74 cb360 options

linedrive1

Durham, NC
I'm new to the cafe (and project) scene. I bought a 1974 CB360 that is in pretty good shape (engine and frame wise). My concern is the fork. The upper and lower triple trees are cracked. Having built and raced bicycles for many years, you would just swap out the fork... is that an option, and if so, what are the best forks (price-wise and availability)? Do I have any other options (aftermarket trees for the 360?)? I like to get a handle on things mentally and plan things out before jumping in with both feet.

the 350f and 400f front ends are from what I can tell, the same as the 360, except the top tree of the 350/400 doesn't have holes for rubber mounted handlebars. I found it pretty easy to put a 750 front end on my 350, just winds up having some extra fork tube coming from the top of the tree, I would assume the 360 and 350 twins have the same neck dimensions, so you could probably do the 750 end on the 360 as well. I also find the front end of the 360 doesn't seem too stiff, so a 750 replacement is probably a good improvement.

yes but I would look into a swap... once stuff like that cracks it is normally due to the bike being dropped. You will have to check the trueness of the forks, but if the trees are cracked, I bet the forks are bent... not to mention you will need to rebuild them most likely, and a swap could be way easier and cheaper.

I would just look into a set of CB750 forks and tripple tree. It sounds like more work, but it will be about the same and parts for the CB-750's are dime a dozen.
Welcome to DTT BTW.

Welcome man! Where ya signin' in from?

IMO, do not reuse them. Sure they can be welded, but why take the chance that your trees are going to break when you have so many options.

Ok... I was wrong... I looked again this morning before leaving for work. The upper tree is cracked (near each fork holes). The lower tree is just rusted, but no fractures (that I can see).

I guess I'll look for a 750 front end. I plan on putting on clip-ons for bars.

Thanks for the replies. BTW, I am in Durham NC. Thanks for the welcomes.
... Line

Back
Top Bottom