Sr250 Cdi aftermarket?

merc4now

Been Around the Block
Well I went and messed up trying to strip down my wiring somehow I wired battery up backwards and pretty sure I fired the cdi. Luckily I have two almost complete Sr250's 81,82. so I swapped and now it runs again. My question is are there aftermarket units or are we already stuck with eBay's 150-200 used cdis for a 80s machine? Is there a full aftermarket set up for a 250? I mean $300 for a newer system cdi/points would be reasonable but 200 for a used box seems crazy? I found xs500 ect set ups but I guess market isn't good enough for a sr250?

Any chance a Chinese knock off of the sr250 exist and used a similar cdi?
I even have a xt250 but quickly found it is a totally different CDI.

Unfortunately I can't help you out on this, but am interested to hear what responses come back, just in case I need one down the road.

I hope you're able to find something! Let us know how you make out.

I'm actually considering tearing the bad one apart but I hate messing with potted electronics so much work and so easy to damage components that you need info off of. I'm an electronics tech (yeah and I blew it by being lazy and not putting in a fuse) but honestly not good enough to 100% reverse engineer one. Just figured that Korea and china copied all these bikes (at least a ton of Hondas) for the most part after the patent copy rights went out that they made a few more modern ones with a cheap cdi. Hell I may just try a few and see if any work. I know there was some info about how to build your own xt550 cdi but it's not compatible.

I might be able to find something if you can get me readings from the CDI stator wires. I need Ohms between each wire (if the wires have continuity) and the Ohms between each wire and ground.

sure thing I'll take some readings after work today.

I'm guessing you mean ohms between the leads of the cdi or between each external component, or the stator?

merc4now said:
sure thing I'll take some readings after work today.

I'm guessing you mean ohms between the leads of the cdi or between each external component, or the stator?

The leads on the stator, please.

totally missed that you clearly typed stator in the first reply.

No problem I'll post'em from both sr250 stators I have to try and get more then one example. although I'd hope they are the same fewer electronics I have to replace the better.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71764.0

Check my thread I just replaced the capacitors and now my ignition box works again.

Thanks hani. Ill try the caps mine the egg looking diode was actually blown so I replaced it with what i could find close enough part number and specs. So far no luck no spark at all. Ill try caps and then the amp if needed hoping the timing circuit isnt screwed. Its so old of a circuit.

It's probably fine. The egg diode is just a standard zener diode. You can replace it with one from radio shack. As for the caps get the exact same ones

Back
Top Bottom