Brodie's '72 Honda XL250 Motosport!

New seat cover arrived today. Stuck it on to stretch out before I put the holes in for the strap. Still need to cut out the rusty old bolts and re-thread the holes.

Also started polishing a few bits.

Attachments

• IMG_20190510_090159.jpg
    IMG_20190510_090159.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_20190510_090207.jpg
    IMG_20190510_090207.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_20190510_090341.jpg
    IMG_20190510_090341.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 677
Just bought some 6v electrical parts so looks like I will be keeping the stock system for a little.

I like the look of the electrixworld 12v cdi and stator kit. Might be an option for the future.

I also did a quick colour version of the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• XL250%20wiring.png
    XL250%20wiring.png
    665.8 KB · Views: 256
Did a bit of work to the wiring diagram in hopes to modify it for a new reg/rec. Not sure if splicing the white stator wire into the yellow stator wire will work but my understanding is that it should.

Rather then using the white stator wire to power the headlight I will use the black hot wire so the white stator wire can help keep the battery charged.

Attachments

• XL250 wiring mods.png
    XL250 wiring mods.png
    576 KB · Views: 275
I have been working on the carby and have come to the conclusion that it is buggered. The slide gets stuck half way down and needs a slight tap to move it. The parts inside the bowl are corroded and someone butchered the emulsion tube in the past.

So now I am left wondering. Do I search for a replacement or do I buy a new VM32 and set it up.

Also the stainless bolt kit I ordered as arrived from France. Should make it a little nicer to work out without all those damn Philips head bolts.

Brodie said:
I have been working on the carby and have come to the conclusion that it is buggered. The slide gets stuck half way down and needs a slight tap to move it. The parts inside the bowl are corroded and someone butchered the emulsion tube in the past.

So now I am left wondering. Do I search for a replacement or do I buy a new VM32 and set it up.

Also the stainless bolt kit I ordered as arrived from France. Should make it a little nicer to work out without all those damn Philips head bolts.
I've probably got a stock carbie Brodie, I can have a look if you're interested, otherwise Mikunioz are worth a try for a new genuine Mikuni.

Brodie said:

I absolutely hated the Keihin on my XL350. I messed with it for countless hours and could never get it to run right.

1 vote for Mikuni.

Yep, I think Murray CXMan can sell you one all ready to go that will need little to no tuning as well.

Maritime said:
Yep, I think Murray CXMan can sell you one all ready to go that will need little to no tuning as well.

With the Aussie dollar trading as weak as it is I can imagine that it would be any cheaper than a new Mikuni. The thought had crossed my mind though.

advCo said:
I absolutely hated the Keihin on my XL350. I messed with it for countless hours and could never get it to run right.

1 vote for Mikuni.

I have heard they can be a massive pain in the ass. Did you end up keeping yours or swapping?

Pete12 said:
I've probably got a stock carbie Brodie, I can have a look if you're interested, otherwise Mikunioz are worth a try for a new genuine Mikuni.

If it is not to much hassle I would appreciate it. Thanks Pete.

Brodie said:
I have heard they can be a massive pain in the ass. Did you end up keeping yours or swapping?

I sold the bike before I got around to doing the swap, but it was next on my list.

Hi Brodie, I have a red and black XL250 with a carbie on it, if you can check that they're the same (I think they are) then I'll pull it off and check the condition. If it's good and you want it then we're in business.

Attachments

• DSC00226.JPG
    DSC00226.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 228
Looks like it is the wrong one. I think yours is whats know as a center port engine where mine is the older side port.
Thanks though, looks like a new VM32 is the go then.

You're right about the ports Brodie, but I think the carbie is still the same. Do you want me to take it off and take some pictures for you?

If it isn't to much of a hassle I would appreciate it. Either that or a few photos from different angles.

Here's a couple of photos. Hope is it of some use to you as the inside looks brand new and the slide goes up and down - it just needs a good cleanup.

Attachments

• DSC00226.JPG
    DSC00226.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 244
  • DSC00227.JPG
    DSC00227.JPG
    688.2 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC00230.JPG
    DSC00230.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 229
That's the one! Just the idle adjustment and control plates are different. How much do you want for that Pete? Pm me if you prefer.

You wouldn't happen to have the choke cable bracket for the handle bars? Mine is MIA.

Brodie said:
That's the one! Just the idle adjustment and control plates are different. How much do you want for that Pete? Pm me if you prefer.

You wouldn't happen to have the choke cable bracket for the handle bars? Mine is MIA.
You just pay the postage (probably around $15) and it's all yours. I'll have a look for the choke cable tomorrow, pretty sure it's there as I has to pull the choke cable off haha. PM your address and I'll ship it tomorrow as I have to go to Vietnam on Tuesday.

In anticipation of receiving the carb from Pete I decided to give my old carbs bowl and top a quick polish. Before and after shots below. Could have gotten it better with some sanding but for a dirt bike it doesn't need to be perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_205747.jpg
    IMG_20190527_205747.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_20190527_211939.jpg
    IMG_20190527_211939.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 425
Thanks mate. Could have done a bit more but I only had the one dodgy buffing wheel and never hit it with the sandpaper.

Back
Top Bottom