82 GS450E Scrambler from Aus - Done!

Re: 82 Suzuki GS450E Scrambler from Aus

Ok time for a stupid forum question...

I've noticed you guys updating the thread title when you post, but the only thing I see is changing the subject of the reply.

Care to share? Would love my thread to have an updated title with indicated progress like yours...

Yup- Crescent is right. Go to the very first post and click "modify". Change the title and save it- and you're golden.

peteGS said:
Ok, fork brace is very close, just need to drill mounting holes and figure how to bend it properly.
This is how I was going to bend but it won't work as upwards pressure from me isn't going to make it conform to the shape of the pipe:

IMG_3153.jpg

I'm going to try to set something up with a gap that I can "pull" the pipe down onto the plate with the clamps so it can force it to the shape of the pipe.

I really want to get this right first time, don't want to make another one as my wrist will kill me and possibly drop off from all the hacksawing...
ummm buy a jigsaw, from Bunnings they sell for about 20-30 and will save you hours

Thanks Crescent and Rich, didn't know you could do that over here... can't do that on the GSR, so will give that a shot shortly.

Squeak: that has to be a the biggest "der" moment for a while! We have a jigsaw, all I would've needed to do was pick up some metal blades as we only have wood blades at the moment... geeez...

Well the fork brace/mudguard mount is pretty much done and I didn't screw it up too badly either!

Taped a file to the portable work bench to lever the C clamp from and away I went.

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

I need to elongate the mounting holes a little as my measurement was out by about 1mm or so too wide, and it looks a little lopsided there partly because it's not bolted up tight and partly because the front tyre is flat and has come off the bead so is out of shape.

Got the front guard mocked up on it and it fits ok too:

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

I have to get the heat gun onto it and shrink the sides in a little and cut some of the sides out to match the cut outs in the brace, but other than that it should be pretty easy to mount.

Re: 82 Suzuki GS450E Scrambler from Aus - Fork brace done, didn't screw up too bad..

Sorry Pete- been busy the past couple days. That brace looks really nice!

Re: 82 Suzuki GS450E Scrambler from Aus - Fork brace done, didn't screw up too bad..

dtDoug said:
Greetings Pete,
I found a link that discussed the hei mod. The author indicated that the 4 pin hei module has dwell compensation built in where the 7 pin does not. Could this possibly be the source of your timing issue?
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=53773.msg576519#msg576519

Cheers Doug, and yes quite possibly.

I've had email communications with Lou D (the guy who's site the links in there point to) and he also mentioned the 7 pin module to me at some point during our conversation.

There's so much info around on those modules and so many different ways you can influence the dwell etc. that it gets quite overwhelming.

I've taken a step back from it for the moment to regroup as I was getting far too frustrated and getting nowhere fast. I don't see any 7 pin modules on fleabay at the moment either to get an idea of what they're worth...

It's also looking like another member on the GSR *may* be onto a solution as her dad is doing one up for her and it sounded like he got it to do something like a good idle yesterday...

I'm also working on a plan B that may become my plan A, but I can't reveal that one just yet...

Managed to get my front guard somewhat mounted tonight too, just need to add an extra bolt either side to stop it flopping left/right and it'll be sweet. Then I can work out trimming the front and rear and it'll be ready for paint.

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

I don't think I'll have to trim as much off the rear as I thought either:

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

And man Australia Post really p*&s me off... waiting on a parcel that was posted registered post last Friday and has a tracking number, but their site constantly just reports "No events" for that tracking number, so either it hasn't even left NSW yet or their system sucks and it won't update until it's arrived at the PO Box and collected by me...

Just curious- have you looked at maybe using the wiring from a GS500? I don't recall hearing anything about it (I'll admit, I probably missed it though). They should be much more plentiful, and it's essentially the same engine.

Nah haven't thought of using anything that modern at all actually.

I know from 83 onwards they use electronic advance, so that means different signal generator, rotor, etc. as well and I don't know how "bolt in" they all are.

Plan B should be a winner... but I gotta keep it under my hat for the moment...

Big Rich said:
Sorry Pete- been busy the past couple days. That brace looks really nice!

Missed this reply before... thanks Rich :D

I'm surprised it turned out so well actually. Not perfect, but good enough and the little bits that aren't quite right are covered by the guard.

I've yet to see if it's actually worthwhile as a brace as such, but as a mudguard mount it does the job... gonna give it a brushed finish too, not too shiny!

That's true. If you need pics of the gs500's signal generator, there are tons of them on the GSTwins site- especially in their Wiki pages.

Good point, I haven't looked on the GS Twins site for years as I discovered most of it was irrelevant to the 450 and I was getting much better success on the GSR.

On another note altogether, finally just got to order my stuff from Boulevard including a fuel tap, so should be here in a couple of weeks I hope.

Ok, so I'm doing plan B for my ignition woes, but I do plan to go back and revisit the HEI route because it should work...

I've actually had this underway for a couple of weeks but haven't said anything as I had no idea what the chances of success were, and now I know they look real good.

So, plan B:

IMG_3110.jpg

The DS3-3C is actually for the earlier 400 twins with points, but after a long email conversation with the Dynatek guys I reckon it should work in the 450. The only difference I could see was the advance curve was slightly different, but given that the Dynatek rotor uses the stock advance weights, that won't change.

Note though that this is something I'm doing off my own bat, the Dynatek guys aren't officially saying this is compatible with the 450's at this point in time, so don't go saying I told you it was :p

The other issue is the 400's don't have the oil pressure switch under the signal generator plate like the 450's do, but that's turned out to be no dramas, although I will probably grind a mm or 2 off that edge of the plate:

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

The other issue is that the rotor is a bit shorter than the stock rotor, so my mate machined a brass spacer for me:

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

So it now sits in well, except the spacer's something like 0.005" too thick going by my micrometer which is binding up the advance mechanism, so I need to sand that back a bit:

IMG_3166.jpg

I got some of the wiring started too, and to be able to continue to use the stock coils as well as the Dyna coils I had to stick some new connectors in as I can't find a source for the OEM ones anywhere. Even Vintage Connections don't have them.

IMG_3201.jpg

These leads will take the 12v feed from the harness to the coils:

IMG_3202.jpg

And got the connectors on the wiring from the modules:

IMG_3203.jpg

So, what's left to do wiring wise is I need to make up a lead for the oil pressure switch as the existing one is part of the signal generator wiring.

I plan on putting some bullet connectors in up where it goes off to the gauges so I can once again return to the signal generator wiring for the HEI stuff.

Other than that, it's sand back the spacer a little and mount the coils, then I can do the static timing and it'll be ready to rock and roll...

Re: 82 Suzuki GS450E Scrambler from Aus - Dynatek Time and Suspension is here

Aside from that, got a package yesterday...

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

Once I get them in, my dodgy stock shocks will no longer insult that exhaust :D

And front mudguard is nearly mounted right, just screwed up the left hand mounting hole on the front of the brace, so that'll be an easy fix:

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

Dyna ignition AND Ikon suspension?! DAMN!!!
You terminate wires like a Pro... very nice 8)
I am so jealous!!!

Hoosier Daddy said:
Dyna ignition AND Ikon suspension?! DAMN!!!
You terminate wires like a Pro... very nice 8)
I am so jealous!!!

Cheers mate! Dunno about like a pro though, they just give you good stuff in the kit to make it easy. Bit bummed about using such thick wire for the jumper leads there but I'll have to make do with some electrical tape or something for insulation.

And I've wanted a set of Koni's for years... of course now I have to buy Ikons but I have 'em... I'm tellin' ya I want this thing on the road by Christmas, so I'll ante up the cash when I need to... after all, isn't that what 55 day interest free credit cards are for? ;)

And I got one little thing done tonight too:

IMG_3210.jpg

Straightened the front guard...

Whoa man! I'm excited about this Pete! Shame about having to go to plan B, but at least plan B wasn't junk the whole project.

Good job on the guard too!

Back
Top Bottom