivable. I looked into the windshield and I think I can change it out with the scrapyard one. I have the factory service manual and it has a step by step how to pull and replace for paint or service. Will get that and a few other bits if it seems like the ole girl will make another year or 2 driving, when I do that I will do a better body job and paint the whole car, in the fall just before it gets too cold. If that all happens, I'll take pics LOL. Anyway, thanks for the support and well wishes, we got through it without breaking the bank.

Windshields are easy...just make sure you buy primer for the urethane. and you cut the tip on an small angle, then on the side that is closer to the tube you cut a v with the point towards the tube about 3/4 of and inch long and when you squeeze the tube the piece that comes out is a little a-frame house shape about an inch tall . Oh and buy fast set urethane. this same shit is awsome glue , i have used it to hold some stuff i never thought it would! ::)

Thanks, I have done the rear hatch window already mine cracked so I bought a hatch, but it was for the wrong trim level and wouldn't mount, had different controls etc. but widow was good and the same, So I cut the window out of the new to me hatch and glued it in etc. no leaks. I am confident if I can get the window out of the junk yard civic without cracking it, I can put it in mine. I did buy the fast cure for the hatch and did cut the tip as instructed, they show what you describe in the Honda Service Manual. It worked. So I have until the end of septemeber to decide if I am doing this and the other 1/4 panel wheel well to pass safety for another year.

Back
Top Bottom