Going cross country...

Aircoolin said:
Awesome man me too! I have only had dubs and Hondas my life so far. Besides my recent yamaha r6. I do t remember reading if this one was a vr6 or not?

Joey

Yup. 3.2L VR6, six speed manual, and 4Motion.

hpa kit the install is very close to a custom fabricate hardly what i would call a bolt on

Their new(ish?) DTM 7670 kit is meant to be bolt on. Only running about 7 or 8 PSI, so you can keep the stock compression, too. They claim 10 hour install on their website.

ok i helped my kid (in toronto ) put one on his car and it was a nightmare i wound up fabbing and tigging few new parts so they fit better

but it was a mrk4 kit

Wowzers! I'm in the market for a new car - was looking at the 2015 Golf. Never owned a VW however.

They're bringing the R to North America in 2015. Four door only, though.

2.0L four banger with a turbo. 290hp, AWD, and a six speed manual or seven speed DSG.

Well, those days are behind / ahead of me. For the moment I need a nice reliable car with a little more room than my MINI Clubman (which is apparently near death if you listen to MINI).

I figure in 8 years, my daughter will be 20 and I can revert to a less sensible car to roam the roads with.

Sadly the Clubman, which we like and can squeeze into (trips to the lake are the big issue with coolers etc and the odd friend tagging along) is in the shop. Was misfiring, and MINI did a compression and leak down test. 160 in #1, 180 in #2,3,4. Really not a big drop. Leak down test didn't tell much of a story. 5% loss in Cylinder #1 and no real signs of where it was going.

Their recommendation (and only course of action they were interested in) was a REPLACEMENT ENGINE. I should say, this is a 6 year old car with about 90,000 miles on it.

How much is a replacement engine you might ask? $11,992.00 - that's how much (installed). How much would the car be worth with said engine installed? Perhaps $10,000.

So.... yeah.

Car is now at a proper mechanic's shop who actually would consider something as radical as pulling the cylinder head to see what problems might actually be lurking. And actually be willing to explore the cause of a misfire across all 4 cylinders - not just focus on slightly low compression on 1 of them.

But bottom line, regardless what happens next with the Clubman, we want a slightly larger car for the trips to the lake. This is our only car.

Looking at the Subaru Crosstrek as well. I do live in Canada, and the AWD wouldn't be a bad thing from time to time. The Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (RVR in Canada) looks OK on paper and pics, and the 10 year warranty can't be beat, but I'm not convinced we'd enjoy the car.

Toyota's RAV4, the Honda CRV, Nissan Rogue are all about the same and cost a bit more than the Subaru up here.

For around Toronto, a subcompact can't be beat - Honda Fit would be a great car for in town, if you can get past the looks. But we'd be struggling with it for lake trips.

Will go check out the 2015 Golf (I saw one on the road and it looked bloody nice).

the mini thing get old quick we had a 11 and as soon as the extended warranty was up we traded it in on a new one

the service bills are outrageous

Back
Top Bottom