"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Nearly forgot the King of Cool !!!! ::) ::)

Just sold it last week - even that had a diesel - albeit a 2.2 Merc lump.

Attachments

• s320.jpg
    s320.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 648
  • pt wheels 006.jpg
    pt wheels 006.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 184
The electrics undertray - so skillfully crafted [ ::) ?? ] is now redundant as I need the space for the fuel cell. We'll make patterns up and see what capacity we get, but it looks like around 3 gallons [ imp ]. The electrics and other squitter will now live under the dummy Manx tank. Repositioning the fuel cell means I'll be able to site the Brass Monza filler Goldie oil tank style up through the front of the seat. The Monza cap is another of those items that just HAS to be used - and of course, needs to be seen. 8)

Attachments

• KZ750 sept 19th 2015 005.jpg
    KZ750 sept 19th 2015 005.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 189
And maybe not . ;D................... the rear wheel is out now so we have better access to that area under the electrics tray.

Looks like we might be able to squeeze 2.5 - 3 gallon [ imperial ] fuel cell in there AND retain the electrics tray.

Cardboard and gaffer tape at the ready.

When we measured up - yes we can get almost 3 gall [ imp ] capacity under the electrics tray.

I got 3 quotes from UK based companies to make the tank measuring 8.5" x 8.5" x 10" with all the relevant fittings, filler etc.
Quotes were £135.00, £145.00 and an eye watering £175 !!!!!! :eek:

Then Chinabay [ where else ] came to the rescue - off the shelf polished alloy tank with ALL the fittings 8.25" x 8.5" x 10" [ 2.5 imp. gallons ] - £56 DELIVERED. Ordered today [ 19th. Jan ], be interesting to see when it arrives.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 153
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 165
I just re-read the regs ......... and an underframe fuel tank IS legal ::) within the regs - provided it's protected. I was planning on having a belly fairing anyway...... choices.

After some delays I'm finally off "up north" to collect my engine for the Glemseck project this weekend. That also includes my twin plug head - can't wait ! ;D

Oh boy ... along with my recent good health news - I now have my Glemseck donor engine [ blower / nitrous ] AND my twin plug head ! I also collected a spare exhaust camshaft to be modified [ rev counter drive cut off ] to use on the intake position. This gives more lift without affecting the overlap. Cheap horsepower !

Now then - any of my US / Canadian cousins got some [ 2 ] spare fogger nozzles sitting in the garage doing nothing ?

I just ordered a Superbike belly pan from my good mate Spike at Ragged Edge Racing [ www.raggededgeracing.com ] here in the UK. Tell Spike TJ sent you.That will satisfy the regs as "protection" for the underframe fuel cell. That was also the source for my top fairing.

beachcomber said:
Oh boy ... along with my recent good health news - I now have my Glemseck donor engine [ blower / nitrous ] AND my twin plug head ! I also collected a spare exhaust camshaft to be modified [ rev counter drive cut off ] to use on the intake position. This gives more lift without affecting the overlap. Cheap horsepower !

I didn't know about that mod for the intake. More info?

CC - THE EXHAUST HAS GREATER LIFT. Just remove the rev counter drive and Robert's your pater's sibling.

Just feast your eyes on this folks. It's living on my coffee table for the time being !

Attachments

• KZ750 sept 2017 007.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 007.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 168
  • KZ750 sept 2017 004.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 004.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 145
Nice! And yes I'd love to see the underside as well. I'll probably do something along the same lines with a GPZ-head for a Z1000J-engine.

yes - underside pix coming up - just re-charging camera as we speak.

Time for blueprinting now. Nothing has been touched in the combustion chamber yet. With a blower polishing etc. doesn't really have any benefits for the amount of work involved, so it will just be careful matching and removal of any obvious "lumps". I always like to keep a full valve contact with blowers to aid cooling, so I won't be into a 3 angle valve job. There is just enough room for the second plug ! If I do another, I'll possibly go with a smaller dia. plug.

Vikings are there to guard !!!!

The next time you see this view - it will be shiny !!! ;)

Attachments

• KZ750 sept 2017 013.jpg
    KZ750 sept 2017 013.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 161
Uncharted territory ::).................. what do we think guys ?

The second plug .... short reach plug so the threads / body on the inside [ nearest crown ] are level with the opening where it enters combustion chamber and remove / smooth out the threads on the other side .... or - what ?? ???

beachcomber said:
Uncharted territory ::).................. what do we think guys ?

The second plug .... short reach plug so the threads / body on the inside [ nearest crown ] are level with the opening where it enters combustion chamber and remove / smooth out the threads on the other side .... or - what ?? ???

Dual plugged shovelheads are similiar. One plug is longer than the other. Short reach plug on the second hole.

You never want the sparkplug threads to protrude beyonde the hole, so if that's only got depth for a short one, then that's the one to use.

Cheers,
Greg

der_nanno said:
You never want the sparkplug threads to protrude beyonde the hole, so if that's only got depth for a short one, then that's the one to use.

Cheers,
Greg

yes, that was my thoughts Greg - nice for confirmation ! I'll "lose" the threads the other side where it's longer to get rid of potential "hot spots".

The belly pan finally arrived [ snowed in ! ::) ] and I got the fuel cell mocked up. Works out at 2.144 Imp gallons with a simple shape. Also room for the battery and or some electrics - the fuel pump is one obvious candidate. Just need to offer it all up to the rolling [ almost ] chassis as POC. The fuel fill pipe will come up behind the engine and there'll be a cut-out in the seat for access - central oil tank style.

Not long now before my pal is off to the US to work on his property - so I need to get as much done as possible before he goes. I've commissioned a set of +20% stronger clutch springs - see what they come out at price wise. Oh yes and the wire is a far better quality than the OEM jobbies. ;)

Attachments

• belly pan tank 001.jpg
    belly pan tank 001.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 158
  • belly pan tank 005.jpg
    belly pan tank 005.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 168
First POC fitting. 8) The fairing will go back 3" [ axle stands in the way ! ::) ] and the fuel cell will be 3" longer giving me 2.5 imp gallons. Fuel filler tube will go at the back of the engine and come out in the front seat area - like central oil tank filler caps on Manx, Dommie and Gold Star. There WILL be a fuel spill funnel feeding back to the tank as the battery will still probably go under the seat. If there's enough room - it might fit in the belly fairing.

The fuel pump will go in the front section and the whole thing will be modded cosmetically to make it "right".

Attachments

• IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 592
  • norton-88-500cc-cafe-racer-for-sale.jpg
    norton-88-500cc-cafe-racer-for-sale.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 161
Back
Top Bottom