Has anyone thought about putting a centrifugal clutch on their 360?

JonnyLong

THIS, is what god looks like.
Just beacuse a centrifugal clutch would be an easy way to have both a suicide shifter and the foot shift...
Have it on my kikker and I want it on the Honda...

FAST....

I'm not familiar with centrifugal clutches on bikes, but I am very familiar with the ones used on chainsaws. Wouldn't that eliminate engine braking if the revs got too low? And what if you need to pull the clutch suddenly? I am intrigued though.

you would have the front and rear break... The clutch is activated when you let off of the gas...

I've ridden dirt bikes with Rekluse's installed. If I ever get back to having time to ride dirt seriously I'll have one in my KTM.

Their pro model or whatever they call it you can override auto operation with the lever. The lever's got a funny feel to it, but you can do a clutch dump if neccessary.

It sounds pretty cool. I know on a saw, it has to wind down a little before the clutch will disengage. Hope that's not the case on this. I say do it!

i did some research on it after seeing this post, and from my understanding it does have to wind down, as on a chain saw, but you can use the lever to manually disengage it just like a regular clutch with a lighter feel. so if you come to a calm, slow stop the clutch will disengage automatically and you can stay in gear while stationary. if you need to rev the motor up before dumping the clutch, you just pull the lever in and rev the motor past the rpm that the clutch engages at and then let it go as you normally would. and if you need to disengage the clutch while running, you just pull the lever.

if im wrong, please correct me. this is just some of the basics i gleaned from a google search.

Well if that's the case, it sounds bad ass. I prefer a fully manual clutch myself, but it'd still be fun to rock one of those. I dig it.

AHHHH!!!!!
I just wrote a short paper on this for my engineering course!
Centrifugal clutch is something you'd on say an automatic i.e. Pull and go type of motorcycle. For example a Gilera Runner. A manual clutch is the one we all know and love, pull the clutch lever before changing gears. Personally I don't like the centrifugal ones, doesn't feel like I've got as much control over everything. I suppose with a lot of tinkering it is possible but I wouldn't do it personally.
Could be a cool project though!

DC74inc said:
whats the diff between centrif, and stock.. how does it opp. diff?

"A flat plate clutch is the type of clutch you would typically find in a manual motorcycle. The clutch lever sits in front of your left hand on the handlebars, when the lever is pulled the clutch plates are disengaged. Advantages of this system are that the person operating the vehicle has complete control over the engine in terms of having it engaged or disengaged. Using the motorcycle as an example, you could have the clutch half way out or slowly engage it as you pleased. Disadvantages include the fact that to stop the vehicle you must disengage the clutch quickly and at the right time, which in intense situations can be tricky."

"A centrifugal clutch is a clutch system that would be found in a moped or scooter. This clutch system will automatically engage due to centrifugal force when the RPM of the engine rise. When the RPM of the engine fall, the clutch will automatically disengage. This system would be used in any vehicle using a “Pull and go” system such as automatic mopeds. Advantages to this system are it is easy to use, there is no worry about having to disengage the clutch when stopping and as soon as you start pulling on the throttle again the vehicle will engage itself back into gear. Disadvantages are that the user may feel that they don’t have as much control over the engine. You cannot disengage the clutch above idling speeds for testing purposes."
Short bits out of that paper, if anyone wants to correct it please do! I haven't handed it in for final deadline yet..... hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom