Ignition coil testing

VintageMBike

Been Around the Block
I have a 1981 Honda CB 900F. Someone told me CBR600F3 coils from and older bike are a good upgrade. I found them on ebay.

In testing them, then I test from the NON spark plug side I get a reading of 3.7 at 200 ohms. But when I stick the positive and negative leads in the Spark plug boot coming from the coil, I dont get ANYTHING until i bump the multimeter up to 200K ohms at which point the reading is 25.6. But if I move the ohms selector down on the multimeter to 200oms instead of 200k ohms I get 1 .

Is this coil any good?

That's right for those coils. Primary should be roughly 3 ohms. If you touch your black and red leads together, it will tell you what your meter's resistance is, which you would need to subtract from your reading. 25k ohms is the right number for the secondary resistance.

irk miller said:
That's right for those coils. Primary should be roughly 3 ohms. If you touch your black and red leads together, it will tell you what your meter's resistance is, which you would need to subtract from your reading. 25k ohms is the right number for the secondary resistance.

OK great! and thanks so much for responding.

So I have a 1982 Honda CB900F and the firing order is

Left hand coil 1 and 4 right hand coil 2 and 3

But the CBR600F# coils came (the previous owner wrote the firing order on the plug boot

Left hand coil 1 and 4 right hand coil 3 and 2

Can I just plug these in and ignore the numbering he wrote? that is. just plug 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 where he wrote 1 and 4 and 3 and 2?

Cheers

Yep. The coils don't care which lead goes to what. The blue and yellow wires are what needs to be on the right coil per firing order.

Back
Top Bottom