Suzuki GR650 - back to work...

The PO replaced the front shocks with Progressives, the rear shock with a ZX6R model, the master cylinder with one off a GSX, added a Powerlet outlet, put a Givi screen on and added handguards off a Triumph Tiger 800 (the last three for cold weather.) He included a additional rear seat pad (I mounted a top case to it) that can be swapped out with the original seat, removed the rear sets and passenger handrail. Took off the Suzuki mirrors and went the CRG-style bar end mirrors.

The PPO swapped out the original exhaust for a Scorpion high pipe.

It would appear they are infected ;D. They are your people. Ha!

I put Daytona bars on and am looking at Rox risers (I want a more upright riding position to reduce some "after-an-hour neck pain." Then, maybe, Givi sidecases. Any other changes would just screw it up.

That's all well and good, but the fun of working on an old bike is not replicated by working on the new one.

Big Rich said:
Independently wealthy, huh? Hmmmm.....either hit the lottery or marry into money? I don't play the lottery, and am already married, so I'm out. Guess I'll have to keep working on 30 year old bikes......

Ya know Rook, I can't say I'd blame you if you sold the GR. No matter what you do to it, it will always be compared to your SV..... Speaking of SV650's, the aftermarket for them is pretty big too. You could upgrade the suspension, brakes, tires & wheels, intake, exhaust, upholstery, lighting, add a fairing,........

Yep. Definite sickness!

I dig the bike man, Im seeing a few pop up here raising my real question of was it a good fun bike before the project began?

Absolutely. The stock "cruiser" handlebars are ridiculous, and the handlebar mounts are usually worn out after 30 years, which contributes to sloppy handling. Aside from that, the stock bike is great. It was voted "Best buy of the year" in 1983 by Motorcyclist magazine. Slightly heavier than Suzuki's GS450 on the spec sheet (in reality though, the GR isn't nearly as top heavy), but has the power of a 650 twin.

Basically: if you see one pop up near you and the motor is in good shape, buy it. You won't regret it. The motor is the only thing that is hard to find parts for.

Big Rich said:
Absolutely. The stock "cruiser" handlebars are ridiculous, and the handlebar mounts are usually worn out after 30 years, which contributes to sloppy handling. Aside from that, the stock bike is great. It was voted "Best buy of the year" in 1983 by Motorcyclist magazine. Slightly heavier than Suzuki's GS450 on the spec sheet (in reality though, the GR isn't nearly as top heavy), but has the power of a 650 twin.

Basically: if you see one pop up near you and the motor is in good shape, buy it. You won't regret it. The motor is the only thing that is hard to find parts for.

Big Rich nailed it. It is a fun bike. First thing that went were the buckhorn bars. I put Superbike bars on and liked the way it rode, but I'm getting old and wasn't comfortable on longer rides. Made me wanna' ride like a hooligan.

Ended up with dirt bike bars on it and a sit up and beg riding position. Very comfortable at sensible speeds, but a bit wide for higher speed runs. Turns me into a wind catcher.

You aren't far from Avon and it would make a great winter project--just sayin'. Could ride it home. :)

Hey Rich,I dug for hours and never found that sprocket.I could have sworn I kept it,but it appears I may have tossed it in the scrap. :-[

Not a problem Ben. Over winter I'll be hitting up Adidas for some random parts. Pretty good chance he has a sprocket or twolaying around......

Big Rich said:
Not a problem Ben. Over winter I'll be hitting up Adidas for some random parts. Pretty good chance he has a sprocket or twolaying around......

Cool.

Big Rich, I have a question- not sure if you can help?
I have a big end bearing issue on an 83 gr650 and have a spare parts engine
Am I able to replace out a Conrod & bearings without removing
Flywheel and removing transmission cluster?
I Just want access to big ends, but don't want to completely disassemble
Do you know if this can be done?
Regards
Wenbanger

My randition before dissasembly

Attachments

• 1467332_10202236004448829_1382613865_n.jpg
    1467332_10202236004448829_1382613865_n.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 696
Holy hell that looks sharp! I'm assuming the suspension & wheels are from a DR650?

I've done a little bit of work here and there on my GR, but nothing truly noteworthy. Had a local-ish member do some welding, but will show that in a future post.....

1987 Dr 600 suspention bolted right up to the gr, front and back,
Just had to weld pivots on the seat stays for the rear. Its gotta be
Ready for April 15

Thanx a lot Rich for sending me the link to this absolutely FANTASTIC buildthread :)
I know there are quite some time since the last post,but i just had to show my appreciation over this 5,5hrs of quality reading.
Have said it before,and saying it again: YOU are like suzukipedia!
I`ve learned a whole lot during this thread,and must say i`m a bit envious at ya,of the bike ofcourse,but the stronghold you guys have over there is incredible!!!!!
If any of you guys havent been thru these 67 pages; DO IT!!!!
Cheers Jorgen

Unfortunately, no. I've been tied up with other things for a while now. I have however, been collecting some parts for this project......

As far as the swingarm goes, I don't see any problems coming up from it. As long as I can get the drive chain to line up of course.

For anyone still following, I'm moving this build because I am starting over again (and for the last time, I swear!). But here is the link:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=61015.0

Back
Top Bottom