Brat-ish build: '81 KZ-440B

Well I put the new speedo on today. I used scotch-brite pads to brush down the chrome to a polished aluminum look. I think it adds nice contrast to the all black. Overall i'm really happy with it.

It's off to the side like that until I figure out a way to mount my ignition switch on the vertical frame tube under the tank.

I kind of like the a-symmetrical look it has where it's at. What's next- the seat? Have to get some riding shots pretty soon too.

Matt

Wahoo650 said:
I kind of like the a-symmetrical look it has where it's at. What's next- the seat? Have to get some riding shots pretty soon too.

Matt

Yea the current position of the speedo is kinda growing on me too.

Yea i suppose the seat will be next. But if I go with the pre-made seat and extras from Dime City, it'll probably cost me a total of 300 bucks for the seat, pan, and hoop.

Maybe i'll make one out of a skateboard deck or something. My brother is coming to visit from PA in another month, maybe i'll tell him to bring his welder so we can weld a hoop on.

Just to keep the thread alive, i'll post a current pic of the bike. It's still running great and i'm trying to beat the Cleveland heat!

Good to see you're still hangin in there! Got to ride soon, you signed up for the Cleveland Mods vs Rockers yet? I'm in. Still working crazy hours and a lot of Saturdays. Keep in touch, a lot of events coming up.

Matt

FINALLY re-did the seat. I laid it down around a gravel filled turn mid-summer, so replacing the handlebars and some other things gave me motivation to tackle the seat as well.

Without a welder handy, I rode over to Matt's (Wahoo650) place where we used his nice little mig and wisdom that comes with age (ha). We cutoff all the old brackets and mounts for the old seat and welded crossbars on. See if you catch something odd in the first picture that's a hint of what's to come....

I bought a rear-hoop with the same diameter as my frame from ebay for cheaper than Dime City. Some guy makes them to order. We matched the angle of that with the angle of the $5 skateboard deck I bought from walmart.

I drilled holes through the board and crossbars and used 1/4" carriage bolts with JB Weld smeared on top of them so they won't spin. Wahoo and I fab'd up a quick and easy mount for the LED rear tail light. The rear-most crossbar is 3 inches long on each side because I hammered it down over the frame to hang down as new signal mounts. Done.

Then I took it to a shoe repair shop in Cleveland where I had it upholstered to look exactly like the seat off Dime City...but for much cheaper haha. Matt had some ~1/2" foam lying around and I used a single layer of that under the vinyl. It's not "comfortable", but it sure does look good haha.

And some pics of the finished product....

Let me know what you guys think! Here's a quick pics of the bike last October, totally stock. Just as a reference for where I started at.

Re: Brat-ish build: '81 KZ-440B

Seat turned out great.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Glad I could help on it. Turned out pretty good if i do say so myself! Finally met the brand new neighbor so I could explain the welding grinding- sparks everywhere that night- Ha! They were pretty cool about it.

Im working on doing this same seat pan. Any idea where you got the rear hoop as well as the sizez for it?

mnkjoe, i'll email you a response directly, but the short of it is that I got the hoop off ebay for a lot cheaper than dime city or any other place online.

for every one else here is a current pic:

Back
Top Bottom