'81 CX500...Round 2?

Re: '81 CX500...project 'shiny tank'

Slice said:
Really cool tank polish job... I have a spare tank sitting in the basement and am considering going down this road!
So you just stripped it, polished it and por15'd it? Thats it?
You can see my tank in my build, it has side covers and rubbers but the spare is currently red and I wanted to get it to a nice lusterous shine... I may go down the road of trying your technique.
Keep up the cool work, im a fan of the build! Its looking good!

-Slice

Polishing the tank isn't that difficult, just take a lot of patience. I started by chemical stripping the paint. Then, using an electric palm sander (1/4 sheet size), I just started with 220 (to get out the deeper scratches), then worked my way up the grits until I got to about 2000 or 2500 grit (just go up to the highest you can find...which is about 3000 grit). So, 220, 320, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. The palm sander was critical...and even with the palm sander, i probably spent a good 10 hours total (over the span of a few days). I haven't put the POR15 GlistenPC yet.

More like "Project Patience", holy sh*t! I thought about polishing my comstars, and other aluminum things, I will more than likely have everything coated though, time is money haha. Coating is going to cost me a lot, but I'm not a huge fan of chrome/shiny myself, which kind of contradicts the fact that I wanted to polish my tank in the first place... but oh well. I do love the way the tank turned out, I can only imagine what the POR15 will do for it. And I am like you as well, I plan on keeping mine for a long long time, they say these engines are generally good for atleast 100k miles, lets see haha.

i need a deadline...i'm hoping for a big push during these next couple weeks before New Year. A couple motivations: 1) I haven't ridden in a few months and am desperate to get on a bike again, 2) my neighbor has a '77 KZ1000 he's selling and asked me...but i told myself no more projects until I get this CX done...i'm itching to do something of a 'vintage superbike'.

I looked over my list of "to do's" and it doesn't seem too long at this stage. time to put in some long hours in the garage.

Good plan!

I'd like to see photo's of this bike when it's finished and I'm a very impatient person ;)

Re: '81 CX500...97% done

I just picked up my seat from the upholsterer. Not bad at all and very reasonable price.

Rolled her out to take a few shots. Only a couple things left (Bleed brakes, properly bolt down seat, mount brake/tail light and license plate, drop the front just a bit)

DSC_0276.JPG

DSC_0283.JPG

DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0311.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

wow man i have to be honest that seat padding does not flow with the rest of the bike just too much there, looks like a couch cussion laid on your seat... can they shave it and/or shape it any more to match the seat? there is alot of over hang there

Cool bike. Love the tank and the frame color.

It only matters what you like, but I have to agree with Joe on the seat.

I dig the seat, it adds some balance to the bike for me. If the seat were trimed inside of that hump or tight to it, you would have far less visual mass on the back end of the bike, making it look unbalanced.

maybe it is the angle the bike stance has, have you thought about lowering the front end so that the bike frame rails (in this case botom of the motor) are level with the ground??

GoBears0305 said:
Rolled her out to take a few shots. Only a couple things left (Bleed brakes, properly bolt down seat, mount brake/tail light and license plate, drop the front just a bit)

Last line there Joe, he is planning on dropping the front.

The natural line of the CX 500 standard gas tank (on the bottom) is upward sloping, rear to front. That coupled with the big black 19" front tire and no fender (as yet) and the 16" rear tire gives the bike a forward visual bias. The engine looks level to my eye. I also have a CX 500 semi-cafe, I welded in a 1" lift at the rear of the fuel tank mounting point to level the tank (no, I don't have a fuel pickup problem) The seat looks good IMO. Go Bears, See you on the CX board.
Cheers, 50gary

Love it!!!!!!

But, alwauys a but ;), I would go for a CX500Z/A or B rear wheel. The C rear wheel might have a fatter tire, but I think a larger rear wheel would look better. There are even some people who mamanged to make spoked wheels for a CX. That would fit so nice on your cafe!!

Anyway: Love it!!

Thanks for all the feedback and positive comments! Really appreciate it! This project has been slow and draining (but very rewarding) so it's nice for it to be coming to an end (kinda...never really ends).

As far as the seat is concerned, I'll admit that I thought it was a bit bulky too when I first got it, but the more I look at it, the better it looks (and damn is it comfy!). Dropping the front about 1 1/2 inches or so should help with the overall visual stance.

miob said:
But, alwauys a but ;) , I would go for a CX500Z/A or B rear wheel. The C rear wheel might have a fatter tire, but I think a larger rear wheel would look better. There are even some people who mamanged to make spoked wheels for a CX. That would fit so nice on your cafe!!

I thought about the 18in rear. I couldn't find any locally (only Australia...I'm in California), and $$ was an issue at the time. Spoked wheels would have been AWESOME! I really like the look of spoked wheels...so my next project is actually a '77 KZ1000 that my neighbor offered to me super cheap (it needs a lot of work).

katana1074 said:
Fantastic bike!!!!

Do you know how much weight it has lost ?

// Roger

Thanks! As far as weight loss, I'm not sure exactly. I really wish I weighed everything that I took off, or took a "Before" weight. I'd estimate at least 130lbs?
Here's a list of everything that came off and a guestimate on weight:
Windjammer fairing - 30lbs
Luggage racks - 30lbs
Crash bars - 10lbs
Center stand - 10lbs
Misc. plastic and metal parts - 20lbs
Old exhaust system (i.e. 2 Harley Sporster mufflers, collector box, and double-walled pipes) - 30lbs (vs about 10lbs for the 2-1 exhaust that's on there now)

The bike should weigh about 400lbs now (wet).

On the rear welded in plate, how is the tire clearance in full suspension compression? On my CX500 I made a "bridge" at that point and followed the contour of the original inner plastic fender that I also cut off at the shock mounts. The "bridge" as I call it is welded in steel to tie the shock towers together and allow for original suspension travel. Just wondering?
Cheers, 50gary

Back
Top Bottom