Yamaha Maxim

TripleKing

Been Around the Block
I am starting to see a lot of early 80s Yamaha Maxims come of for sale locally at very cheap prices. I was wondering what potential they might have as a special/brat bike. I have always liked the Maxim's engine. Has anyone here done one?

Several here. Do a search on "maxim", "xj550", "xj650", "xj750" or even "seca" (the frames for both the Seca and Maxim are almost identical and the bodywork from either will interchange, given the same engine displacement). And for anything you ever wanted to know about the XJ series (including purchasing any replacement part), go here http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html

Thanks for the great advice. I looked at some projects on DTT. I see that the Seca tank goes right on. I have a few people coming to look at my 71 T250 (for sale) and I am looking for another project.

For whatever it's worth - I've heard good things about their longevity - especially the shaft drive. I think they're kind of heavy and lose a lot of power to the mechanical workings, but are supposed to last forever.

I've had a few 900's and a 750 over the years. The 750 Seca is a remarkably revvy and quick bike and it handles pretty nice too.

The Hitachi carbs can be painful to tune (especially without the air box). I think chacal on XJbikes still sells carb kits for them, otherwise it's hard to find carb parts for the Hitachi's.

Overall, the XJ's are solid, reliable bikes. A bit plain Jane and overlooked in their time, but survivors nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom