1983 Suzuki GSX650 or GS650M anyone have one???

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
Hello folks, there is a 1983 GSX650 for sale local for 600 bucks, complete, titled, not running. Anyone know if there is anything bad about them or if there is a lot of parts made from unobtanium on them? I want to grab it and fix/ride/flip or Keep if I can. Thanks for any info in advance! I looked for what a running bike goes for and 2 came up in Ontario with asking prices of 3500. If they can go for that I have lots of room to make money if I flip it.

1732-270417142658.jpeg

With a 3 year production run, the parts are probably as hard to find as for the stupid gsx 750 i bought from the same year.

I wouldn't poke it with a borrowed ten foot pole unless it runs mint, or you know it doesn't need engine work.

That's the shaft drive G version - of which they sold a bunch over here (Oz) but not so many in the US (they have more E models - chain drive). They called them Katanas over here....but people laughed at that because "real" Katanas were chain drive 1100's....

Pretty solid bikes - they have the usual GS problems with the charging system but otherwise are pretty strong. I'd buy one if I saw one over here at a decent price (which you dont any more).

By the way - they're an 8 valve motor, not 16v so they have more in common with the late 70's GS550 / 750 than the later ES versions.

I restored a GS550m a while back. Even managed to get hold of a new genuine black chrome exhaust.
Nice little bikes.

Attachments

• SUZUKI GS550 1882.jpg
    SUZUKI GS550 1882.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 612
Back
Top Bottom