RD250 Street Tracker

Here's a teaser shot ;D ~Stout

102_1355.jpg

Well, I got it running but I need to dial the jetting in... unfortunately the camera broke a few weeks ago and we haven't gotten it fixed yet (which is why I haven't posted any pictures lately). I'll get something up here as soon as I can. ~stout

We finally got a new camera yesterday AND the bike is almost done. I would still like to drop the main jet one size but I only have one jet. Anyway, here are some pics of how it looks; thanks for being patient! ~stout

DSCN0047.jpg

DSCN0048.jpg

DSCN0049.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

so i keep coming back to this bike, and now my 250 is jealous and nagging me to make it a tracker. thanks.

Mann!!! That thing looks great. I'm trying to finish up my R5 and need exhaust. can you talk to me about that set up? Where'd you get it what did it set you back etc.??

Appreciate the help.

Nice looking bike.

Those exhausts look like they are way to short, but that may be an optical illusion. In fact they look shorter than a TZ250G which revved to 12,000. An RD motor can't rev anywhere close to that without failing catastrophically, but maybe that isn't an issue if it's not going to do a lot of miles.

Which software did you use for the pipe design, or is it more of a form over function issue?

I have to say that this bike is making me re-think the desing of my R5 rear end. I Added a rear hoop with a flat brat style seat and it looks great but I've had clearance issues with the tire hitting the seat. I thought about moving the shock mounts but opted for longer shocks which do solve the clearance issue but create an issue with the stock exhaust being in the way of the swing arm travel. one thing after the other. If I went with a seat configuration similar to this it would eliminate all those issues, though I don't think the stock exhaust would look as good with the shorter seat pan. Yikes, its always something.

Talk to us about that exhaust. Teazer raises some good points, I'd like to hear your take.

I just went back and re-read the whole thread but the pics are down on the first couple pages so I can't see the exhaust in progress shots. sounds like you made this exhaust though. If it works out for you would you be willing to build another for a '72 R5 350? Just asking

To start with, thanks for all of the compliments!

As for the pipes, I made them using parts of the original exhaust, some 18GA steel, and parts of the mufflers I used on my superhawk. Unfortunately I didn't have any of the required dimensions (port timing, port length, etc.) needed to actually calculate the size/shape of the pipes correctly so I built them based on my past experience with 2 strokes (mainly four wheelers and snowmobiles) while trying to make them look right tucked under the bike. I am sure they are not ideal for making maximum hp or torque; but I don't plan on racing it or riding it any great distance either.

Of course if they don't work out for some reason, I can always change them, one of the great things about owning a welder :) . I'm working on getting the jetting and timing dialed in though and it is getting close, so pretty sure they'll work out.

Diesel, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks
~stout

HOLLY SLAP STICK AND PATCHOULI OIL SOAK HIPPIES.... THAT BIKE LOOKS HOT!!
Nice job man!!! love that tail/taillight section.. turned out really nice!

looks fast sitting still. =)

Back
Top Bottom