Some kinda Monster

rentedshoes

Been Around the Block
Hey everybody. I figured I’d start a new build thread. My CB175 truly is a Big-Arse project and taking much longer to complete than I could have ever imagined. Aaaaand the Triumph I bought to ride while I finished the 175 is a bit of a handful in town. So, I talked the wife into letting me pickup bike number three.

A 2007 Ducati Monster 695 popped up on Craig’s List. This would fit the bill nicely. It was relatively cheap, loud and stylish. It has some miles on it. It’s clean, but not so perfect you would feel bad modifying it. The idea was to have something cool to ride around but not have so much work and money into it that I worried about parking it places. I wanna keep it looking like something that Ducati might have built. OEM plus suits the whole concept of the Monster quite nicely.

I didn’t even make it home before the first mods hatched in my brain. I figured that ditching the superbike bars for some clubmans I had in a bin was a good idea.

Turns out that clubmans look really good on a Monster 695 but stretch out the ride position a bit much. I ordered a set of clip-ons and a fender eliminator before the end of day one.

Over the course of the next few days I hatched a plan to go more of a tracker/scrambler direction. Afterall, the Monster will never be a sport bike, and I already have two bikes wiht clip-ons. So why not?

I ordered up a set of these:

While I wait for tires, Superbike bars went back on while I contemplate going with a more tracker style bar like this:

I installed the Competition Werkes tail tidy kit.I finished up by replacing the stock turn-signals with the ones I took off the Daytona.

Then took it for a short ride before parking it in the garage with the others.

So as of now, waiting on tires. Not sure what will come after that. Suguestions?

Love Ducati Monster Scramblers. I want to do one myself one of these days! But I'll live vicariously through you for now. I suggest an exhaust re-route, high and tight, maybe with some smaller cans. Also maybe a skid plate. And a different minimalist front fender.

if you redo the exhaust, I think the diesel monsters have a cool heat sheild that could look oemish if copied, but I love the look of the diesel version so I am biased.

ducati-monster-diesel-06.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas guys!
I've been scouring the internet for exhaust options. There are so many monsters with high-ish pipes, I was hoping to find a newish stock take off that I could transplant over. I was watching a stock exhaust from an S2R that I think could work with little modification. I think the mid-pipes are the key here.

But I'm just not sure. The Monster forums aren't much help. I'll have to see what pops up.

For now, a progress shot. Rear tire mounted.

More to come.

Looks like a fun project, I'll be watching.

Just to give you a heads up, it's really hard to have just one Ducati in the house ;)

Following along. I have the same bike.

A little inspiration for you?

Attachments

• 218401823-l.jpg
    218401823-l.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,450
Sonreir said:

I had seen that bike. Should have figured that it belonged to a forum member. Your bike makes the handlebar choice even tougher.

I have been looking at some various Multistrada accessories. I figure they might bolt up with out too much trouble.

Sonreir said:

FFS that's about the 4th time I've come across that picture in the last couple of days. If you post a certain picture of an RC30 next I'm going to get a little paranoid...

Must find 620 Monster...

I've been researching exhausts a little. I haven't found any solutions that I am excited about.
I'm toying with the idea of these slip-ons.

I'm not 100% sure they fit this project. Also, I am worried about them being on the noisy end of things.
What does anybody think?

Are those the DanMoto ones? They're a ton lighter than stock, but pretty noisy. All the roar of the Termis, but they don't get quite the same bass. I stretched mine out and that definitely helped.

Here's mine as it sits.

Attachments

• 10525732_10152933852345159_2775395089979685058_n.jpg
    10525732_10152933852345159_2775395089979685058_n.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 360
Sonreir said:
Are those the DanMoto ones? They're a ton lighter than stock, but pretty noisy. All the roar of the Termis, but they don't get quite the same bass. I stretched mine out and that definitely helped.

Here's mine as it sits.

Yea, those are the Dan Moto. I have read very mixed reviews. Did you have to do any ECU tuning after instal?

Considering the price I paid for the bike, I can't justify spending $700+ on pipes for it. The tires were supposed to be the expensive mod on this one.

No ECU, no. I got an O2 manipulator from http://www.fatduc.com/

It's a variable resistor that sits between the O2 sensor and the ECU in order to fool it into thinking you're running a bit lean. It then injects more fuel to compensate. Works great.

Sonreir said:

It's a variable resistor that sits between the O2 sensor and the ECU in order to fool it into thinking you're running a bit lean. It then injects more fuel to compensate. Works great.

Awe, $80 for an 02 manipulator. :-[
Who would have guessed that building an off-roadish Ducati wouldn't be a cheap project.

Thanks for the link, if I do exhaust, I'll probably pick up one of those.

Nice looking Monster Sonreir.

Sonreir said:

Does not simply removing the O2 sensor put the ECU in limp mode, which enriches the mixture across the board? This would obviate the need for the manipulator. At least to the extent that such a manipulator can compensate.

Unfortunately, the amount the ECU will, or can, compensate using the O2 sensor is very limited. If you fit very free flowing exhaust you should dyno the bike and have the ECU flashed to avoid possibly dangerous lean conditions.

R

Yeah, but we're not talking about removing the O2 sensor, just tweaking the values coming from it. Limp mode may or may not add more fuel, it depends on what's in the default map.

Additionally, the amount of change you perform on the exhaust system (without removing the cat) isn't going to be enough to cause a "dangerous" lean condition. The purpose of tweaking the O2 sensor is to richen things up enough to provide better power and throttle response.

Sonreir said:
Additionally, the amount of change you perform on the exhaust system (without removing the cat) isn't going to be enough to cause a "dangerous" lean condition. The purpose of tweaking the O2 sensor is to richen things up enough to provide better power and throttle response.

I disagree. I have seen dyno A/F's with just the removal of the cat, maintaining the stock cans, have a bike run around 15:1 Aside from if the lean condition could threaten your plugs and valves or not, or reduce their lifespan, throttle response and other things can and generally do suffer greatly. Most ECU's look at the O2 sensor in a very narrow RPM range (even 4 wire's) exclusively as a means of passing emissions. You will note that the data provided by fatduc only shows A/F at 3 and 3.5K.

Back
Top Bottom