1979 CB750K Cafe - Sold

SilkySmooth750

What does "Personal Text" mean?
I've introduced myself in the new members section and got the suggestion to move my build into this section before I get too far in depth. Below are pictures I've collected so far. I plan on doing a Cafe Racer with a bit of Modern and Old School styling mixed. I got a great deal on this bike, it's basically a Junk Yard special missing quite a bit. I plan on learning a lot and look forward to finishing this thing...someday...as time and budget allow.

Here's what it looked like when I bought her, $150 cash from a nice fellow in North Phoenix AZ who said he used it as a parts bike, and is getting "too old" to work on bikes anymore:

WP_000107.jpg

I had already removed some parts like the rear fender, some disgusting ape hanger bars and some short rear shocks:

WP_000109.jpg

WP_000108.jpg

Wheels off and swing arm off:

WP_000114.jpg

WP_000115.jpg

WP_000117.jpg

WP_000130.jpg

I got the motor out last night at around 12am as well, so needless to say, I was too tired to take any pics of that.. I'm stopping by a Metal Supply store today after work to buy some steel tubing to start work on a rear hoop. I'm hoping to do something unique that looks like it was designed from the factory that way. I will post some new pics of my progress soon!

Re: 1979 CB750K Cafe Build - First Time Builder

I'm on board. Good bike to start with, and lucky for you parts are very readily available. Check out vintagecb750.com if you need, well, anything really. They have a bunch of parts that may be somewhat hard to find elsewhere, and are cheap, and Allballs for bearings, can't beat 'em.

Thanks Jewbacca for signing on!

YogiBear, I'll will check out that site, I don't think I got the advice to go to that one yet. I haven't posted in a couple days, busy at work. Here's some more information:

The motor is now out and sort of sitting on the floor, not the best place but works for now until I can get a work bench. Can anyone suggest an affordable motor stand for this beast? If I could afford it, I would love one of the stands that rotates 360 degrees, but will setttle for something that will just sit on top of a work bench. Also, in the back, that's a nice $5 section of DOM 1" steel for my rear hoop. Little did I know, there's a steel supply company about 1/8 mile away from where I work. I've literally driven past this place for 7 years on my way to and from lunch and work. They have a open to the public section with remnants and I just had to snatch this up. Not sure of the gauge, but the guy in the shop said it is plenty thick enough. The length weighed just over 3 pounds, after cutting it down, I won't be adding too much weight back to the bike. Need to find a bender here in AZ and someone who can weld it properly, hopefully using slugs to make sure it's super strong since I'm kind of a big boy and would hate for my loop to snap off at 60mph:

temporary.jpg

Here's the frame with no engine. I have to admit, I'm stuck getting the nut off the steering stem, any suggestions on getting that damn thing off would be appreciated:

temporary-1.jpg

Finally, after a late night of drinking beers and brainstorming, I saw this seat lock that seems to be unique only to the K model (thank you HoosierDaddy for pointing this out) where the seat is on a hinge. Before I lop this thing off with a cut off wheel, I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool and unique to put the ingnition switch in the key hole and maybe some LEDs in the other holes to maybe indicate on off. I know I sound very noob right now, sorry, but take a look, has anyone else done anything with this? Any suggestions?

temporary-2.jpg

as far as relocating ignition there.........i think a new plate welded on would look much cleaner......
the shape of this one looks like it should be hidden.......

also if u do make sure u always have a good chain n lock as you will lose the steering lock too!!

Followed your link to this thread... worked like a charm! ;)

So which steering yoke nut are you having trouble with?
Assume you're taking about the notched piece that is under the dust cover below the regular hex nut.
The correct tool is a spanner similar to what adjusts your rear shocks. But you can tap it loose with a hammer by using a brass punch in the notches. Don't use a steel one if you can help it, you can bugger it up.

Sinbad: I think you may be right. The picture doesn't really do it justice, but it is kind of clunky and I'd hate to force myself to use it just because it's there. It shall be removed! Thanks for the advice on the chain and lock as well. When she's finished, I'm sure I'll be so paranoid that she'll have a gaurd dog chained to her at all times!

HD: Once again, you always have the best advice, but I'm embarassed to say, I haven't even gotten that far. It's the very first nut that I can't get off. I can't seem to get any real leverage with a cresent wrench and I even tried a plumbers pipe wrench. It just won't budge!

SilkySmooth750 said:
I can't seem to get any real leverage with a cresent wrench and I even tried a plumbers pipe wrench. It just won't budge!

Doubt if you get it without f-ing it up with either of those... Proper tool for the proper job. You need to invest in a 6 point metric socket set. If you want to just "piece meal" individual sockets, I can check what size you need for that particular nut. Then you'll need to get an 8, 10, 12, 14 and a 17mm as they are most common.

I just got a nice metric set for Father's day, but none of my sockets are big enough to remove that big ole beast. Thanks Hoosier, I'll try to look it up and see if I can figure that out.

Since it's so hot in Arizona right now at 113 degrees Fahrenheit, I haven't been in the garage much. Even with the garage door open, the heat's pretty stifling. I did decide to take some more close up pics of my forks to get some advice, suggestions, etc.

Here is a closer picture of the forks outside with a little sun still shining:

temporary-3.jpg

Here's a closer picture of the tubes. One tube had a registration tag sticker or something on it, and I didn't see it until it was too late and pulling it through the trees caused it to shred up a bit and leave behind it's sticky residue. Before I go at it with some "Goop Off", I want to make sure that it won't ruin the finish. Any suggestions on how to clean up the tubes really good without damaging them?

temporary-4.jpg

Here's a closer picture (sorry for the flash reflection) of a little bit of rust I found. Little rust spots. Anyone know how to get that off without damaging the finish of the tube?

temporary-5.jpg

I'm pretty much set that my first major component rebuild will be the forks, a fun way to finally get my feet wet.

steel wool or an SOS pad should take that rust right off

Yep, Yogi is on it. Get you some 4 ought (0000) steel wool. It's nice and fine and will clean up chrome in a heartbeat. For the sticker residue your "Goop-off" is fine, acetone, rubbing alcohol, even WD-40 on a rag will remove it too. Chrome is some hard shit and most light chemicals wont hurt it. Good news is those minor pits are up at the top and not where the seals ride as it compresses. I go to Wal-Mart in the womens nail polish section to get my acetone, much cheaper than it is in the paint section. ;)

0071793703030_300X300.jpg

Scrunch up some aluminium foil, spray on some WD40 and rub the fork legs. Seriously - it is the best thing to use ;)

Yogi and HD: I'll check out all of those options. It's funny that I'll be in the women's section at WalMart for anything other than telling my Girlfriend to hurry up and pick some nail polish. LOL.

Hillsy: The crumpled tin foil and WD-40, is that to remove the rust?

I've decided that it's so hot out, that any work in the garage in the next month or so would probably kill me, so I am going to start stock piling parts. Since I live close to that salvage yard, I should be able to make short work of the loooooong list of parts this thing is missing.

I found this solution for an engine stand, since 250 for one is so ridiculous. I think it's a great idea.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=5319.0

SilkySmooth750 said:
Yogi and HD: I'll check out all of those options. It's funny that I'll be in the women's section at WalMart for anything other than telling my Girlfriend to hurry up and pick some nail polish. LOL.

Yeah, sometimes I get some looks from the old bags in that section. "Just look at that guy... with those greasey nails... he probably is makeing Meth with it... or doing something obscene" ;)

SilkySmooth750 said:
I found this solution for an engine stand, since 250 for one is so ridiculous. I think it's a great idea.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=5319.0

Sweet, you can't go wrong following octane's lead. Lars has been on my watch list for a while. He has one of the original Cafe' GoldWings, "Bulldog" and his Indian land speed racer is KICK ASS!

Hoosier Daddy said:
"Just look at that guy... with those greasey nails... he probably is makeing Meth with it... or doing something obscene" ;)

lmao!

Thank's to some helpful advice from HD, got some new tools and removed the steering stem. Also got the kick stand off, so the frame is completely stripped.

After removing the stem, my heart sank a bit and have found my first area of concern. It could be serious or no big deal, but hoping to get some advice. I am not sure what this is callled exactly, I'm going to go with steering stop. I took a couple pics of the bike, sidways, but this is the metal plate that sticks out from the steering head, and I assume stops the steering from going hard over either way. It looks bent to me. I don't even know how somehting like this gets bent. How do I get it back to how it should be? Will it be OK the way it is?

temporary-7.jpg

At a close look, it's easy to tell it's tilted over to one side

temporary-6.jpg

If anyone wants other pics from other angles, I'd be glad to post them. I'm hoping this isn't a giant issue.

That tang is for your steering lock - the steering stops are on the bottom clamp.

It shouldn't be a problem, but if you are worried about it you could lay the frame down on it's RHS, support the top of the neck with a block of wood and a couple of careful hits on the tang with big hammer should straighten it up.

Or just grind the whole thing off.

Update! I'll try to keep it short, since I always seem to ramble. Not too long ago I went and sourced by own 1" steel tube, thinking it would be cheaper to buy the material and then finding some place to bend it for me and then someone to weld it on for me. Well, one day a couple weeks ago, I was just messing around on eBay and saw some rear hoops for sale at $40 shipped. I went in and took a gander at the hoop and saw (probably for the first time ever) the seller had listed a phone number and it just so happened to be in an area code in Arizona. Just for S&G's I thought I'd take a shot in the dark and text the seller asking if he could bend my tube. He said sure thing. Then, I took another shot and asked if by chance he could weld it as well, and he said yes. I was stoked. I decided to not use my tube (maybe keep it for a self-defense device) and go with one of his that he already had bent up. Set up a time and took my frame down to his house, which was about a 20 minute drive. Turns out he's a Honda 550 lover so he was already familiar with Honda frames and knew exactly what to do and where to cut to get the look I was going for. I asked to take some pictures and I was able to get in there and take some while he was distracted, but he was so fast, it was hard to keep up! I've seen a few rear hoops now on the DOHC CB750's and never liked that the gusset (or strut not sure what to call it) is always inevitably chopped, leaving a sort of "hey look right here at this spot that clearly has been cut here leaving an odd gap and just all together not factory look" kind of look. I wanted to retain the entire gusset (or strut or whatever) and make it look like Honda sent this frame from the factory with a hoop. I think we've accomplished that, I'm really happy with the results. Thanks to Paul for all of his help on this and I plan on asking him to do a battery tray next and maybe help me with some other things if he has the time. His website is www.cb-town.com if you want to see his 550's and order a hoop from him. Hopefully he gets more orders, he makes great hoops and won't price gouge you. Anyways, on to the pictures!

Here's the last picture I took of the frame outside in the sunlight after giving it a small cleaning:

temporary-8.jpg

Here's after he made his cuts, and the hoop waiting to be welded on:

temporary-9.jpg

Here's another shot after he made the cuts:

temporary-10.jpg

Things moved quickly after he made the cuts, but I was able to sneak in there and take a pic the plugs (slugs) that he used to reinforce the whole thing, using the method of drilling the holes and welding the plugs in. He really did a fantastic job on this. The cool thing about the plugs too was that the frame tube starts to get a little wonky and deformed right there and when he pounded those in, it made the tube look a lot more uniform.

temporary-11.jpg

After some welding and grinding, which I didn't get any pictures off, since I didn't want to get in his way, here's the final product.

temporary-12.jpg

temporary-13.jpg

Excited!!!!

temporary-14.jpg

Apologies for the terrible pictures. I suck with camera phones. I like the look we came up with and it feels like I'm going to have a really long tail section which might even let me make a longer seat where I can squeeze my lady on the back. She's really petite, so I don't need much room. We'll see. Going to try my luck with some foam and some carving tools and see if I can't come up with a concept seat that I can have someone glass for me. Oh ya and I'm going to try my hand at grinding the rest of the remnants of that cross member we cut out. Seems like a good spot to learn how to grind.

Back
Top Bottom