Suzuki GR650 - back to work...

Re: Ah yes, the pieces are coming together nicely......GR650

How you had that picture so readily available is beyond me....... :D

But you're right, it is a terrible name. Any time somebody asks me about the bike i just refer to it as a "GR650". Quickly followed by "the bastard of the GS models".

He's my father... :'(

Loving the race style seat! Not liking the other one at all..I dislike when people "hack the whole back end of the bike off" and leave it like in that picture..

Just my .02

Im still up in the air about what to do about the seat. The frame dips behind the gas tank so a normal fiberglass seat just wont fit right.

Ideally, i would like to use the original seat pan and add fiberglass / foam to suit.

And i hear ya about the "cut the frame and leave it" - some styles look ok with it but some really dont. I know the owner or that red GR and he isnt done with that project yet.

Oh, and Diesel - that was really funny.

Big Rich said:
Im still up in the air about what to do about the seat. The frame dips behind the gas tank so a normal fiberglass seat just wont fit right.

Ideally, i would like to use the original seat pan and add fiberglass / foam to suit.

And i hear ya about the "cut the frame and leave it" - some styles look ok with it but some really dont. I know the owner or that red GR and he isnt done with that project yet.

Oh, and Diesel - that was really funny.

I was thinking of going this route (Foam and cover, mounts to stock seatpan) which I love..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400138848495&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

but I may spend $20 on sheet metal, and see if I can come up with a decent looking "hump" seat pan, I totally feel like the seat is dragging down the overall look of my bike

Plus, I figured Jim could take my seat, shape the foam and recover it for less than the $150 ebay cover/foam

Is that a pic of the side cover paint scheme? That thing looks pretty clean man. And for a good price, too! :eek:

Which pic? The one of the bike on the trailer? Then yes. The left side cover is a mirror image of the right. Thanks bro!

Aetsh - you should talk to Jim about your seat if he comes out tomorrow. He does them for a living and he is GOOD!

Im gonna if he does! Local business > ebay anyday!

4949110536_977fbedd6b_b.jpg

I just wanted you to see this, Cleveland MvR, my exact bike, ratrod/bobber/chop.. The big bars actually look comfortable! :)

I'll stop spamming your thread now ;D

I really like the look of that inspirational red bike you posted with the 'rear of the bike hacked off'. If you've got a drop-frame after the tank, I think that look pulls off way better (and easier) than a straight seat-frame bike. I agree you can't just cut it off and leave it, but embrace the solo seat if that's what you're going with. You don't see bicycles with some huge tail piece on the back... and that's my $0.02. I think this is going to be a cool project and I like your taste, both the blue and the red bike. If you're going with apes though, I just might stop reading... :)

Hey Big Rich,

Here's a couple of photo's of the standard seat pan to give you some idea of what you have to work with, they are pretty big and odd shaped.

04092010242.jpg

04092010241.jpg

04092010240.jpg

Hope this helps
Cheers
Dave

Actually Dave, that does help out a lot! Thank you. And you're right, there is a whole ton of seat pan to work with.

Buy ya Joe, I've tried to convince the guy to join DTT and give some updates, but he said there isnt any. Oh well, gotta make my own updates......

Hi there, just thought I'd post some ideas for a tempter tail section. I found these when looking to make a cafe seat for my tempter.

Attachments

• 20090703124947131.jpg
    20090703124947131.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 538

Thanks Cippo! That's quite a collection of GR seats - you must have searched for those for a while. Welcome to DTT! You should start a build thread on yours - I would like to see what you do with it.

It's been pretty slow moving on mine, just been really busy. Been doing a lot of planning and thinking...... and i think i have the seat & tank figured out. Now it's mostly getting parts and putting everything in motion.

Ok, due to my circumstances, a lot of the work on this bike is going to be "farmed out" so to speak. My neighbor will be smoothing out the tank for me, the seat will be bought (I hate fiberglass anyway), the rearsets will be fabbed by Mr Swagger but the linkages will need retrofitted in house, and tires + forks will most likely be done by Beatnic (but he doesn't know it yet). The motor that is in the frame right now runs just fine - will need a little tuning with the intake / exhaust changes but there's no reason to invest my limited time into that. I do have another motor just laying around with fewer miles on it that will be getting the polish, port, paint, carbs, etc., etc.. Once it's done (next spring or summer hopefully) I'll just do a quick motor swap and be done with it. So...... here's my little bit of progress:

This bike was notorious for leaving a small pool of oil but I just wrote it off for the longest time. Last week I got curious and unbolted the oil pan and found out somebody had screwed the drain bolt up. There was a small crack next to the threads that got JB welded and a heli coil where the old threads were. And here's where the spare motor comes to play. The spare pan was in great shape so it got stripped and polished. Here's the comparison shot:

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDEtMjAxMDA5MTYtMDgwOC5qcGc.jpg

Looks great! That original pan looked scary!!

man after seeing rock citys seats i do not think i will ever make a new one by hand again i feel ya on that !

Small update: ordered my seat from Airtech and did a little more polishing. I have a feeling that the motor from the parts bike is going to be all cleaned up before any real mods get done. I already soda blasted the heads and started pulling the rest of the motor apart. Here's a pic of the signal generator cover - I ground the Suzuki logo off and polished it up:

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDctMjAxMDA5MTktMDgwMS5qcGc.jpg

In the next couple weeks I will be doing more cleaning and polishing while i wait for my seat to come in......

Richie, I lost your number.. New phone, can you pm me

Back
Top Bottom