1979 GS 750 café "Stella Green"

gmoore

Been Around the Block
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and motorcycles in general but i have been lurking, loitering and taking inspiration from all of the awesome builds here and have finally decided to post up my in process GS 750 build. I didn't really know exactly where to post it since it is somewhat of a hybrid café bobber tracker-ish thing so if you guys decide it isn't a café bike please move it to the bobber/bratbike section. I look forward to meeting you all and hearing what you guys think.

here are some pics of the bike when i got it. sorry about the poor quality pictures. the previous owner hardtailed it with a 9.5" metal bar and basically screwed EVERYTHING up but even in this sorry state the beast ran!
IMAG0027.jpg
IMAG0030.jpg
IMAG0029.jpg

Re: 1979 GS 750 café bobber thing (in process)

...and here is where I'm at now, 2 months later & probably 60% done? there is still lots of electrical junk to do as well as cleaning and painting some of the engine.

IMAG0033.jpg
IMAG0037.jpg
IMAG0036.jpg
IMAG0038.jpg

Re: 1979 GS 750 café bobber thing (in process)

Wow man! It's like night and day- good work!

Re: 1979 GS 750 café bobber thing (resurection in process)

hey thanks guys! i hope to have it done in the next few weeks or so. stay tuned!

I can't wait to get beyond electrical stuff & into tuning and polishing up the engine! who knows what kind of gremlins i'll encounter when i get there, haha.

i got my tank badges the other day and i'm pretty pumped, what do you all think?

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

the badges are about as "vintage" as suzuki gets with their logo.

Aaaah I remember this one from over on the GSR :)

Man I'll say it again, I love it! You deserve a medal for what you've done to rescue her...

Where'd you score the badges? They're great!

it's from this bike, the 1969 or 70 T350.

1970_T350_blue_right_450.jpg

Cool, thanks for that! I was thinking of painting the S on my tank when I get to that, but badges like that would look pretty good too...

I did a few things tonight but I think I need to make a to-do list. I get excited about doing certain things and then neglect others, often while I'm in the middle of the "other" things.

I added some foam to my seat design to make a little but stop & I also cut up some memory foam to possibly add tho the top for some added bonus cushion. i'm undecided as to whether or not i'll add the memory foam but I figured i'd try it, I'm really trying to find that delicate balance of function & fashion.

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

Also, any ideas on what to do about the the space @ the top of my fork gaiters? not entirely sure what to do but my first instinct is to get a couple circular drill bits, one the size of the fork tube and one the size if the gaiter and cut up some thick plastic and and use a zip tie to secure it.

IMAG0078.jpg

also did a little engine cleaning/polishing. any good suggestions on how to do this without taking the motor out?

IMAG0074.jpg

I also want to come up with a name for her, anything pop into your heads when you look at her?

Re: 1979 GS 750 café bobber thing (resurection in process) *update*

I haven't updated in a while but I have been hard at work! I just recently did a valve adjustment and a full carb breakdown/clean/re-jet. The valve adjustment itself was easy but a few bolts broke in the Head and it took me forever to drill them out and re-tap the holes, it was an effing PIA!

The bike is running a whole lot better now though but I've decided to do a few things differently.

1)I'm going to upgrade to and electronic ignition

2)I think I'm going to go a different direction with the rear end. I think I'm going to go for something like Troy's "beat the clock" build where the rear fender is mounted to the swing arm.

3)I'm going to clean the triangle out, any ideas where to get a REALLY small battery? also what are some good ideas for reg/rec mounting, battery mounting & other electronics mounting.

4)I'm going to get Clip-ons. I'm getting them for 2 reasons, looks & my master cylinder is too long and won't mount on my drag bars properly, it is preventing the controls from moving into a comfortable position. I also plan on lowering the front of the bike about an 1" or an 1 1/2" & then mounting the clip-ons above the triple tree so my riding position is still around the same as the drag bars but the bike has a nice flat profile.

I'll post up some Mock-up pictures to see what you guys think.

Re: 1979 GS 750 café bobber "Stella Green"

Here is a really crappy photoshop of what I was thinking
rearmock.jpg

Here it is w/o the crappy photoshop
IMAG0097.jpg

here is a closer look
IMAG0101.jpg

here is the other rump for comparison
IMAG0107.jpg

tweaked master cylinder
IMAG0099.jpg

OK, it has been a bit since I last updated but have been doing some work on her. I have changed my mind a couple of times now concerning the stylistic inspiration of the build. Initially I had this idea of a bratstyle, bobber café thing but as I worked on it there was something off with it. The lines weren't right. I spent a lot of time staring at her & scratching my head & then I just decided that I would have to go full on café with the build. It was what the bike was asking to be, the GS is more of a "sport bike" than anything else I suppose and I just wasn't listening. So here is where I'm at currently.

Here are some pics of the tail that I'm making out of foam. after this I plan on covering it in bondo, smoothing & shaping, painting with primer and then making a mold.

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

I got my clip-ons and I'm trying to decide what to do. I have been toying with the idea of clamping them above the triple trees. I'm interested in this for 2 reasons; 1) a little better riding position & 2) to hide the fork tubes popping up through through the trees. I'm looking for feedback so let me know if this is a dumbass idea or if others have gone this route as well. thanks!

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

looking like a sweet build, I'm also working on GS 750, I ma y have miss it in the post but I want to do after market gauges.

Back
Top Bottom