Permatex the Right Stuff Gasket Maker?

Redcon

Wasn't sure if this is where this should go, but has anyone ever used this stuff?

Was thinking it might be good for non-cylinder head-gasket gaskets (crankcase gaskets, head gaskets, etc)?

Anyone have any idea?

I didn't use that exact one... but I used a similar one on my side covers and it is holding up just fine.

I even used it on my float bowls (out of desperation) which it's not made for and it worked.

DO NOT use permatex silacone on a small engine like motorcycles. :eek:
Use thre bond,yamaha bond,1194, all the same stuff.
It comes in a tube about the same size as permatex,it looks and acts like a thick grey paint.
apply a thin layer about 1/16" thick on the mating surfaces.
I use the permatex ultra black on cars(along with ultra copper on headers).
To big of a chance of a glob of silicone breaking loose and pluging an oil passage,1194 does not glob up and stays stuck to what ever it is stuck to. 8)

Also the anerobics like permatex 518 and 515. Don't set up till you bolt 'em together, then set up instantly. No waiting times or time windows. We use this stuff by the caulking gun tube in our shop, in heavy industrial. No gaskets, no leaks.

Right Stuff is feckin tits! Just about my whole bike is sealed with it. no problems, no spots on the floor. its my new best friend. I used to do the whole, permatex black, blue, green, pink, etc for whatever the package said it was for, but now its just this stuff unless its headers. still have to use copper for that.

So I finally tried this stuff today for the first time today, it sure is messy!

One thing I couldn't get the hang of was getting a consistent amount of Stuff out of the nozzle to make a good even line. And, things got super messy when I tried to circle around bolt holes.

I used it to seal my valve cover after checking tappet clearance. I'm a little sketched out by the thought of the run off (lack of a better way to say that) coming off inside the valve cover, whats it do when it gets in my valves? ???

We'll see how my messy first attempt holds out when I run the bike for more than ten minutes.

Redcon said:
So I finally tried this stuff today for the first time today, it sure is messy!

One thing I couldn't get the hang of was getting a consistent amount of Stuff out of the nozzle to make a good even line. And, things got super messy when I tried to circle around bolt holes.

I used it to seal my valve cover after checking tappet clearance. I'm a little sketched out by the thought of the run off (lack of a better way to say that) coming off inside the valve cover, whats it do when it gets in my valves? ???

We'll see how my messy first attempt holds out when I run the bike for more than ten minutes.

use your finger to spread
silicone should be applied the same way
do not apply a bead,but a thick film

huh..well, too late for that. I wish that would have been the directions on the can.

Anyways, should I open the thing back up and clean/do-over?

Redcon: Hate to tell you but you probably ought to open it up and start over with less product.

Murphy's Law Corollary 678

If there are any appreciable beads of sealant showing inside the covers be assured that eventually they will break off at the most inopportune moment and plug the most important passage in the engine, no matter where it happens to be. It will occurr in the most inaccessible place and do more damage than you want to find out about to either: the smallest but most expensive and difficult to extract part or; the only part on your entire your bike that can't be replaced. Whichever is the most inconvienient!!!

Back
Top Bottom