Found a 1981 DOHC CB750C or K, absolutely beautiful 11k original... to buy or n

Papinbrew

Ok fellas, heres my dilemma. Ive been saving my hard earned hourly dough for investment into my 1980 CB750F ground up brat build. Just a matter of time for some things to be done. While bored AF at work I came across an old ad in my local classifieds for an 81 CB750, with wire wheels, chrome fenders, excellent shape all around, but missing carbs and airbox. Funny thing, I completely rebuilt and tuned my CB750F carbs, and acquired an airbox with good boots all around. This CB750c or K is within my price range (under $1000), has less than 12k clocked, and looks fantastic, no rust. BUT has no documentation of any maintenance, and current owner never saw it run. Bike is about 5 hours from me, but owner consistently commutes to where I live so hes arranged free delivery. Heres my thoughts. I have 3 bikes. All are projects, some more road worthy than others, If I bought this bike id simply throw my rebuilt carbs on, airbox, and full tune, then sell it come springtime so I can get some smoothbore carbs and pods for my CB750F project and maybe pay off the powdercoat costs. Hell, maybe Ill keep it. Someone convince me either way??? Whats a good condition 81 CB750 even go for nowadays?

Papinbrew said:
...excellent shape all around, but missing carbs and airbox.....

You gotta wonder why an excellent, low mileage bike would be missing these.

And how long has it been sitting without them? And where?

Sounds too good to be true. One wouldn't typically just sell the carbs off a nice, unmolested bike for no reason. I suppose if you can bring a battery and a compression gauge to get some readings, it may be worth a look. But I think $1k for even a nice bike thats missing something as important as carbs is a bit steep, even though you have a good set.

the carbs often get separated from a bike by the owner taking them somewhere to be rebuilt

then not having the money to pick them up

i wind up with 3-4 sets a year like that never show up

The owner says he is very open to offers. Honestly I was thinking something like 600. Although, doing a mobile compression test sounds like the best option, but the bike is 4-5 hours from where I live. One way. The reason I was all giggity about it was that the owner consistently makes the trip to and from the area where I live and is offering delivery.

Im still waiting for better pictures from the guy.

As far as an engine build goes, I JUST finished building my CB750F engine, so if the worst happens and it needs a valve job or rings at least its fresh in my mind and wouldnt take long.

Sounds like a standard "garage find" to me.

Do not put much value on the mileage, it dosent really effect value. YEARS do damage too.

Bike is not really overly desirable. People are paying okay money for clean stock and original F bikes. Any other DOHC is just kinda "meh"

If you have a grand burning a hole in your pocket spend that money wrapping up a project, not buying another.

IF you were looking for a project to mess around with, cut up, learn to wrench on or just ride to work then the price seems about "retail"

Personally I wouldnt chase that to hard, and I have "stock" to get things up and running.
Just no money to be made. (Assuming you were thinking about flipping the bike)

Back
Top Bottom