Easy-to-make Soda Blaster Instructions

ridesolo

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Folks, I got this URL in a message from the Salvage Yard Yahoo Group. I thought you all might like to see it; pretty cheap, easy, and effective. Good luck, Cory

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

I know this isn't technically a "mod" but it's cheap and pretty awesome. I make a motion that someone moves this to the under $50 mods thread.

i made a set up it worked great no pics sorry camera got jacked i'll see if i could do some justice with my phone. i was wondering if anyone knows could i use this process on the engine block at alla?

chris73cb175 said:
i made a set up it worked great no pics sorry camera got jacked i'll see if i could do some justice with my phone. i was wondering if anyone knows could i use this process on the engine block at alla?

Don't know why you couldn't. The key, as with all such blasting-types of processes, is to be able to clean up all of the excess blasting media. The ability to water clean up this stuff makes it nice. I have heard of a movement in the hot rodding community to do soda blasting on everything from body panels to small parts, but they may use a different, more abrasive soda or higher pressure or something else to accomplish the task. Someone I know has some guys come to his shop and do a demo; he was pretty impressed.

very true. i blasted it last night i'll try and get some pictures up tonight when i get home. it came out good. very easy process. i love the $50 mod thread.

Sorry for the threadomancy, but I just tried this method to clean the nasty carbs on my CM400 and it is the absolute shit! I wish I had known about it sooner, it would have saved me so much hard work over the years.

These carbs were on a bike that was sitting for approx 20yrs, had lots of varnish and aluminum oxidation all over them. I had tried carb cleaner and washing them in soapy water with a brush, but it didn't work half as well as I'd have liked.

Half a box of baking soda later and they're nice and clean.

4370740486_4c4ec4dc87_b.jpg

The best thing is you can clean in all those hard to reach places...

4369990157_ac4db4fe48_b.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

I made one out of a transparent tote and I blasted my brake reservoir and calipers. I was able to just leave the seals in the calipers as the soda doesn't harm the rubber.

Damn that MC came out great... It is good to know this works so well... besides the bolts, those carbs almost look brand new!

You can buy baking soda designed for blasting at harborfreight but it comes in huge bags. But the normal baking soda works pretty well.

the soda at harbor freight is more cost effective. and for nuts and bolts I use a tumbler. works great and I dont have to do a thing.

Also curious how this would work on my engine components. Is it safe to run water over/thru it for the rinse?

I'll be following in on this, I need to clean some engine parts too.
Been looking at a cheap sandblaster, but I have no idea if its too hard on it?

Back
Top Bottom