KZ750E 1980

davidc

Been Around the Block
Has anyone replaced the front brake master cylinder with a modern unit.
I've tried a Honda Hornet and a Yamaha MT09- none will work with the old Kawasaki calipers.
I've replaced the piston seals and dust seals on the calipers and in the meantime, I've fitted a master cylinder over haul kit to the old Kawa unit- the lever isn't great as there is corrosion in the master cylinder bore.

Is it possible that the modern calipers are more efficient and don't need as much fluid per stroke from the master cylinder?

Regards

David C

MC's come in different sizes - it will be stamped on your original MC what the size is. You need to match this with the new one.

I'm guessing the one's you've tried are too small.

Possible? Yes, pistons are much smaller, but usually there's more of them. You still need to pump much smaller volumes of fluid with modern brakes, look for a m/c for some six pot brakes.

Size is usually marked underneath the m/c. Possibly the stock item can be honed/reamed back to function.

stock MC bore for this model is 5/8" (16mm). There are cheap Chinese aftermarket ones on ebay for $30-40 that work OK but not great, they have a tendency to leak. A new Brembo MC is about $120. high quality and works great.

stock MC bore for this model is 5/8" (16mm). There are cheap Chinese aftermarket ones on ebay for $30-40 that work OK but not great, they have a tendency to leak. A new Brembo MC is about $120. high quality and works great.

Thanks, for info.

The Yamaha MT09 unit is a brembo, I didn't remove the piston to measure the bore- I would think that an MT09 would have multi-piston calipers.

The corrosion hole is beyond reaming- I would need a replacement MC, I think

I have it back to working 90% and may now live with it

Back
Top Bottom