Martha Stewart meets Silence of the Lambs.....

Milehighcb

West Coast Bound
I have been collecting patches and pins to make into a "patch jacket". I was debating over using a Rocker style or Cafe style and decided on a Rocker. I have a few jackets already, but wanted to obtain a Schott jacket to see what the difference between a Schott and other brands. Scored a Schott jacket from Ebay and although there was an impression of a star on the shoulder thingy, I am not protesting it to be a 1 star. I did however replace the star. The PO had various pins and studs in the jacket, so I decided to add my own touches.

After serious cleaning and conditioning I set out to put the patches on. Not wanting have someone else do something I figured I could do myself, I purchased a brand new Singer 6061 sewing machine. Luckily I bought it close enough to Mothers day that the guy may not have wondered what is this dude buying this for??
After a few hours of trail and error, a big ball of torn thread on the floor, I think I got the hang of it. Sewing leather jackets is not as easy as test material, but it was time to nut up or shut up. (was watching Zombieland while sewing).

Enter the subject line....I felt like the freak from Silence of the lambs...sewing a skin suit....preeecioussss...

Ok, enough with my useless humor, here are the snaps.

I sewed the devil onto the Do The Ton patch, personally I think it looks badass!

Attachments

• sm jacket.jpg
    sm jacket.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 288
  • sm jacket2.jpg
    sm jacket2.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 288
This is a brown Brooks jacket that I bought for kicking around. I need to create a new liner for the jacket, but after a tub of mink oil, it looks pretty good.

Attachments

• brooks.jpg
    brooks.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 261
  • brooks2.jpg
    brooks2.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 275
Here is my new bitch tool that made it all happen. Now I am not saying I am good at sewing or have a career in a sweatshop, but I did my own patch jacket.

Attachments

• singer.jpg
    singer.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 271
Nicely done. In regards to the machine comment, just like the back of your jacket says, "Built, not bought". :D

Leather, you need one like this:

4299239_2.jpg

I have the same machine pictured here. Its heavy as hell but is made for that kind of sewing. I dont think you will be doing enough to warrant one tho.

I almost bought an industrial sewing machine, but it was huge, heavy and above my needs. It was all of $90.00, but I didn't want to lug something that size around. It didn't have a "guide foot" so it wasn't or my skill level or needs. fuck, I know sewing machine lingo now...

The Singer is more than I need as far as features, all digital, but I bought some leather gauge needles, and it zipped through the leather and patches with no issues. I think it would bog down if sewing leather to leather, especially thick stuff. This one will see some more use with the liner project, and also to make new liners for the many helmets I have that could use a new liner.

I'm looking to design safety gear that looks cool at the same time. Something along the lines of post apocalyptic. Something you'd find in Mad Max or World Gone Wild.

MNBikerPup said:
I'm looking to design safety gear that looks cool at the same time. Something along the lines of post apocalyptic. Something you'd find in Mad Max or World Gone Wild.

You'll have at least one customer... :)

Back
Top Bottom