Sachs 150cc 2-stroke repair

Taking the old darling home to my parents where the rest of the bike is. Safety first! :D

Chopping together a makeshift exhaust from the old bits..

May well prove to be permanent :)

That's good to see that antique Sachs engine being put back into service rather than just sitting somewhere;I'd much rather 'keep'em running to keep'em alive' ;) myself.
I don't want to own too many bikes because I can only ride one at a time.

grcamna5 said:
That's good to see that antique Sachs engine being put back into service rather than just sitting somewhere;I'd much rather 'keep'em running to keep'em alive' ;) myself.
I don't want to own too many bikes because I can only ride one at a time.
Yea, these were sadly scrapped by the thousands 20-30 years ago..
Luckily there's spares to be had still, pretty expensive though. But since this is my first bike, I'm gonna keep it alive beyond whats reasonable!

Nice work! Nothing I like better than seeing these old machines brought back to life again. BZ!

That would be one neat little skirt chaser for a high school boy... too bad they would never appreciate it today!! And the law would never allow such heinous behavior :(

Btw, this is how we weld exhaust pipes in the bushes: oxyacetylene!

Born bad goggles!

Gonna keep this, love how it turned out..
Now im just gonna leave this for a while and open the engine later to see what went wrong with the kicker and gear adjustment..
Have to focus on the triple engine for now, spring is just around the corner.

Dirty gas and dirty rod... works a charm on exhaust pipe as long as you don't blow a silver dollar in it.

Just blew a few tiny holes.. nothing major.. it was popping wildly before i got the flame tuned in!
Not really good at gas welding, but its very forgiving on old rusted shit! :)

Been out testriding the old thing after my old man did some gear adjustments on it.. hes been around these old engines since way before i was born so he had better luck with it. Now 2nd only jumps out sometimes, which i guess is ok, age considered..
Runs sweet through the revs and cruising speed is about 60km/h :)
Now i only need to fix the rear light, then its just to send in some paperwork to have it re-registered for road use!

Update! Fixed the rear light, then the headlight blew out.. luckily theres a shop in town specializing in vintage stuff that sells these old 6 volt bulbs. Will pay them a visit.

Oh, like a 60 y.o lightweight 150cc 2stroke with no rear suspension! :D
Its actually surprisingly good! Clutch and gears work now, before the primary axle had nothing retaining it in the case so it was just a mess.. really happy with this repair job.
Also its running a lot better after i burnt the old crud out of the silencer, was full of old gooey oil residue..
Of course its a slow bike and not really fit for todays fast paced traffic, this one is more something you take out for a slow sunset ride to get some icecream or whatever.

giphy.gif

datadavid said:
Of course its a slow bike and not really fit for todays fast paced traffic, this one is more something you take out for a slow sunset ride to get some icecream or whatever.

if you are using premium gas, you can do a compression test and if its less than around 145, you can get a noticeable increase in power by increasing it to 170 - 175.

Yea and i could hydroform an expansion chamber for the exhaust, but i dont really think tuning this engine for power is worth the effort.
These machines dont have a head gasket either, just a sealing lip in the head, so to raise comp I'd have to skim the cylinder a bit, and that would take some calculation to get it exactly right.. and i only have one cylinder to try it on. I guess if i wanted speed i could just throw in a 150cc honda engine, and save this for posterity.

Back
Top Bottom