School me on CC and insurance

cosworth

Coast to Coast
Here in Canada, insurance is cheap up until 400cc. At 401cc, you jump nearly triple in cost just for basic. Just to park it on the street. No coverage for theft, fire or collision etc. I pay about 15 pounds a month right now to insure my 250 with basic. If I had a 400cc bike, it would be very similar.

In the UK, I know there are ridiculous variables, home owner, locked up, time riding etc. But I just would like to know where the big jumps in CC are in relation to cost. There is a possibility I'm moving to Twickenham in London in the future and I'd like to think about keeping bikes or selling them for the move.

London postal address will be significant for any insurance !

If your bikes qualify for classic insurance that's the best way to go. You get an agreed write off / loss value, and they are usually fully comprehensive.

I could do a "ghost" enquiry if you want to send me some details - bike, age, riding experience any claims, etc..

Classic insurance here means the bike has to be nearly pristine and stock. Like really stock. Same rules there or is it based on age alone?

Age alone, condition doesn't come into it.

Also, you'd be surprised at what is classified as a "classic" by the insurers. ::)

Fr'instance my BMW K100 is a "classic" - yes really.

Bodywork / accessory mods are usually OK - anything mechanical will probably mean "specials" insurance.

Back
Top Bottom