'75 CB550K1 Gulf - Round...3, the fun stuff

Re: '75 CB550K Gulf - plugs, plugs, plugs

I believe the ninja 250 calipers are the most popular option, twin pot non-opposed. It's a pretty popular mod for the older zooks.

Indeed, if you're looking for a 'budget' or less obtrusive caliper they're tough to beat. There's quite a variety of pad compounds available too, along with some braided lines will make a noticable difference. I have some here, I put a pair on a GS450 with IIRC EBC street pads on them with good lines and the brakes were quite good, easily stoppie strong.

I love this build so much. It's going to look choice with the new bits and bobs.

Hey Ringo....check out this site for other ideas on making molds using foam cores and plaster. This site is full of detailed fab ideas.
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/rockey/luna/Recipe/Recipe2/Main/No08/eng_no08.html

rhavindog said:
easy swap?....what does that mean....im confused, is there such a thing?
we choose to go to the moon not becose it is easy but becouse it is hard

JFK is alive ??? ::) :)

All jokes aside, that's a good one to remember.

I do believe I work that way, I went from a simple low buck get it runnin bike to a full on frame mod hand molded tank bike with modern single sided swinger and brakes. Because...well, why not.

rhavindog said:
I do believe I work that way, I went from a simple low buck get it runnin bike to a full on frame mod hand molded tank bike with modern single sided swinger and brakes. Because...well, why not.
if it ant broke work on it till it is

And teazer i didnt quote jfk exactly or i would have mentioned him but good catch and if he is alive hes got a hell of a head ach

I've finally had a couple productive nights.

The ugly fork brace got sand blasted, then bead blasted. I think it looks much better. Until it oxidizes, but that just means I'll have something to do next winter!

brace-1.jpg

I've been pretty hesitant about the next part. I needed to cut open my muffler to insert some fiberglass packing, as it's an empty race can. I tried taking it to various machine shops to cut off the end and weld on a flange to rivet the cap back on. Nobody would touch it though... I ended up cutting the end off with a dremel, and riveting a flange on. Seems to work just fine, and it looks pretty neat too.
cutcan.jpg

rivcan.jpg

packing.jpg

Also on the list of exhaust work was the baffle that I welded into the original header behind the collector. I think it was restricting too much, as Tyler's fz600 moves a hell of a lot more air, just holding your hand behind the muffler. I cut it out and bent up some stainless mesh to make a little "buzz cone". I saw it on Swagger's blog and thought it was worth a shot - I'm not willing to run un-baffled. The perforated sheet is 50% open space, so the total open area is roughly twice the area of the pipe diameter. It shouldn't really restrict flow more than I want it to.
Old baffle:
3f44c160.jpg

New:
buzzcone.jpg

The guy drilling the rotors got back to me finally. Sounds like all's good. Dave Quinn also called me about the Hagons. It turns out one shock body was actually defective. Quick warranty fix and I'm set. Hopefully that alleviates some of the bad suspension behavior.

Booyah! Yeah paying for those vortex/buzz cones is silly...you can bust'm out quickly yourself for cheap. I'm designing the pipes for the 920 and will be running a few, one each 6" before the collector (that's where the swage is), one after the collector and one at the muffler inlet.
If i go 2-2 they'll be at ~27" from the port and then at the muffler inlets.

That's one funky MotoGP style muffler. Do you have a source for perforated tube that you wouldn't mind sharing?

What type of cutting wheels are you using in your dremel? The ones I've been buying have a tough time cutting through fiberglass. Of course, it could be my knock off 'dremel' tool.

I use the reinforced ones. The normal ones don't last long, or just grenade.

I've had decent luck with this blade that I got in a multi piece set from home depot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom