Honda XL250 Motorsport 72 cafe brat

And the seat begins.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 330
Now I'm going to test my upholstery skills.....which up till now are, none. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm going to use kangaroo leather in an orange tan.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 300
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 387
Exhaust has arrived! Now i just need to figure out where I want to mount it. I'm definitely going with a left side mount and high. The only question is how high, obviously away from my legs or ass, and how far back/forward. Some mock ups below. Still waiting for leather to arrive for seat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 321
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 316
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 330
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 369
this thing is looking great! pm me if you have any upholstery questions, i've been learning and would love to help any way i can. here's a few of mine...

411928644.jpg

411928648.jpg

Thanks, I will drop you a message, both of those seats look the goods! I think I'm going to try something like the dark brown one. Just not sure if I go with piping around the top or a straight seam?

Yeah. I think piping will be a bit too much for a first attempt at upholstery.

Xb33bsa. You are such a wanker it baffles me. Piss off and pester your friends......... Which I actually doubt you even have.

Awesome thread, I've enjoyed going through it to hear about your project.
I picked up an XL this last summer, and you've got me convinced now to tackle a tasteful update to the style. Like you I'm into a brat look, but want to be able to maintain it's soul. I'll be avoiding any major work that would take away from it's originality (only 3000 miles on it) so if someone wants to switch it back to stock one day, they could.

Attachments

• XL250_2.jpg
    XL250_2.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 325
  • XL250.jpg
    XL250.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 344
Hi Lorimer, thanks, my bike is slowly coming together and I'm glad you are enjoying the progress(It's a long and dusty road). Your bike looks in amazingly good Nick! I can certainly agree that you shouldn't get too creative with the frame etc, but im sure there are a few ways to "tidy the old girl up a bit". Keep me posted on your progress.

Hi hows is your project going? I have a Xl500 1978 and plan to do the same thing....are those the original forks and how did you go about lowering them also what size rim do you have in the front... regards Wentz South Africa.

Well.....its been a while. Busy at work, with the kids and generally living life has had the bike on the back burner. Time to get moving again as winter here in Aus is slowly drawing to a close and sweet sweet Spring, summer and Autumn await. I've stripped the frame down and it's time for paint! I am heading to the store tomorrow to pick a colour and I'm tempted to go a little outside the box.....maybe an oxide red or a primer grey....who knows. I'll try to keep the updates coming now I'm back on he horse.

Also, Wentzel, thanks for the comments. I lowered the forks by taking them apart and using an aluminium tube as a spacer. It's easily googled if you want detailed instructions. The front rim is off a CB175 and is 18inch. I like the drum brake especially and the hub bolts straight to the XL forks with no modifications. You will need to manufacture a brace/bracket for the brakes though. It's an easy switch, as far as wheels go anyway

Love it so far Sheep! Good inspiration to get back onto my project. Just started cleaning up the wheels last night. Engine is done though and frame is de-tabbed!
141204e1d4acfea8402556953c1d4c13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michn. That engine looks pretty pimped! Cheers for the ups! I got down to the paint shop today and made a decision....which can be seen below. (Sand colour is the finish) I like it, I'm sure some won't, but I think it's will look good once I'm done. More coats, more coats.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 318
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 298
Hey Brodie! Mate, I've only just made a decision on the frame......after about three years, and you want me to make another one on the tank and engine already? Haha. Nah, I've been thinking I would keep the tank bare metal and just give the engine a bit of polish where I can but now I'm not so sure. I do love the XT/XL 500 ranks of the period so maybe something along those lines...

Haha. Red will most probably be involved somewhere..... So, started piecing her back together and got her running this afternoon. Was nice to here it cackle to life (cackle being the word without a muffler!). As you can see I still need to tidy up the wiring, controls, lights, seat, tank etc etc. haha.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 332
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 321
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 301
Back
Top Bottom