Softail bobber

Hey, if any of you guys is into wood working and need a belt sander, let me know. I can ride it right over!!! :lol:

009-27.jpg

Ya Ya, the tailight is temp!!

011-12.jpg

As far as that dude who said it isnt a bobber....really.....not a bobber?? Then I saw the bike in his avatar and I realized what I was dealing with. :p

Hey dude, ya wanna build a Honda, look at the one under this sentence, now thats a Honda!!!

very nice man! is that a primo, baker or other? i am not sure i have seen that rack design before? how many spring set up did you go with?the last chop we did with an open primary was my brothers chop, did a 9 spring.... did a hydro clutch and even with that it was a bitch to pull in and out but man did it convert power awesome!... really dig it. you get bored with that polished let me know i can cut you a great price on the powder to either color match the texture on the motor, HD wrinkle, or flat black even... hell we could do the tank at the same time, hahahaha really dig it buddy really do

here is the one we ran on the chop
224535_111368268961742_1962756_n.jpg

Nice bike. This primary is an ultima. I liked how it had the outside bearing support on the pulleys. I think the clutch had 5 springs if I recall, there is a pic of it somewhere.

So I spent a couple hours today makin up some temp dog bones for the lower shock linkage. The ride height of the bike has been buggin me. The rear end was a little too low. The rear axle was actually slightly higher than the swinger pivot bolt, creating a sagging look if you looked at the bike from the side. I made the dog bones approx 1 and 1/4" shorter. This raised the rear of the bike a couple of inches. I like the look much better and I am sure I will like the ride height also when I take it for a spin. I did go to the end of the road last night just to test out the open primary. Went well, no problems. 8)

new ride height (probably gonna have to trim a link from the chain)

001-107.jpg

Old ride height (see the sag in the middle of the bike)

005-71.jpg

that is bad ass .
props for going your own way with it!
i have definately never seen a big twin with a sportbike swingarm....
+10 points for thinking out of the square!

i am just imagining it with a slightly longer tank and the seat moved slightly rearward, giving it a slightly more balanced look...
just daydreaming though..
once again........nice work

Well that's something completely different! I like it! Nice work! Can't wait to see version 2.0 completed!

The mock up of the rear fender idea. I like it. ;D

I just have to bring it to a guy to tack the little aluminum tabs to the arm.
Feedback???? :-\

008_zps03e672e2.jpg

005_zps7c5ba0f6.jpg

006_zpse29df7be.jpg

007_zpsa01b0452.jpg

003_zps8a8bbecc.jpg

i think it needs more shape, more curve, have you tried to cut the center out of the stock one maybe? that is just to boxy when the rest of the bike is so round and has great flow

Screw it!!! :mad:

I just bought a used hot bodies bolt on hugger fender off ebay. It is sorta like the stock mud guard, just bigger. I think it will look pretty good and no welding or fabbing involved, bolt on!!! ;D

hey! pretty cool bike bud! It grew on me too! wasnt sure whats it gonna b after firs pics but later..
well done! I like it. Going your own way 8)

spyra78 said:
hey! pretty cool bike bud! It grew on me too! wasnt sure whats it gonna b after firs pics but later..
well done! I like it. Going your own way 8)

Thanx. I was really rollin the dice by trying to fab the japanese suspension to the harley and hopin everything came together!!! It was a miracle that it actually came together and the second miracle is that it actually looks pretty bad ass (IMHO)!!! So anyway, I really love the bike now. Very unique for sure!!!

Bolted on the hugger. Looks pretty good, just have to decide what I am gonna do with the tank and hugger as far as final color / finish.

003_zpsa01f7f7b.jpg

005_zps9c9df6ac.jpg

Took the bike to a HD mechanic today to look at the tranny / shifting issue. He advised that there is a spring in the shifter mech that is not functioning properly, either snapped or whatever. The only problem is that the entire gear pack has to come out of the tranny, including removing the primary. I was lookin at 10 hours labor!!!! He said if I pulled the tranny out of the bike and brought it to him, it would be a quick job, couple hours. Soooooo..........here I go AGAIN!!!!!!! Tear the whole frigger apart!!!!! Oh well, at least it is not riding season.

dude it is really not that hard at all! while in there and you have the tranny out... replace the needle bearings inside the case as well as guide bearings on the gears themselves... also check your dogs to make sure they are strait... i have pulled mine out 4 or 5 times, if you have any questions at all let me know! do not remove your primary drive pulley as you will not need to in order to get it out. just the nut at the end, tap tap with rubber mallet and it will pop out, dont pull it off the trap door, there is no reason to do that. if you need pics or anthing at all let me know i have a ton!

you may want to ask what spring it is! if it is the shifter arm spring (they go bad) you can replace that though the inspection cover on top (looks like this)

553710_10150689185243073_448526257_n.jpg

what usually fails is the bend over the arm you see here (this is a dyna so yours is a bit different but not much)
545574_10150689185273073_91856525_n.jpg

553710_10150689185243073_448526257_n.jpg

while you are in there you may want to upgrade to an easy pull clutch ramp, just get the back and top ramp rather than the kit from HD it is like $30 and makes a nice upgrade
523501_10150699436128073_1841906470_n.jpg

these are the needles you want to replace inside
524301_10150703749358073_1463780470_n.jpg

my issue was a cracked dog and stripped spines on the shifter drum
545931_10150703722248073_170161304_n.jpg

let me know if i can help at all, it really is not that bad of a job, just $$$ with all the gaskets and bull shit it takes to get to it. least you do not need any crazy tools, if you do need the trap door puller let me know

Thanx for all the info bro. He explained that based upon his inspection of the bike and feeling the shifter movement and all, he felt it was the spring that requires the gear pack removal. I am gonna rip the tranny out and bring it to him so he can go through it. I will mention those upgrades and get a price to do the whole thing. I would just feel better have a professional mechanic in the tranny. I will save big bucks pulling it myself, just a pain in the ass because the starter and oil tank have to come out. Not a big deal, I can have it out in an afternoon. I guess I will pull that inspection cover and just check that other spring before I rip it all apart, who knows, maybe get lucky. ;D

good trick to get to the 2 allen bolts on the starter (you do not have to remove it just remove the bolts that secure it to the inner primary) use a wobble socket extension, and long allen sockets, works awesome, you can snag up both from harbor freight for like $15 bucks for the both. those wobble extensions are priceless when workin on a HD, they work great for exhaust install/removal as well

I already have some because I had to detach that starter from the inner primary like 6 times during this build!!!! :mad:

Tranny gettin repaired. Might get it back by the wekend for re-install.

Now for the important stuff!!! ;D

black?? (I think too much black)

black_zpsb0e2f1ff.jpg

It really wasnt "too black" before. Looked pretty bad ass!!

002-92.jpg

Orange?? (NAAAHHHHHHHH)

orange_zpsde3059a3.jpg

I really think I like it just the way it is!!

001_zps510b9eba.jpg

I am also switchin to white header wrap to break up the profile a bit. 8)

So anyway, I was liking the hugger, but it was stickin out too much or something. I dont know why it took so long to figure out that if I blacked it out I could have the same look, just a little subdued!!! I like it!!! ;D

Before, too much hugger.

001_zps510b9eba.jpg

After, way better!!

002_zps530b6f7a.jpg

As soon as I start havin fun it is time to go to work!!!! Oh well, I get her back together this week.

New shifter prawl mechanism, new seals and gaskets. It was that little spring that had snapped!!!!

001_zpsf45f192b.jpg

002_zps2de5a26e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom