island racer

mk2sean

Good morning World.

I am new to the scene. Well, the Cafe Racer one anyway.

I have a few vehicles but as yet not a cafe racer.

I have big dreams and hope to put them into reality.

Been looking at CB750 options but at the first hurdle i am stuck!! lol. What age or mark is the best to use as a donor bike? I am based in the UK, Orkney, a small island to teh north of Scotland.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Sean

Happy Sunday to you too......

Welcome from Georgia, USA.............

In my opinion..........................any 70's year CB750 up to 76.

Others may chime in, but this is just my opinion, considering I have a few different bikes.

Hi.

What are the differences in the years of them?

Been looking at this, it is some distance away from me but as its a total strip down and rebuild i dont suppose the condition matters too much and i could afford to buy blind, what you guys think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-HONDA-CB750-F2/352202990845?hash=item5200ef24fd:g:l3EAAOSwZ4dZHFrj

Sean.

Sean,

What sort of roads do you have up there to ride on? Apart from trying to avoid those odd small sheep that grow up in those parts, are teh roads small and winding or do you have a chance to open it up? What I'm getting at is that maybe a smaller 4 or maybe a twin might be better suited to riding where you are than a heavy and wide old clunker - regardless of how cool an old 750 looks. Maybe build a street tracker which fits in the same general genre and is much easier to ride on rough or twisty roads.

Teazer.

The roads are fine, we got some tarmac last week which is great, lol. But seriously, we have a great mixture of roads up here. Its very much like the isle of man set up for roads maybe on a smaller scale. A few bigger A roads with the B's branching off them.

Not really interested in the speed aspect on this bike as have others to meet that requirement. Just always loved the style of them, also i am quite a big unit at 6'2" and 16 stone so might need a 750 to haul my ass around.

Loving all the products on " cognito moto ", shopping list is growing lol. Just need to source this doner bike.

Thanks for all the advice so far lads.

Dude I rebuilt and chopped up an '81 750K and it runs and looks pretty sweet. Great bikes to work on, couple of things to look out for (cam chain tensioner bolt thread can strip and may need re-working) but really a pretty bullet-proof bike with a great engine and sweet lines. Tank is not to everyones taste (I really like it) as it doesn't follow the straight horizontal lines of earlier 750's, but totally workable. Check out my thread for a better look at what I did and how I did it - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72170.0

Good luck with the search!

If you are thinking of a CB750, then I would go with the DOHC 750, they are usually cheaper and they have more power and handle a lot better. As cool as the SOHC 750's are, they don't perform nearly as well as the DOHC's. They have twice as many valves and use shims to set valve clearances so that is one thing to consider though.

In the UK SOHC CB750s are expensive, the early 80s dohc bikes are rare, so uou're probably best off with the F2N from the 90s.

But why limit yourself to CB750s, why not look at other bikes?

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom