'72 CB350 K4 - 'ol no.7 - Swingarm progress

Bobdot

Coast to Coast
Hey all,

Been with the site for years now (4?) asking questions, trying to answer questions, buying stuff, and most importantly learning a lot and gathering an infinite amount of inspiration.

I started this project in 2007 and its finally coming to fruition 3 years later. I havent been the best with photo documentation but Ive got some highlights through the years. Getting better with all that now so the final stages with be well documented. I got this bike the summer after graduating as a project to replace my RD350 I had since high school. Looked the part but had infinite issues just trying to get it running. Luckily, the good guys at Liberty Vintage here in Philly helped me out (and continue to) on all the mechanical things I either dont have the facilities for or the time.

who cares about the history mumbo jumbo? I'll start from the begining the best I can with pics. Any questions or comments let me know, I'd love to hear what you think. Here we go...

100_2027.jpg

how I got her

100_2044.jpg

my apartment/garage "situation"

100_2028.jpg

Re: '72 CB350 K4 - 'ol no.7

DSCN0056.jpg

running, cleaned up a little, bar end mirrors
DSCN0062.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

hockey tape to cover up some rusty spots
DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0119.jpg

CL exhaust installed, straight pipes from DTT, sorry I cant remember who i got them from but thank you!

DSCN0116.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

It's lookin good so far Bob! If you want to get rid of the tape on the fork tubes, check out my build thread - there's a little how-to on using some chrome pipe.

From Philly, huh? Did you check out thee DTT PA roll call yet?

Ringing in '09 by test fitting a new muffler
DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

DSCN0175.jpg

seat pan template
DSCN0177.jpg

seat material, Plaid suit jacket fabric...
DSCN0186.jpg

no.7 vinyl on the seat

Ya man. Looks good. And BigR is right, head over and sign up on the PA roll call. http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=14965.10

And maybe this is a dumb question, but you have a second muffler right? ???

Big R said:
It's lookin good so far Bob! If you want to get rid of the tape on the fork tubes, check out my build thread - there's a little how-to on using some chrome pipe.

From Philly, huh? Did you check out thee DTT PA roll call yet?

Thanks! I did check in, probably sometime in '08. I keep forgetting it's there. I'll keep an eye out, it'll be awesome to meet up with you guys in "real life"

VonYinzer said:
Ya man. Looks good. And BigR is right, head over and sign up on the PA roll call. http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=14965.10

And maybe this is a dumb question, but you have a second muffler right? ???

haha, yea. I can only upload so fast! Here are some shots of the 2-1 collector I fabbed up. It's not the "end all" design but it works just fine for now.
DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0222.jpg

it's a bit lengthy for my taste, but i'll get to that later...
DSCN0224.jpg

New seat, a bit more comfy on the old bum
IMG_0350-1.jpg

IMG_0351-1.jpg

engine after getting rebuilt at the shop. Kitchen table=engine stand
IMG_0193-1.jpg

Shiny
IMG_0194-1.jpg

After getting the engine back, I decided to take some serious extra effort and do everything I've always wanted to do for this bike before putting it all back together. Otherwise, I know I'd regret it and just have to pull it all apart again down the road (not saying that wont happen anyways but...)

Cleaning up the engine and adding a touch of paint
IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

HOORAY!!!
IMG_0410.jpg

I like!
IMG_0412.jpg

Now the serious work. Here's how she sat about a week ago. Advancements include, but not limited to - SL350 rear shocks, clip-ons, re-wired electrics, remounted battery, de-tabbing, new custom guage cluster (no more tach for the moment), remounter ignition into said cluster and more that I'm probably forgetting. It's been a good month!

IMG_0413.jpg

Lucky enough to find an apartment with a garage in South Philly, putting it to good use.
IMG_0414.jpg

my 350 in the middle and my roomates CB360T on the left and a newly aquired Kawy 100 project

My buddy Dan came over this weekend and snapped a few photos for me, here's a few of them...

Wrenching away
Pic_14-1.jpg

Pic_6-1.jpg

Pic_2-1.jpg

engine finally mounted back in, everything is starting to fall into place!
Pic_3-1.jpg

Pic_15-1.jpg

onto the new exhaust setup. Traded stretch armstrong aka Mr.27" muffler in for a 17" compact version. Took some liberties with the original CL heat shield and fabbed up a new one that matches the 2-1 I've got going on. Mounting it was interesting seeing as how I hacked the original mounts off ages ago. Alas, it all seems to be working out well, and I think looks a million times better.

Other improvements include painted forks, more shiny bits thanks to the addition of a 6" bench grinder/polishing station to the garage, and some tape on the headlight for style points. Still undecided yet regarding the tape but its staying for now. Sent the tank and tail out to a guy I found on craigslist to paint SATIN black....long story short, didnt work out quite as planned and now have two very MATTE black pieces which I'll have to paint myself anyway. O well, win some and lose some. More on that as the week progresses.

Here's a few more shots of the exhaust, etc.

Pic_9-1.jpg

Pic_7-1.jpg

Pic_5-1.jpg

Just a few more before I hit the sack, I know how much everyone loves the pretty pictures on here

Better view of the new cluster. Laser engraved/cut 3/16" clear acrylic with LED's for the Neutral and signal indicators.
DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

really like how the enigne is coming along
DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Really like how the build is coming along! You're doin awesome work. I especially love the plaid covered seat! Keep it up cant wait to see it completed!

Thanks Ted! Designed and cut some vinyl decals for the tank and seat. Satin black paint with bright white decals. I made the Honda logo using the old school ducati typeface. Havent seen that one done before and I think it'll match the bike well. The 7 will go on the tail again and the logo and racing stripes will go on the tank. Now I'm just trying to figure out where I want to place everything. My gas cap is off-center towards the right side so do I put the stripes off-center on the left or straight down the center? I really like the idea of having an asymetrical bike. I'll have to throw it into Illustrator and have a look. All opinions and comments are welcome of course!

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Honda_Duc.jpg

Those decals are killer. Great idea. Any chance you can gut some out of a gold foil type material?

VonYinzer said:
Those decals are killer. Great idea. Any chance you can gut some out of a gold foil type material?

Heck yea. Me and a buddy of mine used to work in the sign industry and bought vinyl cutters after leaving, I'll look up some prices on the gold and let you know. I'm always down for cutting vinyl.

You are the man. Ill be in Philly here soon. (not exactly sure when yet...) We should grab a beer!

VonYinzer said:
You are the man. Ill be in Philly here soon. (not exactly sure when yet...) We should grab a beer!

you had me at beer. Let me know when you're in town, hopefully I'll have the bike road worthy by the end of this weekend if everything goes as planned.

Back
Top Bottom