1977 KZ650B1 "Psycho Therapy"

rocketman

Been Around the Block
This is my latest acquisition. Its a 77 Kz650B1 that I picked up off CL for $750 in good condition. It runs but PO stated it needs a good carb cleaning. The plan for this bike is to get it running smooth and ride it daily and continue to build my slow progressing xs750. I will give this one clubmans,reverse cone muffler(ss3r too modern for me $$$anyone) and some other goodies for now then after the xs is done Its getting the CAFE MOJO!
CIMG2278.jpg
CIMG2277.jpg
. If any of you kz nuts wanna chime in with advice that would be great.

Re: 1977 KZ650B1

Dude, nice find. My 77' looks like crap compared to that! haha Inform us when the cafe starts on this one too...

rocketman said:
This is my latest acquisition. Its a 77 Kz650B1 that I picked up off CL for $750 in good condition. It runs but PO stated it needs a good carb cleaning. The plan for this bike is to get it running smooth and ride it daily and continue to build my slow progressing xs750. I will give this one clubmans,reverse cone muffler(ss3r too modern for me $$$anyone) and some other goodies for now then after the xs is done Its getting the CAFE MOJO!
CIMG2278.jpg
CIMG2277.jpg
. If any of you kz nuts wanna chime in with advice that would be great.

I like that pipe on it. Very nice.

I like the pipe too, just not on a 77kz650. I am thinking a reverse cone muffler bent up like that would look wicked! Went to the salvage today and picked up a better stator cover,fork boots to replace those silly mx style ones somebody zip tied on(new fork seals in the mail), and a spare petcock for parts. Last night I tore down the carbs for cleaning and revealed a bent jet needle. I ordered a new needle,some gaskets,bigger mains so hopefully with the jetting and cleaning this bike will be ready to rip!

Also which clubmans work well for this bike? I see some on ebay cheap but am unsure.

I got mine from motorcycle superstore since they were the cheapest. They fit, but they are not wide enough in between the bends to rotate the bars 360 degrees. If you don't know what I mean look at some pictures in my build thread to see how I have it oriented. The way mine is, I can't tilt them down more unless I go like 20 degrees more since the forks are in the way. My hands do hit the tank the way I have mine oriented.

Nice find rocketman.
As mentioned, make sure the bars are wide enough in the center to fit the 650.
I had to build up the frame stop using a spare raer axle nut (hole filed a bit then knocked onto the frame stop) so the bars didn't hit the tank and fairing in my case. My bars came with the fairing, so can't help in finding one.
The master cylinder hitting the tach can be a problem with some bars too.

Hey Rocket

I got a set of clubmans and mirrors and grips on ebay for like $45.00 I think? Outfit out of Utah or Idaho I think? One of those "buy it now" deals. I have only put about 25 miles on the bike (Had to pull off road to get carbs right) but they worked real good. I'll try and post a pic but for some reason I am having trouble with that on this forum?

I am not sure about the mirrors yet but I need to mess with them more I think to get fit and adjustment correct. They seem to want to losen up too easy and twist?

Yeah! Nice find Rocket!

My clubmans fit, BUT they will hit the tank before the steering stop which is kind of a PINTA - mostly when I'm just pushing it around in the garage. Mine are 11" across at the front of them where the "handles" are welded... if that makes any sense at all.

I ended up revamping all the line, cable and wire routing up front - BUT that was part of my plan anyway.

Good luck and post up any questions!

Little update! Lots of new improvements but most not noticeable to the naked eye. Oil change,new drain plug(pan was stripped),replaced the modern day Vance and hines with a NOS(new old skool) Jardine muffler I snatched off The Bay for like $35,new fork seals and PROPER DUST SHIELDS(dont know why I felt like typing caps there), Speedo cable,cam chain adjustment,drive chain adjustment,Carbs cleaned and jetted proper for the pods and exhaust(112.5 mains and 17.5 pilot with 4th clip on needle).One new needle jet as old was bent,painted header and installed new copper crush seals,o rings on all the air screws..... I'm sure theres more. Still to come new throttle cables,clubman bars,barend signals and mirror!
051111110249.jpg

050511123655.jpg

You have the same helmet as me. It's a little loud when opened but keeps you cool and fog free. Good luck with the new ride and get movin' on the xs. I'm ready for some reassembly on mine soon.

Old cockpit
051611180637.jpg

New cockpit
060111221108.jpg

Clubmans,mobyke gum grips,barend miror,drag specialties headlight bracket,new and lubed motion pro throttle cables,lubed clutch cable(If u have not done this,DO IT NOW It makes a HUGE difference). still gotta figure a way to get those gauges down!!! Ok 2 things BEWARE!!! 1.I bought BMW style(el cheapo) barend blinkers on ebay that were suppose to fit 7/8 bars they dont. 2. Theres a seller on ebay selling Gran Turismo style grips on the cheap and they are JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The rubber is not consistent(thin spots all over) and they they are extremely loose on 7/8 bars for which they were made.

rocketman said:
still gotta figure a way to get those gauges down!!!

Hey man... looking really nice. Maybe you're already aware of this, but if you take your gauges off and drill out the mounting studs and replace with a thru-bolt you can mount the cluster on the bottom of the existing mounting location. It drops them quite a bit... I did this before replacing the entire cluster with a mini- speedo.

I don't have a pic of it mounted, but here is one with the holes drilled:
IMG_3882.jpg

Ive heard the steering lock gets in the way, Is this true? I would rather make a plate that mounts underneath and puts them a bit farther out to avoid having to cut off steering lock.

Ok just a little update. I tipped the bike over in the garage and bent the bars,dented the tank and f%^&$ed up the rear turn. I tore apart the tree and painted it and pulled those silly Kawy gauges off and ordered one of these Acewell knock off. review and pics to come. Oh yeah I also downloaded about 100 Rocka and psychobilly tunes for wrenching.
danmoto.jpg

Heres a few pics to compare to original and another to show what comes in box.
081311135343.jpg

081311135232.jpg

Quality of the gauge appears ok however its mostly plastic. The installation paper is less that desirable. It comes with a wiring diagram but not much more that that. The brackets for the gauge and speed sensor will have to be fabbed as it comes with nothing, not even nuts for the gauge studs. It came with a 4 pin and 6 pin connector as well as a brwn with bullet for backlight( I am assuming so you could easily add a switch?). What I did was take the male 9 pin off the original gauge harness and arranged the wires from the gauge so that it plugs right in to the bike.(same pins as bike). I did this by taking a bicycle spoke and grinding the end down til it was flat and small enough to release the pins from the connector,worked like a charm but go easy these bikes are 30+ years old. I think I'm gonna pic up an extra harness or 2 off the bay just to have extra connectors and usable wire. I have a small amount of work to do and pics of it powered up wil be up!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: 1977 KZ650B1 ****NEW DANMOTO ACEWELL KNOCKOFF****

dont ditch all of us like with every other person whos gotten one of the knockoffs and then forgotten to make a review ;)

Back
Top Bottom