Hardtail ground clearance

iagsxr

frmly IAGSXR
If this is covered in VonYinzer's sticky I apologize, my 'puter got the herpes the other day now I can't open pdf files. Although I perused the information a few times pre-herpes and don't remember it being covered. Thanks to VonYinzer for a bitchin' sticky. So:

Guys that have built a hardtail, what would you consider a minimum practical ride height/ground clearance?

I'm thinking 4".

TIA

The frame rails running paralell to the ground.. 3-4 inches is pretty standard, yes

Just remember what is gonna be hanging past the frame: kickstand, brake lever, your feet in a turn, etc.

I think a lot of the rigid bikes people see on line are lower than you really want to go for anything you plan on putting some miles on. Personally I prefer the Frisco recipe. Skinny, tons of ground clearance... The look was actually purposeful. The S.F. chapter of the Hells Angels would build there bikes this way because it made them great get-a-way bikes. Super skinny to be able to maneuver and split lanes @ high speeds, and tall for lots of ground clearance. So speed bumps, riding off curbs and the sort were not an issue. Also why they relocated the fill neck and the petcock, to be able to utilize every drop of gas in an "emergency" situation.

thanks for the responses.

The exhaust is the lowest point, stock suspension, unladen a little over 6" off the ground. It already has some scars.

Ya man. Show bikes are super low because they dont get ridden on the street. Mines sitting at about 4.5" and its almost too low.

Back
Top Bottom