Has anyone heard of this project...

Very cool. The price isn't terrible considering capability. Battery life is kind of weak. I would sacrifice a little weight for double the battery life

Hopefully like most new to the market products once it's released the price will drop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think it's cool but they're going to get bought by someone and then the price will drop. Not sure what testing has been done and I assume a lot and it's passed safety standards but to me it looks like that head's up display could go straight through your eye socket in a crash and having a battery that close to my head would make me nervous too. I don't like the thought of being on the phone on a bike either but the navi and rear camera are cool.

EDIT: Hey it just occurred to me too that the big white SCULLY letters might just as well say - FUCKING EXPENSIVE HELMET - kinda like an advertisement to get robbed - would be nice if they toned those down a little and made it less obvious.

The rearview camera would totally revolutionize the way I ride and the E-Tint shield is awesome. I can't wait for the price to drop on that thing.

i think you would spend more time looking at the display than at the job in front
and legally you still must have mirrors on the bike
and there is NEVER going to be a safe subsitute for turning your head and looking checking blind spot,before lane changes etc
maybe with all the money they are gonna pay off some politicians to change some laws

Are you saying you would not trust a 180 degree camera... Which you could even cock your head slightly to check the lane right next to you? I would rather glance at the bottom right of my vision (even easier motion than looking at a mirror) and get a whole lot more data than turn my head around and avert my focus from the road ahead.

I wouldn't even use the cell phone feature at all, but I want one

From there Facebook...
" Did you know? SKULLY helmets are not only DOT, but also ECE certified. ECE is the certification standard for MotoGP.

Helmets certified to the ECE 22.05 standard are approved for competition events by AMA, CCS, FIM, Formula-USA, and WERA, and are chosen by nearly every professional motorcycle racer competing in world championship road racing, motocross, and off road events, including the ultimate sport of Moto GP. Helmets that are certified to both DOT and ECE 22.05 offer the highest level of realistic protection with the added benefit of light weight for day-long comfort and rider performance."

Must say I don't really buy this part about the insane pricing

"
A note from SKULLY Founder and CEO, Marcus Weller:

Hi Guys.

I just wanted to let you know that we hear you on the pricing. It's expensive. Here's why.

The AR-1 transforms the helmet's value to a rider from a protective plastic shell into an extension of the rider's senses and abilities. There are several constituent inventions that make up SKULLY, but its true innovation stems from a collision of psychology and technology. The critical element of creating such a platform is understanding and being able to capitalize on the nuances of human perception and cognition.

Our User Interface R&D has focused deeply on matters of reducing net cognitive load during driving. Also critical were the psychophysics of saccade, accommodation and human attention to develop the optics which are instantly perceptible, regardless of where the rider happens to be looking, without the need to refocus the eye. Every element is designed around the interaction of the human with their environment, without exception and without compromise.

There are so many nuances to delivering this experience that are not readily visible on the surface. We care deeply about these things because they are the fundamental difference between a gadget, and what we believe to be a transformative product both for the user and for the industry for which it was built.

But on a more personal note, the outpouring of support from the SKULLY Nation has truly moved me. To see an idea that came from a dream become a reality is incredible. But to have that idea so passionately adopted by the world leaves me at a loss for words, except to say: Thank You.

Welcome to the ride.

Marcus Weller
Founder and CEO, SKULLY"

Here is your other option, these are I think a little less than 1/2 the price of the skully

http://www.ridenuviz.com/#intro

Instead of buying a helmet you can buy this 'attachment' which can be taken off and moved to another helmet if you dont like the one you currently have. This doesn't have the rearview, but Nuviz had this to say about rearview which I understand. Would like to get some time in with one and see how it actually turns out.

"When we set out to determine what functionality to include, a rearview camera was certainly one of the features we initially thought would be nice – but in the end we decided against it for a few reasons:

The information presented to the user on a near-to -eye display or head-up display need to be minimalistic and intuitive in other words symbology. Streaming video of what's behind was often reported in tests to be distracting and still did not replace checking your mirrors or looking over your shoulder.
A camera on the back of your helmet will move with your head at all times. If you look to your right, you will see what’s behind you on your left side, etc. This is difficult for your brain to correlate where the camera is looking with what you’re seeing.

That said, we believe that Ride:HUD will serve as the central hub for many of the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi enabled devices along with your smartphone. A wireless camera attachment to the back of the bike (not the helmet) is something we will investigate as we continue to build out the complete ecosystem for NUVIZ."

The price is huge because there is no competition and they get to set the price. It's that simple.
After the R&D is paid for it will be relatively cheap to manufacture.
Prices will be 1/2 that in a few years, but you have to pay to play and to be one of the cool kids.

The Recon Snow2 does similar stuff for a fraction of the price.
http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/snow2/

I have used one and it's pretty cool. I certainly wouldn't call it a revolution, but it's entertaining and nice to have.

I was thinking about finding a used recon months ago and seeing how it could be fitted into a cheap helmet, only reason I would want a hud is for gps. Although I'm getting my helicopter licence and can easily find my way around up there my sense of direction sometimes becomes shit in the streets. :-\

quadracer351 said:
I was thinking about finding a used recon months ago and seeing how it could be fitted into a cheap helmet, only reason I would want a hud is for gps. Although I'm getting my helicopter licence and can easily find my way around up there my sense of direction sometimes becomes shit in the streets. :-\

My issue with the recon is that it blocks your vision, its like looking at a TV screen not a true HUD.

When I get my 3D robotics drone I'm going to put it on follow-me mode and hook up the video to one of these helmets -- then I'll never get lost and see cops a mile away... :)

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/aerial-robots/drones-that-follow-you

xb33bsa said:
i think you would spend more time looking at the display than at the job in front
and legally you still must have mirrors on the bike
and there is NEVER going to be a safe subsitute for turning your head and looking checking blind spot,before lane changes etc
maybe with all the money they are gonna pay off some politicians to change some laws

I don't think so. I've driven cars with HUD's and they blend into your vision seamlessly. You learn to ignore them much like you ignore what's in your rearview mirror when not paying specific attention to it.

A rear view camera only replaces the mirror, you'd still have to turn your head to check your blind spot anyway. It would be an awesome early warning system for morons behind you. I suspect the camera would actually show you cars in your blind spot too though, it seems to have a very wide angle.

Can someone explain the pricing to me? (Not the highness, but why it is cheaper to order it later, rather than pre-order?)

Pre-order price: $499 deposit, $949 due at shipping = $1448

Wait until it is in production: $1399

That is a little odd....usually a discount for a pre-order...

Attachments

• Skully Price WTF.JPG
    Skully Price WTF.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 217
Back
Top Bottom