1981 GS750E (GSX750E) Dented Cafe Racer ( Currently doing GSX-R USD conversion)

Nice work!

That paintworks great.

I'm curious about your pegs, did you run all the textured bits on a lathe or on a multi axis cnc? I recently acquired a lathe but have very little experience on one so its a learning experience.

Any information is appreciated and keep up the good work. looking forward to seeing this build.

Thank you :)

IMG_20170712_170300 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

The pegs are made on both the lathe and the mill. Here is a photo from a test I did with some plastic. When moving to aluminum I went down in size for the mill endpiece, I used a 3.2 mm Dremel round head. I also had to make a support to make it rigid enough.

IMG_20180522_142551 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

As you can see from the setup above, I have a device attached to the mill that I can turn by any number of degrees. Should have had a video, but I guess you get the picture.. The lengthwise grooves are made with the mill.

As you can see in the final picture, you can experiment with how deep the grooves are made to get a kind of weaving pattern if you want.

IMG_20180522_163657 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

That's what I was hoping to see. That must have taken some time on the mill. Thanks for the info, i'm going to try to tackle some pegs on the lathe and was thinking about something along these lines or maybe just a knurled pattern.

Time for updates.. Got the engine together today. Was a bit of a hassle bechause previous owners had ruined the threads on almost half of the 20 bolts on the valve cover. That will be a task for later, to fix the threads and get a set of new suzuki bolts.

I ordered a set of oversize oil drain plug and tap, becuase there was no more threads left in the pan. This seems to be the story of the engine, there are broken threads everywhere. Two of the exhausts bolt threads are also gone. More people should learn to use a torque wrench.. :/

Here is the new fancy bolt:

Oil drain plug magnet by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Oil drain plug by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

I sodablasted the whole engine and masked off the already painted covers before I sprayed the rest of the engine. I think the stainless hexbolt set look pretty good

Paint and stainless bolts by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

The gasket set was missing one, so I made it.. close enough

Homemade gasket by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Looking good! Slick move sliding the frame over the engine when its on its side. I'll have to remember that when I start reassembly.

Thanks!

Here are some photos of my 520 conversion. The rear sprocket is for a Suzuki DR 750 and the front sprocket is for various 90's Kawasakis. The chain is a very narrow d.i.d chain.

Front first. The sprocket has a section which is 2.6mm wider as shown here:

IMG_20180809_171020 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

On the inside of the sprocket I have 6mm spacer similar to the one you see between the sprocket and the nut. The reason I have a spacer on the outside is because I'm missing the retainer washer. It's in the mail.. When I had it mounted like this the chain was to close to the rear tire. I flipped the front sprocket and put two 1.3mm washers behind the rear sprocket. Now there is 7mm clearance between chain and tire. I believe that is enough. I will at least try it for a while. With this configuration I can also use the original rear sprocket bolts.

IMG_20180809_172232 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

IMG_20180809_172737 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

IMG_20180809_172701 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

LKS said:
Thanks!

Here are some photos of my 520 conversion. The rear sprocket is for a Suzuki DR 750 and the front sprocket is for various 90's Kawasakis. The chain is a very narrow d.i.d chain.

Front first. The sprocket has a section which is 2.6mm wider as shown here:

IMG_20180809_171020 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

On the inside of the sprocket I have 6mm spacer similar to the one you see between the sprocket and the nut. The reason I have a spacer on the outside is because I'm missing the retainer washer. It's in the mail.. When I had it mounted like this the chain was to close to the rear tire. I flipped the front sprocket and put two 1.3mm washers behind the rear sprocket. Now there is 7mm clearance between chain and tire. I believe that is enough. I will at least try it for a while. With this configuration I can also use the original rear sprocket bolts.

IMG_20180809_172232 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

IMG_20180809_172737 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

IMG_20180809_172701 by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr
Lookin' good, dude!

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a40 using DO THE TON mobile app

Tried to make the tube at the end a little wider by hammering a stepped tube inside it. This clipped two of te rivets holding the muffler together. I drilled out the last one and took it apart.

Clipped rivet by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Stuffing by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Hammered lightly on the inner ring to set the pieces together.

Separated by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Put it back together with new pop rivets. From now I'll treat the two parts as one and mask off the bend before I powdercoat the muffler.

Back together by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom