New here, i make vintage looking jackets... what ya think?

vdubjim

VW aficionado
Made some for the local car clubs and just my own.

Fav of course is REDKAPP, NO dickies. they fit like crap and the stain resistant stuff messes with my process. Dickies are ok if OLD. Have done 3 leathers.

P101014511-vi.jpg

bombsaway-vi.jpg

32a7594911483689b5670201bba46e-vi.jpg

vespashirt-vi.jpg

i make a stencil and then hand paint them

Nice work man!! Care to share some techniques on how to make things look old and worn out? I know that you can use paper towels to sort of "blot" the area to create something that looks like cracks in the paint. Is that correct? Also, is there any special paint that you use to avoid excess wear? Oil Base? Sorry for all the N00b questions.

Caf'd Out, my mom uses regular latex house paint to stencil on t-shirts and such, the flexing of the fabric gives it the worn look. Not sure how durable that would be on a jacket, but it might be a start.

Caf'd Out, my mom uses regular latex house paint to stencil on t-shirts and such, the flexing of the fabric gives it the worn look. Not sure how durable that would be on a jacket, but it might be a start.
Ah alright. I imagine the latex in the paint would allow the paint to stretch and move a little. I like that aged look though. No one wants to be riding their ole cafe with bright new paint on their jacket; just wouldnt look right ya know? Thanks for the tip. I will be trying this this summer when it stops snowing in Upstate NY. If it ever.

i use oil based paint to make sure it 'sticks'

brushing it on in various directions and 'dry brush' for age. wash once alone for the flake off and good to go.

Dickies that are NEW have stain resistant stuff, so that vespa shirt lasted about a year before needing redone.

THe used redkap jackets are on 2+ years, and look the same or alittle more aged but look great still. It really depends on the condition of the fabric, like the 'pores' for the paint to grab.

Back
Top Bottom