‘68 Honda CL450 - First Build

Re: ‘68 Honda CL450 - First Build

Thanks Teazer. Sounds like more work than it's worth.

Got it back together, with all the parts! It took longer to clean the gasket off the case halves again than it did to install the parts. Oh well, lesson learned.

Can someone please confirm that this part of the gear shift assembly is assembled correctly?

Sent from my iPhone
’68 Honda CL450

Attachments

• IMG_2906.JPG
    IMG_2906.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 311
So I think the next piece is to do a light hone of the cylinders and replace the piston rings.

I was planning to get one of the flex hone style tools. 240 grit?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Finally getting some time to get some work done on this bike. I’m bringing my 11 year old son in on this project, he is a total gear-head and is a good hand in the shop. I’m signing him up here in the forum and am going to have him posting updates. I’m hoping he will get some good encouragement and advice from everyone here!

Hi, I am Ethan’s son James. As he has all ready said I am 11 years old and I absolutely love any sort of motorized vehicle. Some time in the future I am looking forwards to posting some pictures and questions about the rebuild.

Hi, James. This is a great way to learn more about the machines (and your dad). Just don't learn any of the new words that you may hear when Dad gets stumped!

pidjones said:
Hi, James. This is a great way to learn more about the machines (and your dad). Just don't learn any of the new words that you may hear when Dad gets stumped!
Thanks pidjones.I will try not to learn some of his language!!

Sent from my iPhone
’68 Honda CL450

We got the clutch and generator motor assembled and put on the engine today.

Sent from my iPhone
’68 Honda CL450

Attachments

• IMG_4811.JPG
    IMG_4811.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4810.JPG
    IMG_4810.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 182

JamesA said:
Hi, I am Ethan’s son James. As he has all ready said I am 11 years old and I absolutely love any sort of motorized vehicle. Some time in the future I am looking forwards to posting some pictures and questions about the rebuild.

Welcome to the fray buddy. I was one of the lucky ones (like you) who got to work on all manner of motorized projects next to my father. Any manner of question can and will be answered here. Once you get older, you may be one of the few around who will have the knowledge to keep these vintage machines pounding the pavement.

Remember this quote as you learn about these machines, it has impacted me through the years.

"knowledge is the only thing that you can truly own, for you can sell it or give it away and still keep it."

Enjoy the build, we will enjoy watching it!

‘68 Honda CL450 - First Build

Hurco550 said:
Welcome to the fray buddy. I was one of the lucky ones (like you) who got to work on all manner of motorized projects next to my father. Any manner of question can and will be answered here. Once you get older, you may be one of the few around who will have the knowledge to keep these vintage machines pounding the pavement.

Remember this quote as you learn about these machines, it has impacted me through the years.

"knowledge is the only thing that you can truly own, for you can sell it or give it away and still keep it."

Enjoy the build, we will enjoy watching it!
Thanks hurco550

Sent from my iPhone
’68 Honda CL450

Quick carburetor question. We picked up a Mikuni VM32 carb with the left hand idle screw, but missed out on the auction for the other with the right hand idle screw. I’m having a harder time finding a good deal on the VM32-193 (right hand idle) and was wondering if there is an issue with using two of the left hand idle carbs? Other than the hassle of tuning of course.

The idle screw and the choke lever will be on the wrong side. The hassle is certainly the issue, so you have to make sure you can get a screw driver on the idle screw very efficiently while it's running.

Hi James and Ethan. So nice to hear of a family effort together. Time well spent personified. My son is 12 and it is awesome to share experiences and knowledge with each other. I will share your build with him and hopefully inspire him to spend some more time in the shop with good old dad. Happy holidays!

Hi James and Ethan. So nice to hear of a family effort together. Time well spent personified. My son is 12 and it is awesome to share experiences and knowledge with each other. I will share your build with him and hopefully inspire him to spend some more time in the shop with good old dad. Happy holidays!

Father-son time is great! I’ll get James to post some more updates. We are getting close to completing the engine.

Sent from my iPhone
’68 Honda CL450

Headed to the auto junk yard tomorrow with my boys to hopefully find a donor bike...

Engine parts needed:
starter
clutch
clutch cover/right crank case cover
oil pump
oil filter and cover
generator rotor
generator stator and left crank case cover
starting motor sprocket, starting sprocket set plate, starting sprocket
exhaust flanges
oil drain plug

Depending on what I find I'll also look for another front and rear fenders, carbs, etc.

I have everything on your list except the starter if you cant find it

Back
Top Bottom