Builtwell novelty helmets?

Personally, I'd say go for a DOT-approved helmet. The problem most people seem to have with DOT helmets is the size and bulk. If I looked at the right page, the Biltwell novelty helmets seem to have all the size and bulk without any of the protection. Bell, Z1R, Rockhard, THH, Vega, and a ton of others make DOT helmets that look almost exactly like the Biltwell novelty. Aside from the finish, the DOT Biltwell looks pretty much the same too, for that matter.

*edit - Just checked out your build thread. That orange looks awesome! Are you trying to find a helmet to match the color?

That color or a crazy black and silver combo. been searching ebay for a vintage one but they are just all kinda nasty. If I can find a clean white one I might just take it to my painter and have him do his thing.

Vintage helmets are not safe, no matter how nice they are.
All helmet lining materials, and even the shell degrade over time.
If you want a 3/4, and care wheter or not it will actually work at all to save your skull, get a DOT one. You can buy any color you want, and have it painted to match whatever you want.
Be careful though, as some paints react poorly with plastic and will degrade it, making it less safe.
It all comes down to whether or not you would ride without a helmet. If yes, buy whatever works for you. If not, Im not sure what your question is.

If your riding a an old honda that tops out @ 85 mph the Builtwell is perfect. And they are not as bulky as everything else out there in the 3/4 style brain bucket. Thats why they are so popular. Your motorcycle will still have the ability to get you laid, even after you put the helmet on. ha ha

I'll mostly just be crusin around town I'll hit 50 tops so I think I will just drop a hundo and get that badass duo-tone builtwell.
Thanks for you imput guys!

Ok man, but please just remember that non DOT helmets are for show only. The Biltwell, and any old helmet will simply serve as a tool to scoop up whats left of ya if something bad happens.
Im not telling you what to do, nor am I trying to start a helmet debate, (so everyone relax). But be aware that a non DOT helmet will provide NO protection, no matter how fast your going. Its just a toy. That is all.

for what it's worth the Rockhard American Classic helmet is small and DOT approved, and less expensive than the biltwell.

Checkout leatherup.com for some sweet deals on buckets. I just picked up a brand new Bell Zephyr on closeouts for 40 bux. My next helmets gonna be a Nolan. Not like i need another

Swapmeet Louie said:
If your riding a an old honda that tops out @ 85 mph the Builtwell is perfect. And they are not as bulky as everything else out there in the 3/4 style brain bucket. Thats why they are so popular. Your motorcycle will still have the ability to get you laid, even after you put the helmet on. ha ha
CLASSIC!!!!

You might try Fulmer. Their V2 line is very retro and still DOT approved. I have a couple and they are very similiar to the Builtwells which I also have. They sit just a small bit higher on the head but still look cool 8) .

Attachments

• Spartan Jacket, Builtwell Helmet, GTL Build Pics.... 016.jpg
    Spartan Jacket, Builtwell Helmet, GTL Build Pics.... 016.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 270
  • Spartan Jacket, Builtwell Helmet, GTL Build Pics.... 017.jpg
    Spartan Jacket, Builtwell Helmet, GTL Build Pics.... 017.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 282
  • Spartan Jacket, Builtwell Helmet, GTL Build Pics.... 018.jpg
    Spartan Jacket, Builtwell Helmet, GTL Build Pics.... 018.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 295
As far as a go, or a no go, I'd have to say it's all up to you. It is your head, isn't it?

I have a DOT full face HJC and a Biltwell, I like em' both.

Back
Top Bottom