The Nortons

Re: 1973 - The Commando

canyoncarver said:
Here's an issue maybe one or two of you can help with ideas for. The top of the carb circled, is just under an inch of clearance to the frame. I need to find either a different fitting or something otherwise it's too tight of a bend for a cable.

Ideas?

Replace the cable abutment ferrule with a shorter one.

Just ran into this thread, following.

I have tons of Commando stuff left over; hit me up for anything you need, maybe I have it...

grandpaul said:
Replace the cable abutment ferrule with a shorter one.

Just ran into this thread, following.

I have tons of Commando stuff left over; hit me up for anything you need, maybe I have it...

Cool!. I do have a few things I'm looking for the best source on such as the rubber bits for the oil tank mounts.

Do you have a decent rear fender?

Glad you are following along.

canyoncarver said:
Do you have a decent rear fender?
"Decent" is a relative term!

I'll get some pix, it's nice enough.

Shaping up really nicely man, love the look of that front fender, suits the bike a charm.

I've got pix of the fender, need an email address to send them to.

Been slow going. My day job has been keeping me busy even after hours lately. I decided on a black fastback rear fender. I also picked up a halogen replacement for the oem Lucas headlight that was just awful.

I'm working on my wiring harness this weekend. I mapped out the connections for the bar controls and I believe I have everything I need now.

In the background, you might notice I'm also polishing up the pipe for my YZF. :)
commando_halogen.jpg
commando_rearfender.jpg

Last edited:

This is awesome guy, don't know how I been missing out.

Gotcha bookmarked now. Better late than never.

trek97 said:
This is awesome guy, don't know how I been missing out.
Gotcha bookmarked now. Better late than never.

Glad you made it bud and great to see you at Garage Brewed too. Love your 400.

The fender looks perfect for it. If I were ever lucky enough to build another Brit bike, it would have one of the front fender dorsals that they used to put license on.

pidjones said:
The fender looks perfect for it. If I were ever lucky enough to build another Brit bike, it would have one of the front fender dorsals that they used to put license on.

You mean a "pedestrian slicer" ? :)

Some of the interesting books I'm finding in the box.
nortonbooks1.jpg

Last edited:

canyoncarver said:
You mean a "pedestrian slicer" ? :)

They were compulsory here in the early days, and it took many years of complaints to get the regulation changed.

The vibration of the number plate and brackets combined with holes drilled to mount same were very efficient at cracking the front guard.

Crazy

Slowly inching along among my other projects.
norton_xbox2.jpg
norton_xbox1.jpg

Last edited:

The Commando is still on my lift but progress has been stalled as I shifted my time to the YZF track bike(s) and prepping the ZRX and my wife's FZ6R for an upcoming road trip. I'm considering a few options on the Commando after talking with Dad. I'm really wanting the P11 to ride instead. Might even consider selling the Commando to fund the 65' Atlas featherbed project. Shiny.

canyoncarver said:
The Commando is still on my lift but progress has been stalled as I shifted my time to the YZF track bike(s) and prepping the ZRX and my wife's FZ6R for an upcoming road trip. I'm considering a few options on the Commando after talking with Dad. I'm really wanting the P11 to ride instead. Might even consider selling the Commando to fund the 65' Atlas featherbed project. Shiny.

I don’t know much about Brit bikes, but isn’t that Gold Star the real valuable gem of the bunch? Maybe I’m just still sun drunk from staring at thumpers so long...

Kanticoy said:
I don’t know much about Brit bikes, but isn’t that Gold Star the real valuable gem of the bunch? Maybe I’m just still sun drunk from staring at thumpers so long...

Yeah, it's actually a 1960 BSA 500cc Gold Star Catalina Scrambler. It's a beauty. It is worth more than the Commando certainly. Dad and I haven't made up our minds on that one yet. For an old scrambler, I dig the P11, probably because I've ridden it.

Back
Top Bottom