"Dago" Resurrecting a 350F gently

Interesting name for a project build :p

Why not 'chink', 'zipperhead', 'spic' or the N word that no one is allowed to type?

mlinder said:

Why not 'chink', 'zipperhead', 'spic' or the N word that no one is allowed to type?

HAHAH sensitive much?

Nope :)

Just wondering why someone would call their project build the equivalent of "Gook" or whatever.

The slur 'dago' has always confounded me as to how it became a derogatory term for Italians, when it started as a derogatory term for Spaniards and Portuguese.

Some bastardization of the last name "Diego".

Dun know many Italian Diegos. :)

Re: Re: "Dago" Resurrecting a 350F gently

Big Rich said:
Done yet?

Seriously, any updates Ronnie?
Rich, I was supposed to crew change tomorrow, but it's looking like Wednesday some time because the rig needs it's drilling fluid, yesterday and we're stuck 300 miles away with a tire in one of our Z-drives.. I have a good bit of stuff at home to unbox and pick up my rims from the shop.. So updates are a coming.

mlinder said:

Because 1 yes I'm Italian and 2. see below

mlinder said:
The slur 'dago' has always confounded me as to how it became a derogatory term for Italians, when it started as a derogatory term for Spaniards and Portuguese.

Some bastardization of the last name "Diego".

Dun know many Italian Diegos. :)
The term dago originated in the north east USA back in the day when the Italians came over on their boats looking for new opportunities. At first, they were paid by the week, but they soon found out that businessmen would fire them or just not pay them before the weeks end. So we got smart and made them pay us as the "day goes" by, hence the term dagos. The Italians, Irish, and Scotts were all treated almost as if they were slaves, they were considered the lowest in society. But yea, that's where the term comes from, and diego I'm sure is a Spanish translation of that.

The second reason I named this dago was because I work on a ship so I can really only get to my bike half of the year, so I get to it as the day goes by when I'm home.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I getcha.

I'm just wondering if a black guy naming his bike build "ni**er" would fly here. :)

For the record, the term Dago was transferred to Italians in the early 1900's. It was coined in the 1600's referring to, as I said, Spaniards and Portuguese.

Anyway, have fun with the 350f. Was always one of my favorite bikes. There's nothing like the song of that little 4 banger at 10k RPM :)

Here is the complete list of bike names... um,

I mean derogatory terms :: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

Ichiban Moto said:
Here is the complete list of bike names... um,

I mean derogatory terms :: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

There's nothing listed for Sicilians in there.. I'm offended by this blatant discrimination.

Ok, so back to this Rad motorcycle being built around here.......

Keep at it Ronnie! I'm excited for updates on this bike. I'm living vicariously thru the internet......

Haha! Yea, I'll get to the updates soon, crew change was pushed back to Wednesday.. Just wanting to get home at this point, been a long month.

I don't find dago offensive. Now if someone calls me that or a wop without knowing what it means,then they will hear some words. And the term dago is referred to Italians here in the USA along with wop (stands for "without papers", Italians were poor and couldn't afford the proper immigration papers), Diego is a word for Spaniards but is a European thing and wasn't much a slur against Spanish people from what I have gathered. Though could be wrong.

I don't see where derogatory terms apply here..

Ronnie great build, I also am a fan of the 350/4
I honestly thought you were Scottish, with the motto "hold fast" I'm Scottish on my Mother's side and "Hold Fast" is the official Clan McLeod motto.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
Ronnie great build, I also am a fan of the 350/4
I honestly thought you were Scottish, with the motto "hold fast" I'm Scottish on my Mother's side and "Hold Fast" is the official Clan McLeod motto.
Cheers, 50gary
Oh thanks man.. Haha, no not Scottish! It's a sailor/seaman term.

So I just got home from offshore... Been up since yesterday at 6pm, 27 hours ago. Had a nice stack of sweet boxes when I got home.. Head is done!! Going to prep it for paint tomorrow. Carbs, tires, velocity stacks, front fender all in! I unfortunately did not get my rims from the shop because our helicopter flight got delayed mulitple times so I didn't get the chance to do it. I'll bring the tires when I pick them up and have the guy mount the tires too. I'm too exhausted to open the boxes any further, and I don't want to mess something up being tired. I'll have some more pictures tomorrow.

I'll post pictures.

Oh and my boots too!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379555111717.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379555111717.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 561
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379555124024.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379555124024.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 569
Looks like Christmas time. Except instead of a sweater with reindeer on it, it's actually cool stuff.

So I awoke this morning at a dark and quiet 5am(body is still trying to work the night watch) so I decided to get some work done on my bike while I was up. Crazy thing is, when you wake up that early, you can get a LOT done before noon! I started with getting my head cleaned up and ready for the new gasket and threebond. I did forget to replace the oil galley rubbers.. oh well, the old ones should be alright, hopefully haha! Put the head on, got it all torqued to spec and ready to get the cam in. Got the came in, lined it up with what I think was TDC, but didn't check the marking when the head was off.. Whoops. Got the cam chain tensioner, chain and sprocket all mounted up and looking orderly. I then started with the valve cover and putting the rocker arms and springs in. Come to find out I was missing a locking nut on one of the arms, so I ended up taking on off the ol' 350f I have laying in the garage. Thanks bud. Got that complete and torqued down with some new SS allen bolts that look so much nicer than the old ones, plus I saved time by not having to clean the old ones. I then cleaned up and painted the starter by taking it apart and checking the ohms for proper resistance and cleaned out the brushes and wiped the cap out. Painted it up and put it back together, then installed it in the engine. After that, I put the stator back on.. And initally thought I screwed up big time because I was using another socket wrench on the points side and ended up sheering the two little nubs on the bolt deal.. Then I remember that 350f engine I had lying there, so I stole the points unit out of that one haha! I don't think I'll be able to sell it as a whole by the time the 466 is finished at this rate! I ended up using a impact wrench to tighten down on the stator bolt, just bumped it a few times to tighten it up. Put that all together and cleaned up as well.

The only thing left on it is the breather cover and the left crankcase cover, which I'm doing something special on that I'll show later once the engine is done. These will be the last engine pics until its complete. I'll include pictures of today's things now for yall to look at. Enjoy.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379648033631.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379648033631.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 208
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379648072293.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379648072293.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 206
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379648088659.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379648088659.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 201
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379648122062.jpg