Brodie's Workshop

Yeah plan is to sell the boat and buy solar panels with the cash.

Also turns out you can't buy those Junction boxes in Australia.
So it looks like good ol conduit is the way.

Ohh and there is also a bloody big tree root right where I am digging the trench. Ohh and it is an Iron bark. So named because of the hardness of the wood.

Bloody trenching sucks.

aa25c95f96d2b0fada07d2b81a8e3030.jpg

e929fb16362cb025ee01553ed1ebada5.jpg

03a4fa3f9a24ebe53751dc92182407ae.jpg

d9edf2de1dcbd9b1db834d2e45d221bd.jpg

More to do yet. Had a few leaves fall on the slab. Still needs to be smoothed out and cornered. Smoko time right now. Got a bit of a workout thismorning barrowing half of the concrete.

So here is a bit of a size reference.

I was told today that the shed won't be built for another two weeks. So not happy about that since it was only ment to be a 5 week process.

Anyway there is a slight surface crack on the workshop portion of the slab. Well where the work bench will be, shouldn't be a problem as I will be using an epoxy floor coat once the shed has be built.

86c5334b6e671e4f14172d941a56b6d5.jpg

No flooding where I live. Too many rivers and wetlands for it to built up anywhere.

Ok so the shed will be delivered on the 2nd of June. Should go up by the 5th. So not to long of a wait...

I have begun collecting bench tools since I will now have a work bench. So far I have scored a drill press with a chuck that falls off, a scroll saw and an old twin cylinder compressor. Just need a band saw instead of the scroll saw and a decent hp bench grinder.

Anyone got any advice for concreteing between the slab and the fence. I planned to have it around 2 inches lower than the slab and to run some plastic sheet between the two. This will be to get rid of the left over fill and to stop any plants growing around the side and back of the shed. The neighbour has some evil bamboo.

Are you getting the crete trucked or mixing your own? My advice if your mixing your own borrow/rent a mixer if you don't have one already ;)

Well as it is only roughly 7m2 around the outside and I only plan on running it 50mm deep I am going to mix my own. Most likely will include a lot of gravel and a bit of sand to bulk up the mix.

Although, I have never concreted before (aside from helping my old man as a kid) so I have no idea it that mix will be strong enough. I don't plan to put any weight on it. Maybe just a few ferns under a shade sail for the missus.

It is roughly 500mm from the fence. So easy enough to squeeze through.

Concrete seems like a lot of work for weed suppression. Couldn't you just spray some weedkiller to get rid of what's there now, lay down some thick landscaping fabric, then gravel over it?

Brodie said:
Well as it is only roughly 7m2 around the outside and I only plan on running it 50mm deep I am going to mix my own. Most likely will include a lot of gravel and a bit of sand to bulk up the mix.

Although, I have never concreted before (aside from helping my old man as a kid) so I have no idea it that mix will be strong enough. I don't plan to put any weight on it. Maybe just a few ferns under a shade sail for the missus.

It is roughly 500mm from the fence. So easy enough to squeeze through.

hey nice work so far.maybe it would help to include some root prohibiting mats (sorry not my mother tongue) in your design.it is used on green roofs to restrics the plants from growing down to the insulation and doing harm.maybe you can make a trench (0,5m ) around the concrete plate,line it with that kind of mat and fill it up with gravel,its good as a drainage too,it will need a point where the water can flow to.

Put some scrap cardboard on the ground under the divider slab before you pour the concrete, that will for some reason kill any plant growth under the slab, it's going to be long and narrow so get a jointer tool and every 3-4 foot cut a joint like a sidewalk, if you use a short board to guide the tool you can keep em nice and straight, then when the mud cures and cracks you can just get some sealer for those joints to keep water out from under the concrete, You also should use an expansion joint between the shop floor and the divider slab, it's like a black 1"X4" fiber board soaked in asphalt or anything equivalent, and if your really handy you can cap that wit a 1/2" strip of 3/4 X 3/4 stock then remove it so you can fill with PL concrete sealer :eek:

For that small of an area, you could mix in a wheelbarrow, just add water before the sackcrete and after, use a hoe with holes for mixing mud. Hard work is good for the soul 8)

Yeah it seems like overkill to me as well. But the local council seems to think I need it....

I have thought about using weed matting and gravel but bamboo, being a monocot, has rhizomes that don't seem to care about growing under or above weed mats.

Thanks for the split join advice Tune-A, had not though of that. I was wondering about what to put between the workshop slab and the divider. I don't think typical "builder's mat" will do it.
Yeah I am thinking wheelbarrow will be the go. Nothing I have not done when helping my old man. Just the planning stage is new to me.

haircuttergirl said:
Hooray for wrench space. I'm following :)

Yep, can't wait. Might finally get somewhere with that GS Haha.

Also, once built and established it will be open to DTT peeps in need of a helping hand. Not that there are many around my area but offer is there.

Back
Top Bottom