Custom GPZ550 (ZX550A and KZ550H)

adventurco said:
You gotta be pretty gentle when sanding the fins to avoid chipping...ask me how I know :eek:
Started grinding the fins. Indeed, very sensible to chipping. Got a few small chips. Not too worried about it, they started chipping very soon anyway when you ride it a lot I guess.

Anyway. I promised pics of my progress, here they are:

Painted some parts in gold, to get some nice accents.
i73jtl.jpg

repainted the ingnition lock (the areas around the mounting holes ar bad, but because of the bad steelwork. You don't see those areas anyway).
ivet12.jpg

To get a view of some of the gold accents: (I painted the front brake cylinder cover in gold too in the following hours)
2hqqec0.jpg

Repainted the side covers and started assembling everything:
67lcva.jpg

The painted cockpit, very happy with the result (paint looks waaaay better in real life ;) )
2dkzu0.jpg

Started making the mold for the rear hump with foam:
wlce1w.jpg

installed the chain: (Gpz has a neat feature the makes sure you can not shift to second gear at standstill, so I'm not worried about cracking the engine when rolling the bike and ruining the pistons ;) )
ruz6nt.jpg

Making the rear hump out of polyester:
5dlyt0.jpg

And we've got a roller! (fual tank is not painted yet, it's spray putty that you see)
2wpp9w4.jpg

Tommorow I'll be busy plastering the rear hump to prep it for painting.
Still waiting on a special switch to repair my baking oven, to bake the cylinder, cylinder head and valve cover. Can't wait to crank the engine to see if it still runs like I've dismantled it 8)

adventurco said:
You gotta be pretty gentle when sanding the fins to avoid chipping...ask me how I know :eek:

for this reason I like to polish the fins back to where I want them before i paint, that way you just take a rag with some solvent and wipe off the paint. no chips 8)

I've put the tank, and fender in their 2K clear coat today.
2zg7ome.jpg

And started assembling the engine back together, after lapping the valves. Gotta do valve timing tomorrow.
29yilaa.jpg

Hopefully I'll be finished tomorrow 8) (minus some minor detail)

Things escalated quickly today.

Picture of the finished fuel tank and mud guard.
2hnyszo.jpg

Than BOOM! Riding around 8)
21cuu5k.jpg

wklrtv.jpg

Still gotta do my seat cover, but I'll be covering it temporary with some simple black cloth.
I'll be on vacation soon, than I'll park my bike at my sister's place, she'll be making the cover for making out of fake leather.

Been riding around a bit and discovered that gas vapour leaks from the tank, causing a bubble beneath the paint on the tank.

Does anyone know a way to fix this?

japstar said:
Been riding around a bit and discovered that gas vapour leaks from the tank, causing a bubble beneath the paint on the tank.

Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Yes, 2 ways

1. strip tank and repair welds where its leaking then repaint
2. get a tank sealer kit and seal it internally....but you will still have repair the bubbled paint

My sister made my seat cover. Very pleased with the result ;D

Attachments

• WP_20160731_13_57_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160731_13_57_06_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 335
  • WP_20160731_14_08_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160731_14_08_25_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 316
  • WP_20160731_14_08_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160731_14_08_31_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 329
  • WP_20160731_14_08_40_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160731_14_08_40_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 327
Bought a new second hand fuel tank (Only 38 euros postal service included). I gotta redo the tank, because of some small leaks. I screwed up the tank by trying to MIG/MAG weld it two times, each time to grind it open again and cleaning the metal. This made the metal so thin it was barely weldable, even not possible to braze anymore.
So now I'll be brazing it the first time.

The kawasaki logo's are still on it, so I'll be using them now. After all, they have to same gold colour as I have been using for some accents on my bike.

Attachments

• WP_20160817_13_43_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160817_13_43_34_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 297
Been a while since I posted something.
But I've been riding the hell out of it, and even won a drag race event in the sub 600 cc class. You can say she has been behaving very well 8)
But the oil consumption is getting out of hand because of the scratched cylinders. I mounted them with the scratches, because the budget for reboring and new pistons wasn't there at the moment.
And because standard oversize pistons and rings cost only a fraction less than a wiseco overbore kit, the choice for wiseco was an easy decision.

https://youtu.be/BRZCjd1QjK0

Attachments

• WP_20161103_18_08_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161103_18_08_15_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 293
  • 14231840_1076806705749516_2432582969119063036_o.jpg
    14231840_1076806705749516_2432582969119063036_o.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 285
Alright, it's been a while. (again)

I had a lot on my plate past months, but in the mean time I've been gathering parts for the engine rebuild.
My cylinders are bored out to fit the Wiseco 615cc kit.
Bought all new gaskets, o-rings, oil seals, new primary chain, distribution chain, clutch plates (steel and coated), clutch springs, chain tensioner springs, oil filter, fork seals ...

So now I have start taking it easy again on the spending 8)

I also encountered the problem that my CDI unit heated up and quit giving sparks after a 15 km drive. I tried mounting the CDI and regulator in the wind (they were shielded from the wind) to cool them down, but that didn't work.
I guess they were screwed already by the high temps, so I ordered a set of second hand regulator and CDI. I'll be mounting them in the driving wind, to prevent the same thing from happening again.

Glad to be able to post updates again ;D

Attachments

• WP_20170209_19_07_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170209_19_07_59_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 311
Hellapet said:
really nice bike, too bad you'll be knocked out of the sub 600cc class soon!

We'll see what they say about the 15cc extra :p No chance of winning in the +600 cc. This green bike (kawasaki Z1000 got to 170 km/h in only 200 meters).

But it's for fun anyway, I don't do it for the medal. Although I admit it was a nice surprise :p

Got around to disassembling the engine yesterday (and this evening). Bought an impact gun and an impact screwdriver. Both a very welcome addition to the workshop it seems 8)

Engine seems to be in very good shape.

The cam chain was a bit strectched (I alligned to chain pins on the other end of the end, zo this position difference of the pins is the stretch in the picture), but I already ordered a new one anyway.

Only one small hickup: The holder for the shifter was broken off, and seems to have been repaired by the PO with some mouldable metal. Gotta get that welded :)

Now it's just a matter of getting the engine back together again as fast as possible. Because I only have about 5 weeks left for the break-in. That the lady goes to the circuit for the first time :D

Attachments

• DSCN4632.JPG
    DSCN4632.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 315
  • DSCN4640.JPG
    DSCN4640.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 305
  • DSCN4645.JPG
    DSCN4645.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 310
  • DSCN4665.JPG
    DSCN4665.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 321
donny said:
Belgian fella? Dan kunnen we nederlands praten,welke sproeiers heb je zitten?
Kzou eigenlijk eens moeten kijken, maar ik dacht 110. Ik zal binnenkort es kijken wat er in zit momenteel.
De stationairsproeiers zijn ook wat groter gemaakt met zo een vijlsetje. Die kan ik echter niet opmeten omdat mijn metertjes te dik zijn.
Maar de afstelling is nog niet optimaal.
Moet eerst nog es de kleppen afstellen, en dan kan ik nog es beginnen aan de afstelling.

doctorcat said:
looks AWESOME. can't wait to see it kicking again!
Well, in the meantime, she's already kicking. She was a blast on the circuit.
At wide open throttle she runs great, and does not consume excesive fuel. (circuit conditions).
The spark plugs are a tad too white to my likings on the circuit.
But on the street, low throttle situations, she consumes too much (8-9L / 100 km) and isn't running great (pods are known to fuck up low throttle conditions if you are using stock CV carbs).
The spark plugs on the street show a nice brown color, but they could be a tad whiter. I think on WOT she runs a bit too lean, and in low throttle conditions she runs too rich.
So I have to fiddle around with the carbs settings. (and also valve adjustment).

Main jets seem more or less good, so the next order of business are the needles, float height and most importantly the pilot jets and pilot screw.

For the moment, she is not registered anymore, as I bought a second bike (KTM 640 Adventure) to do some travels.
And as I am still young, and I don't have a personal car (company car insured by the company), my insurance costs are too fucking high to afford two bikes running at the same time.
And surplus, I just don't have the time to work on her.

But I'm still looking out for some time to work on her, and I already bought Yamaha blue dot calipers for a brake upgrade. (Maybe also a Yamaha R6 1999-2002 front fork).
So the project has not stopped, it's just on a break :)

japstar said:
Kzou eigenlijk eens moeten kijken, maar ik dacht 110. Ik zal binnenkort es kijken wat er in zit momenteel.
De stationairsproeiers zijn ook wat groter gemaakt met zo een vijlsetje. Die kan ik echter niet opmeten omdat mijn metertjes te dik zijn.
Maar de afstelling is nog niet optimaal.
Moet eerst nog es de kleppen afstellen, en dan kan ik nog es beginnen aan de afstelling.

zitten inderdaad 110 in standaard,ook bij mij.
Ik heb er nu K&N's opzitten ,toen heb ik de sproeiers uitgeboord naar 128 ,blijkbaar waren ze al eens geboord want ze waren 118.
nu loopt hij bijna goed

Back
Top Bottom