Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler

xb33bsa said:
it does look awesome however the cb is a tiny bike and a trackrer needs some room on the seat to slide back on whilst trying to gain traction exiting a turn.srslry its too short needs 3"
back and the front is in seroius need of lifting
so ya nice work but the proportions are off ,its such a tiny bike,so unlress you are a tiny spinner girl or a 12 yearl, it restricts the rider with a the edge of the seat back hump that far forward
blending it with the seat base would work so you can get a proper rocker in the seat profile
notice this bike here and also it aint drooped down in the front like its getting ready to jump up and lick you square on the yapper

Thanks for the input. I am actually addressing some of the things you've mentioned. I thought I posted about some of my plans, but I may not have yet.

The cb350 is a small bike, which if you're 5'5" like me is fun. If your 5'10"+ not so much. The seat will actually be sloped up to the rear cowl, not flat cafe style. The cowl seems tall in the pics, but once you add a couple inches of seat foam it's only about a 1.5" rise. The cowl is also strong enough that you could slide right onto it if you needed, but when you sit on the bike that is actually pretty far back. Remember the top shock mounts aren't exactly in the same spot as stock. Also the tank is 2-3" shorter than stock, so the seat itself will be about 15". If you overhang the edge of the seat a little you've got another 2-3".

As far as the height, the rear is already lifted. The shocks currently on it I had laying around from a cb750. The new shocks are 2" taller (I believe, I ordered them months ago). But, the subframe slopes up a bit more than stock so the rear is not getting the full 2" of lift.
The front end is going from the stock 18" rim to a 19x2.15. The larger diameter and wider rim will allow me to run a taller tire, thus bringing up the front end a bit.

Is this a hardcore flat track bike? No. It's function as a tracker is mellowed a bit for the street, and for aesthetics. It's meant to be a fun little ripper, and I think it will be.

I do plan to build myself a real vintage flat tracker, but I think I'll start with something more suitable. Perhaps a sr500.

ncologerojr said:
Thanks for the input. I am actually addressing some of the things you've mentioned. I thought I posted about some of my plans, but I may not have yet.

The cb350 is a small bike, which if you're 5'5" like me is fun. If your 5'10"+ not so much. The seat will actually be sloped up to the rear cowl, not flat cafe style. The cowl seems tall in the pics, but once you add a couple inches of seat foam it's only about a 1.5" rise. The cowl is also strong enough that you could slide right onto it if you needed, but when you sit on the bike that is actually pretty far back. Remember the top shock mounts aren't exactly in the same spot as stock. Also the tank is 2-3" shorter than stock, so the seat itself will be about 15". If you overhang the edge of the seat a little you've got another 2-3".

As far as the height, the rear is already lifted. The shocks currently on it I had laying around from a cb750. The new shocks are 2" taller (I believe, I ordered them months ago). But, the subframe slopes up a bit more than stock so the rear is not getting the full 2" of lift.
The front end is going from the stock 18" rim to a 19x2.15. The larger diameter and wider rim will allow me to run a taller tire, thus bringing up the front end a bit.

Is this a hardcore flat track bike? No. It's function as a tracker is mellowed a bit for the street, and for aesthetics. It's meant to be a fun little ripper, and I think it will be.

I do plan to build myself a real vintage flat tracker, but I think I'll start with something more suitable. Perhaps a sr500.

hurry up and finish so you can move on to an sr! your skills are awesome ;D

I've been busy working on rubber mounts for the tank and tailI and figuring parts to get ordered. All very important, but boring so I thought I would post up some of the progress pics I have in my phone.
This shows the roughing in of the tail halves, and the weld after planishing. No grinding.

Here is the tank tunnel coming together.

And just a couple random pictures.

B541Niner said:
Cool transformation from a dinged up piece of metal to the end result.

Thanks. When metal shaping it always looks like your destroying the panel in the beginning. The dings are where I'm putting stretch into the panel. If you look close you can see slight ripples also, that's where I hammered down tucks to shrink the metal. Stretch and shrink the right spots and you can make any shape.

Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler

I got the tail mounted up, along with a small plate that shields the battery box from tire spray.
Also a pic showing a weld along the inside of the rear fender. When tig welding thin aluminum, always try to weld both sides of stressed joints whenever possible to avoid cracking.

The fuel cap is done and the tunnel in. Tomorrow morning I'll weld in the petcock bungs and it will be ready for pressure testing.

Front mounts are made and welded in. Pressure tested at 8-10psi without a single leak top or bottom, which even shocked myself.

Tank is done!

With the tank pressure tested I went on to finish up all the mounting brackets. This bike is being built to take the back roads, and I am mounting everything with that in mind. The tank is supported in front by the stock rubber pucks, rubber mounts near the petcock on each side and a padded cross member along the rear of the tunnel. You can also see in the pictures that I cut and welded the backbone seam. I have read that racers back in the day would weld the seams to increase strength and rigidity, I just needed the clearance.

Some more updates.

The panel that sits directly above the battery tray is also going to secure the upholstered seat, so it needed to release easily. I decided to use a simple pressure mount. I turned down a m10 bolt on the lathe to make the adjustable front pin. I then bent the rear of the panel to make it apply pressure to a cross support at the rear of the electronics tray. It actually latches very securely.

I laced up the new wheels and mounted the dual sport tires. The front rim is now 19x2.15, the rear is the stock 18" and cleaned up like new.

I also started on the front fender. It still needs some work.

Back
Top Bottom