Masterful exhaust gurus.....I need your help.

Mr-Wolf

Been Around the Block
Can I cut my Mac 4-1 town to where my flashlight is pointed, then slip the muffler on at that point? Or will that cause back pressure issues?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 260
Tune-A-Fish said:
BS... Cut it fuckin Mack knows fuck all how it performs in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

So cut it cause fuck all....... I can get behind that. I can't image 4-6" of pipe can make that much difference. But I know nothing about it.

I know enough to know I am not a guru. I think it will run " less good" . You have to decide if you want form over function. I personally would not shorten it. And I think that is one of the better looking Mac pipes I have seen. Cut firewood instead?

jimmer said:
I know enough to know I am not a guru. I think it will run " less good" . You have to decide if you want form over function. I personally would not shorten it. And I think that is one of the better looking Mac pipes I have seen. Cut firewood instead?

Where are you getting this from? If he was whacking the head pipes to collector maybe that would not be good, the only reason Mack has 10 inches of mid pipe is to fit the stock layout of some sort... He might want to do some research when shortening the can but a seriously doubt the best dyno in the land would detect this whack job :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Masterful exhaust gurus.....I need your help.

I run a 4 into 2 jardine style slipons with the baffles removed on my cb550 and if anything it runs better.

443ccb76f62d44ed61f1bd04d6362b6b.jpg

OK, so let's start with what we know and what we don't know.

Are any of us experts on that pipe and have any of us done any serious R&D on that particular pipe? That's probably a solid NO. So wer are dealing with what we believe to be a probable outcome and that's OK too. We know that typically a collector needs a merge section or mid pipe to stabilize flow and pulses, so chopping off all or most of a mid pipe is likely to hurt performance in some way.

Replacing a can is a simpler issue. The probability that the stock MAC can is dyno tuned and perfect for all engine applications is about the same as my odds of winning the lottery when I don't buy a ticket, but the probability of our new can being any more suited is about the same. We might get lucky. And then again, we might not.

Few of us use all the stock performance and even fewer of us can tell an actual improvement from a hole in the road or in a powerband, so if you like what you want to try, go ahead and give it a go. That pipe is steel and easy to weld bits back on if we don't like the results of our experiments.

Many pipe experiments result in more noise or a dip before it comes on the pipe and both can make a bike feel more powerful even when it's making less power than before. We call it character. :)

You could measure all the header lengths and work out what length you want them to be and then fabricate a suitable merge collector and transition and appropriate mid and tail pipes and so on, but you may end up having to make a few to test before you get one that really improves performance. For a street bike, go for it, just try to keep it quiet please.

Really I just don't like the up and out jog in the mid pipe. So Taking into account all you guys have said, I think I will cut it just past the bend and leave around 6" of mid pipe. I'm not ditching the muffler, I'm not that guy (nothing against those guys, I just like a low growl not a loud bang), I plan on welding a cone onto the end of the muffler though.....

Seriously though, you guys are awesome. Thank you.

Question not related to this, but do I need to replace my head gasket if I remove my head? The gasket is like a month old and only 30mi on it...

Meh... Standing next to all the techs listening to the jargon won't make you a scientist.

Nope im no guru cept maybe Bewbers, I have a PHD in Boobs and motorboating... This is no high tech race machine and no guru exists outside of maybe Terry Vance and Mr Yoshimura himself... everyone else pretty much relies on proven theory and testing... I have made exhaust for a few bikes and chopped a hell of a lot more and i will personally grantee the thing won't move the needle after that section is cut out... get it tuned with the section in then get the before after dyno runs and if it decreased perf Ill buy you a new header. Your chain and tire choice are likely robbing you more than that pipe modified ever will :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
Meh... Standing next to all the techs listening to the jargon won't make you a scientist.

Nope im no guru cept maybe Bewbers, I have a PHD in Boobs and motorboating... This is no high tech race machine and no guru exists outside of maybe Terry Vance and Mr Yoshimura himself... everyone else pretty much relies on proven theory and testing... I have made exhaust for a few bikes and chopped a hell of a lot more and i will personally grantee the thing won't move the needle after that section is cut out... get it tuned with the section in then get the before after dyno runs and if it decreased perf Ill buy you a new header. Your chain and tire choice are likely robbing you more than that pipe modified ever will :eek:

Not even close to a race machine.....currently it's a no top end machine for the second time due to oil leak after rebuild.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Yeah I seen that :( Did the gasket fail or are you looking for some warpage?

Hard to say, the base gasket was really hard to read. it was split at the back, but I'm not 100%sure I didn't do that while removing it. With everything being torqued properly I can only assume gasket failure............that's the cheap plan, take the gasket off cut my own gasket specifically for this bike from high quality and free material and put it back together and see what happens.

If the base gasket is ~1/64 thick should I get a gasket that is around ~1/32nd thick just to help or stay with stock size?

Generally if you shorten the exhaust you lose mid range power, it won't make a massive difference to the top end power.
I know squiddly diddly about Mac exhausts but I doubt if it's been any where near a dyno.

Tune-A-Fish said:

Exactly. We're talking old 4 stroke, there's probably less science in that pipe setup than in a Briggs engine.

It'll probably perform better than your tyres..... 8)

It will go straight out though because you will be cutting out the kicked up part of the mid pipe and will probably look daft as well as hang out / scrape on something.

hillsy said:
It will go straight out though because you will be cutting out the kicked up part of the mid pipe

Now that is useful feedback... gonna have to cut the thing twice to save the kink and weld or have it welded back in. I would cut it so the weld will be all the way up to the collector just back a 1/4in... crank the welder up on high with fast wire feed, practice the weld several times on the scrap so you can weld half or more of a 360 without stopping, I have to hold the gun upright and use my thumb on the trigger... Or if you have a tig welder, then hell take all the time you want ::)

hillsy said:
It'll probably perform better than your tyres..... 8)

In my defense they are brand new and came with the bike... nothing I would purchase.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Now that is useful feedback... gonna have to cut the thing twice to save the kink and weld or have it welded back in. I would cut it so the weld will be all the way up to the collector just back a 1/4in... crank the welder up on high with fast wire feed, practice the weld several times on the scrap so you can weld half or more of a 360 without stopping, I have to hold the gun upright and use my thumb on the trigger... Or if you have a tig welder, then hell take all the time you want ::)

Damn, I didn't think about that. I cant take the muffler off and see if it will fit till I get the top end back together later this week. Maybe the plan should be cut off and reduce the angle of the kink a bit, then cut off some mid pipe and re-weld the kink back on and the most upright angle I can get without hitting anything.

So side question. Can I double up the thickness of my base gasket or will that cause problems?

Mr-Wolf said:
So side question. Can I double up the thickness of my base gasket or will that cause problems?

It will probably mess with your cam timing as it will lift the head up a tad and the cam chain links will not correspond. You might get lucky and it's exactly one link out....or else you'll need to slot the cam sprocket and time it manually.

Anyway, why the double gasket?

Back
Top Bottom