KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

The Jimbonaut said:
My dear old Mum calls me up and says she wants to get me something nice for my birthday - is there anything I really need? Quick trip up the highway 20 later and the KLR is now kitted out with these -

ZbZzCGe.jpg

uW6o6Sg.jpg

Pro Taper ATV high bend, the difference is night and day. I can't put risers on as one of the bar clamp threads is a bit skewed (there's a TimeSert in there but the angle isn't perfect) and so I wanted a taller (and wider) set of bars. These are perfect and the difference they make to the bike and the ride is remarkable. So much more comfortable and ergonomic, not to mention some new Biltwell kung-fu grips (oxblood, FTW) which definitely don't hurt either.

Cheers Mum ;D

While I was at it I figured it was a good time to try and sort out the intermittent starter button issue I had. Sometimes the button fires the bike right up, sometimes I have to whale away at the button/bars until I get a good connection. Not a cool-looking getaway by any means. Dismantled the starter button assembly, gave the contacts a sand and cleaned everything up (again) but still no dice. Figured it had to be something else but as i'd already deleted the kick stand cut-off switch I was running out of ideas. After much head-scratching I discovered it was the small switch in the clutch lever - there's another contact switch in there and I found that I'd forgotten to install the tiny spring under one of the contacts, meaning it only sometimes had good contact with the switch. Miraculously I'd found a tiny spring in the garage months ago and held onto it thinking it looked like it came out of something significant - now it's back where it should be the bikes fires up first time every time.

Oh, my my, oh, hell yes, honey put on that party dress.
Those damn kung fu grips lasted max six months for me..

Anyone have any suggestions about the rich idle? Might it be as simple a fix as dialling down the pilot screw?

The Jimbonaut said:
Anyone have any suggestions about the rich idle? Might it be as simple a fix as dialling down the pilot screw?

Play with the idle screw when the engines nice and warm. Try some plug chops at 1/4 throttle and you may need to go down a size or two on the pilot. But I'm no expert.

I'll do that mate - I have the screw at three turns out at the moment I think - that's the suggested DynoJet setting. Although I've pulled all the DynoJet stuff out of the carb and switched everything back to stock, the screw may still be at the suggested DynoJet position. I'll dial it down and see what gives.

The Jimbonaut said:
But what a six months! 8)
Yea they were really nice to begin with! Think i rode around too much with greasy hands(triumph chop) so if you keep them clean they might last better, i ended up with rubber peeling off in rings..

Woke up, decided the front beak needed rhinoplasty so out came the dremel...

Zbdrw4Q.jpg

ECwBq30.jpg

Job done. Beak - truncated.

After a ride after the rain did I find out the hard way I’d trimmed maybe a little too much off the fender? Perhaps.

Regrets? Not yet.

Dirty helmet visor? Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Whip up a slide/clamp on extension you can stash on the bike for rainy days. Best of both worlds then, look rad in the dry, stay dry in the wet.

Maritime said:
Whip up a slide/clamp on extension you can stash on the bike for rainy days. Best of both worlds then, look rad in the dry, stay dry in the wet.
+1 great call

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is a great idea Mike - I kept the part I chopped off (although now graffiti'd and nailed to a shelf in the garage) and will put my thinking cap on. Love me a fix-it

I wish I could find a pic, but Mr. E's XL600r has the end of his front fender sewn on with zip ties. I actually love the way it looks. The PO drilled a succession of holes on both sides of the split and made what looks like a sort of baseball stitch to piece it together. The clasp ends are underneath the fender, out of view. I'm sure there are other materials to use, but green ones may look cool enough.

This is super photo shop work but something like this with the old lip or another bit. Stop, slip on, tighten the set screw/ thumb screw clamps under fender

1732-040918111537.jpeg

Dude. Photoshop skillz to pay the billz

Good plan - I’ll see what I can rustle up and will report back. If it looks half as good as your drawing I’m in business

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

6 strips of aluminum, some set screws, bolt or rivet the alloy top and bottom, tap holes on under strip to tighten down on underside and you should be gtg. That should store under the seat or even at home to throw on for trips or rainy days. ALso that should leave any marks only on the underside, plastidip the alloy to protect the fender and grip it as well.

You could just spend $20 - $50 on Ebay and replace the fender altogether. They make shorter 2-piece "supermoto" type fenders for these in the matching green.

Good plan Mike, I'll have a muck about later today if I have a minute and see what I come up with.

That's not an awful idea Irk but this fender already is a replacement fender, from a KLX. I'm not crazy about the supermoto style fender design - I prefer the more squared-off look, plus I spent a bunch of time making a stainless steel inlay that fits nicely into it.

Gonna fabricate my way out of this, hell or high water.

(Any chance I get to use the word fabricate I'm taking it).

I like the look you got with the shortening but get why sometimes longer would be better so the removable bit solves both. I know Irk said to buy a new one but then you still have a short front and would need something in the rain or mud.

This is what I would use.

images

Re: KLR You Experienced? Not really.

Not exactly tropical yet here in Montreal but, well, screw it. The riding season's short enough as it is, so this green meanie got its first shakedown of the year yesterday. Brakes a bit mushy so they got bled and adjusted, stopping on a dime again. There was (and in fact had been for most of last season too) a fairly strong smell of gas from the exhaust, and a fairly sooty looking spark plug too. I took a punt with the pilot screw and turned it in about a half a turn which seemed to take the edge off the stink considerably.

Took it out again today for a tear around town before it started pissing down, pulled over in a car park at the top of Mount Royal and gave the thing some throttle - plumes of black smoke out the can at WOT. Plumes. Exhaust looks pretty clean at idle, really clean at half throttle but black as a stack of black cats in a coal mine at wide-open. I really want to get this carb dialled in myself - any ideas on what would/should be the first thing to do?

To recap -

- Over-bored to 685cc
- stock needle and jets (had the dynojet kit installed but the bike ran like shite with it)
- Lexx exhaust
- Airbox modded (snorkel pulled - more airflow)

I know it's something in the carb that needs tweaking but I'm not sure where to start.

Oh, and Plasti-Dip FTW. Grey this time, with green numbers. Hellll yes.

woKCmq0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom