GL 1000 sport wing No Time, No Dime

Ouch Troy, I think the boot will squeeze into the spot without fully pulling the motor, or maybe pull the swinger instead. I did my motor alone in a 8x10 shed so I feel your pain. As for the screen, I'll look at it tonight, it is a used ebay special and has quick release knobs. It is on and off in seconds and it isn't really large. It isn't the exact screen I had at your place, a little different but close. I may have a pic in my build thread with it installed. The fairings above posted by Hoosier and Kiley are a nicer look if you want permanent. I like the screen off for back roads and warm days as the wind helps take pressure off my wrists by holding me up. I use the screen for distance and cold.

Looking good Troy! Was wondering what you'd been up to lately. I'll stop by and take a look next time I'm in town.

Kiley I really like the CBX fairing. Never considered them but did a little search and found that they can be had. I'll keep it in mind for later on because for now I have sourced one from Junior.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Here is one of a fellow members over on NGWClub.com "ThunderChild". He's got a HotWings seat like yours and a Emgo Viper fairing like the one I picked up for "Rock-It", It's available at Dime City for a fair price...

botm201003thunderchild7.jpg

Hoosier I really like that bike a lot. Its been one of my favorites for a while now. I have only one complaint but its a big one for me. I hate to see the frame left hanging out the back like that. Way too much beef to mount turn signals on and no real reason for it to be there. The bike is beautiful with obviously a lot of attention to detail but I have a hard time getting past that.

As for the fairing that's about what I've got coming. I just need to source a 7" headlight.

Maritime said:
Ouch Troy, I think the boot will squeeze into the spot without fully pulling the motor, or maybe pull the swinger instead. I did my motor alone in a 8x10 shed so I feel your pain. As for the screen, I'll look at it tonight, it is a used ebay special and has quick release knobs. It is on and off in seconds and it isn't really large. It isn't the exact screen I had at your place, a little different but close. I may have a pic in my build thread with it installed. The fairings above posted by Hoosier and Kiley are a nicer look if you want permanent. I like the screen off for back roads and warm days as the wind helps take pressure off my wrists by holding me up. I use the screen for distance and cold.

Man if you did a motor swap solo in a little shed I have much respect. And yeah I'd be interested to see some pics of what you've got going on fairing wise

wvboy said:
Looking good Troy! Was wondering what you'd been up to lately. I'll stop by and take a look next time I'm in town.

How the heck are ya? Been too long. Yeah this is one of the gazillion projects I've got going on, lol. I'm sure you're the same. Anyho is that the tank off the KZ and did you paint it? I love it
Think it's about time for a runt dinner :D

bradj said:
Good god thats a big motorcycle hahaha just kidding....kinda

No you're right... they are huge. But that weight is nice for open road riding, and they can fool you in the twisties too. Just have to know what to do with it :D

This has made it's rounds but still gets me heart going
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

So the 77 motor is officially bolted down. What a PITA. I'll always remember to check to make sure the boot is on the driveshaft. The c clip is on and that part is buttoned up. Cleaned as many cables as I could without a cable lube thingy (just ordered one and it will be here tomorrow) Did lube the clutch cable and the tachometer cable. Used some stuff from Sea Foam and absolutely love it. Even though the clutch cable was new last year it's never worked this well ( I used a different kind of lube lst time. Sorry I can't remember what) Anyhow, after that spent a good amount of time routing the clutch cable. It worked fantastic until turned the handlebars. I think I know where the problem is.

Installed the new starter and started wiping down and cleaning some of the wiring harness and some of the other stuff including the dirty very dirty 77 motor

20130402_192752-1_zpsff41e105.jpg

Clean as a whistle
20130402_192839_zps4f1aa3f4.jpg

Motor officially bolted down
20130402_192741_zps093e3cf8.jpg

Points cover gasket was toast so made a new one ( had cork from another project):
20130402_210259_zps8f98f58c.jpg

20130402_211016_zps0d0f1a99.jpg

Today I also ordered new radiator hoses, Thermostat, signal flasher relay, and header squash gaskets all from Napa. I'm hoping to install the thermostat and radiator tomorrow and also button up more of the wiring.

Did some research and got some part numbers for the 1000. Figured I'd post them here for future refrence for myself and maybe itll help someone else

Thermostat:
Napa THM 101
Stant 13868
Murray 3868

Air Filter
K&N
HA-0800

Signal Flasher
Napa 552 relay, 2 pole

Header copper squash gasket
Napa; Fel-pro 60567 or 12-1002

Oil filter
Napa Gold 4940
Fram CH 6009
Purolator
ML 16809

Radiator Hose
Napa 7733
Gates 21008
(need only one and cut in half)

Plugs
NGK D8EA
.028"

NGK Iridium DK8EIX
.028"

Timing Belts

Gates 5043 or T 070
Napa 250070
Goodyear 40070

Hey Ringo long time....Glad you joined the party!

Yep, moving along well Junior. Hope to get the radiator stuff tomorrow and maybe even the gas tank flushed and back in. A little ambitious to think about the carbs but hope to have them atleast opened up by tomorrow night. Nothing special for the carbs other then a little cleaning and setting the floats.

Kanticoy said:
Man that bike is so clean. I can't wait to see this thing ripping up the street!
The bike really shows that it was only ridden for three years, immaculately maintained, then every inch was waxed then parked inside for 32 years. Cleanest bike I've had in a long ling time. And to think I was trying to sell this at the auction before I left because I was feeling guilty about spending $400.
And yeah i can't wait too. I'm getting excited about this one.

Back
Top Bottom