Ramsgate Sprint Revival

Titan performance

Titan cafe racer builders.
Hello to all you fellow UK DOT'ers.
My partner in Titan Performance, Tim Hart, along with me and our colleagues from the East Kent Classic Motorcycle club, has master-minded an event for next year, recreating the sprint races that took place on the under-cliff road in Ramsgate, twice yearly from 1956 to 1968. The original events were hosted by the Sunbeam owner's club, who, we have invited to oversee the event next year. Apart from classic sprinting at the original location, there will also be period static displays on Government Acre, a green on the cliff top above the racing. We already have massive interest from displayers and racers, and in fact there are over a dozen machines competing that raced in the original events back in the day. It promises to be a large event, with pedestrian entry free of charge. Obviously there will be a charge for competing and displaying to cover costs. The event is scheduled for August 15th and 16th, and will be attended by our guest of honour, Jim Redman MBE, six times world champion in the 60's. Jim also won 6 TTs on his favoured 250s and 350s. On the evening of Friday 14th August, Jim will be giving a talk in Ramsgate, as part of the event. If any of you fancy coming along, or competing, let me know, and I will of course help out.
Put it in your diaries.

Titan performance said:
Hello to all you fellow UK DOT'ers.
My partner in Titan Performance, Tim Hart, along with me and our colleagues from the East Kent Classic Motorcycle club, has master-minded an event for next year, recreating the sprint races that took place on the under-cliff road in Ramsgate, twice yearly from 1956 to 1968. The original events were hosted by the Sunbeam owner's club, who, we have invited to oversee the event next year. Apart from classic sprinting at the original location, there will also be period static displays on Government Acre, a green on the cliff top above the racing. We already have massive interest from displayers and racers, and in fact there are over a dozen machines competing that raced in the original events back in the day. It promises to be a large event, with pedestrian entry free of charge. Obviously there will be a charge for competing and displaying to cover costs. The event is scheduled for August 15th and 16th, and will be attended by our guest of honour, Jim Redman MBE, six times world champion in the 60's. Jim also won 6 TTs on his favoured 250s and 350s. On the evening of Friday 14th August, Jim will be giving a talk in Ramsgate, as part of the event. If any of you fancy coming along, or competing, let me know, and I will of course help out.
Put it in your diaries.

Duly noted .................... space for a DTT /UK presence ?

Bloody hell.....how much red tape to hack through?!!!
Over 5 months ago, the ACU visited the venue of our proposed classic sprint demonstration this coming August. To our surprise, they said they would rather the event was a full blown competition rather than just a demo.....we have been waiting ever since for them to issue us with the appropriate permits, when, two weeks ago they tell us that we can only run a demo, not a full competition !
Doh !........We don't care either way, so it appears our permits are now imminent, hoorah ! We have an event.
The dates are, August 15 and 16....and there will be lots of people staying over night if any of you fancy a great weekend by the sea. Sprint bikes can be no newer than 72, and nothing blown or nitrous.....but if you have a qualifying bike and fancy attending, or even just being part of the static display, make contact through the Ramsgate Sprint Revival web site.

The hoops have been jumped through, and it looks as though the event will happen as hoped. We have done a number of local shows and handed out zillions of fliers promoting the event.....we have taken the little Ducati sprinter along which causes a lot of interest everywhere it goes. Tomorrow is the Margate Meltdown, which will be heaving...today was Deal and Walmer classic show, which was very busy too.
Here's my partner Lucy, posing on the sprinter.....

Attachments

• lucy sprint 001.JPG
    lucy sprint 001.JPG
    486.7 KB · Views: 343
Five weeks this weekend and the Ramsgate Sprint Revival will be happening. It's been quite a journey so far, but it's very definitely on. We have 68 competitors, including over 20 bikes that raced in the original event between 56 and 68. The static show arena is all pretty much booked up, and the live entertainments, from bands and dancing girls to the wall of death, are secured. We are hitting the publicity quite hard now, starting with a Meridian TV interview which was filmed on Friday. There will be articles in numerous motorcycle mags between now and the event.
The entire event is free to visitors, so get yourselves to the seaside for the weekend and enjoy the action. In fact, come on the Friday, and kick it off with the Jim Redman evening at 7.30 in Ramsgate.....tickets are just £13.50, and can be purchased on-line through the Sprint web site. www.ramsgatesprintrevival.com

Attachments

• jim.jpg
    jim.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 545
miffa said:
shame sounds my cup of tea but wont be around for those dates ,any chance you could move it to the following weekend,i will be back off me hols then..........LOL

FUTTOX ...................................me too !!!!!!!

Good luck with the event - deserves success.

Hadn't realised it was happening til I just read this thread, will definitely be attending and well done with getting it all organised! Years ago, I worked at Goodwood and helped out a bit with the first FoS so have some idea of whats involved and guessing its a lot harder nowadays.....best wishes!!

Just wanted to say I went both days ...very enjoyable, good atmosphere, lots of nice bikes and well organised....well done!! Hope it can happen again next year, if it does will be very tempted to have a go myself!

Thank you Unclerob, glad you could make it. We were delighted with the result. We have no event experience at all, but it went so well, and the attendance level on both days was through the roof...beyond our wildest dreams. We will definitely be trying for next, if not every year from here on.
I should point out that this first picture was taken before the gates opened.....the place was mobbed once the public were allowed in.

Attachments

• sprint 014.JPG
    sprint 014.JPG
    806.5 KB · Views: 251
  • sprint 010.JPG
    sprint 010.JPG
    499.3 KB · Views: 259
  • sprint 013.JPG
    sprint 013.JPG
    454.6 KB · Views: 247
  • sprint 012.JPG
    sprint 012.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 247
  • sprint 020.JPG
    sprint 020.JPG
    665 KB · Views: 241
Congratulations on a super event Titan boys - AND Jim Redman as a flag man !! Kudos.

I hope it does become a regular spot on the calandar - you deserve it for all your efforts and determination.

Kind words....thanks Beach. It really did go well, and now the dust has settled, even those that were saying "never again !", have changed tune. It will be happening again...annually, if not twice yearly. Bigger and better !

Some months have passed since my last post on this subject, and there has indeed been some drama since. The main problem has been the venue availability. For years, a churchy gathering called Lark in the Park have occupied the site for a couple of weeks during the middle of August....we nicked the dates off them last year (inadvertantly), as they hadn't booked it when we approached the council re the Sprint. They didn't hurry as they have never had any competition for the dates. However, this year (16) they were straight in there, and had it booked somehow, before the diary was even open?
The Sprint had proven so popular, with an estimated 14000 visitors, that the locals petitioned the council, who then arranged a meeting between all parties, and a compromise was reached. So I am very pleased to be able to announce that the 2016 Sprint will be held this year on the 13/14 of August....so get that in your diary !
We are aiming for bigger and better still, and I am looking for a major sponsor for this event which is only going to get bigger and bigger. If anyone has any good ideas in this area.....please tell.
Hope to see you there. http://promote-ramsgate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/sprint-revival.html#comment-form

Attachments

• Ramsgate Sprint 504.jpg
    Ramsgate Sprint 504.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 221
  • Ramsgate Sprint 461.jpg
    Ramsgate Sprint 461.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 231
  • Ramsgate Sprint 511.jpg
    Ramsgate Sprint 511.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 223
Back
Top Bottom